The new Critter Nation!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can bring baby chinchillas into the world. The question is if you are bringing high-quality chinchillas, to better the species- into this world.

Wow, that just struck me as very... I don't even have a word for it. Not everything needs to be bred to "better the species". I think some one in Germany once thought about doing this with people, maybe? Or maybe that one time in Rowanda....
If she wants to breed chinchillas as pets for those in her community that is up to her. If she feels upto trying to breed she is allowed to do so and I don't see why people need to be angry with her. I recieved Sasha second hand from such a place and she is gorgeous and friendly and fufills everything I want in a pet.

MzTay2010-

Your cage looks great! I'm sure your chins love it! I looked at the critter Nation two level myself. But I like the mesh to have bigger gaps for drive by chin scritching manuverablity.

Your cage looks great! I'm sure your chins love it! I looked at the critter Nation two level myself. But I like the mesh to have bigger gaps for drive by chin scritching manuverablity.

Well said. :) That's the same reason I prefer the FN over the CN.

Wow, that just struck me as very... I don't even have a word for it. Not everything needs to be bred to "better the species". I think some one in Germany once thought about doing this with people, maybe? Or maybe that one time in Rowanda....
If she wants to breed chinchillas as pets for those in her community that is up to her. If she feels upto trying to breed she is allowed to do so and I don't see why people need to be angry with her. I recieved Sasha second hand from such a place and she is gorgeous and friendly and fufills everything I want in a pet.
QUOTE]

Ok, there's a different between animals and people.

Poorly bred chinchillas have genetic issues from something as 'simple' as fur chewing to things as horribly traumatic as malo. Just like dogs were over bred and now you have breeds that have hip dyslpasia and are prone to bloat, and how many other issues. This is why you only breed quality animals.

Did you know, that if a chin has malocclusion that it may not show up til later in life. By that time, that chin could have produced numerous litters. Well, as a matter of fact, malocclusion can be genetic. So now you have many chins who are prone to malo. And assuming that not all of these new owners are going to be knowledgeable about what to look for in malo, these chins are going to die a slow painful death. Malo, when the roots grow into the jaw or eye sockets can not be cured. So yes, lets just breed for the fun of it. Lets bring more chins in the world not knowing if they have malo. I mean, after all, everyone should have a chin to love. Who cares if it might die a painful death due to poor breeding?

Now, a reputable breeder keeps records of their chins. If they knew that one of their chins got malo, that chin would be taken out of breeding. But by not knowing the background of your chins, you don't know where they came from and if they were a breeder that looks out for malo.

You'd be better off getting chins from a breeder who can tell you of their quality. It's not about race like in humans. You can't even compare the two. But, from the answers given in this thread, I can assume nothing is really going to change..

Ok, there's a different between animals and people.

Poorly bred chinchillas have genetic issues from something as 'simple' as fur chewing to things as horribly traumatic as malo. Just like dogs were over bred and now you have breeds that have hip dyslpasia and are prone to bloat, and how many other issues. This is why you only breed quality animals.

Ok this is infact a second draft. I wrote a huge paragragh about quality vs only the best and how we cannot accurately account her chinchilla's quality or how she will provide for them or how it will turn out. But this is getting remarkably off topic. She obviously cares alot about her chinchillas and has purchased a very nice cage and decorated it very well.

I wonder if anyone else has a Critter Nation cage?

Did you know, that if a chin has malocclusion that it may not show up til later in life. By that time, that chin could have produced numerous litters. Well, as a matter of fact, malocclusion can be genetic. So now you have many chins who are prone to malo. And assuming that not all of these new owners are going to be knowledgeable about what to look for in malo, these chins are going to die a slow painful death. Malo, when the roots grow into the jaw or eye sockets can not be cured. So yes, lets just breed for the fun of it. Lets bring more chins in the world not knowing if they have malo. I mean, after all, everyone should have a chin to love. Who cares if it might die a painful death due to poor breeding?

Now, a reputable breeder keeps records of their chins. If they knew that one of their chins got malo, that chin would be taken out of breeding. But by not knowing the background of your chins, you don't know where they came from and if they were a breeder that looks out for malo.

You'd be better off getting chins from a breeder who can tell you of their quality. It's not about race like in humans. You can't even compare the two. But, from the answers given in this thread, I can assume nothing is really going to change..

Alright I never bought my chinchillas with intentions on breeding them.But if it just happens that they do have babies, all the better. So your little remarks are not going to make me change my mind. By the way thanks evening chin for realizing something so simple which is that I do love my chins and they will always receive the best of care.

Now back to the subject of what I started this thread for which was for people with the New Critter Nation cage to show off pictures, discuss prices, and most of all show your chins enjoying themselves in the Critter Nation!

::shutup::

Alright I never bought my chinchillas with intentions on breeding them.But if it just happens that they do have babies, all the better. So your little remarks are not going to make me change my mind. By the way thanks evening chin for realizing something so simple which is that I do love my chins and they will always receive the best of care.

Now back to the subject of what I started this thread for which was for people with the New Critter Nation cage to show off pictures, discuss prices, and most of all show your chins enjoying themselves in the Critter Nation!

::shutup::
That is a poor attitude to have.

That is a poor attitude to have.

Agreed. But, you know, if the mother dies in the birthing process because of complications or the babies suffer genetic, fatal and painful problems, "it happens". Remember?

Also, to who ever said they liked the FN because of the larger bar spacer, I agree! I love giving my babies scritches through the bars. :) And they loooovveeee sticking their noses through larger bars to steal sticks from my fingers.

Oi! I don't think she has a poor attitude toward how she is going to breed her chins I think she is frusterated with people jumping down her throat. Which will only prove to make her (and anyone else) more stubborn and now even with kind gentle guidence won't change her mind. Most of her reaction while spurring every one to become more aggressive have been her trying to shrug off the subject because the conversation was spiraling away from her attempt to find other people who like the CN cage. But yes threatening horrible events and being abrasive will of course make them realize the error in there ways. I think a little kindness and maybe help a different direction will go alot further.

Do I know that these are all real possibilities and dangers in breeding? Yes I do but I think tact would have had a better out come. Will I regret writing any of this because it will get me yelled at? Probably.

I personally really like the CN the bars are too thin for my taste but they look beautiful and are less expensive. I really like their doors too. I especially like how MzTay has color coordinated all her fleece. I think it looks really good, and when the new cage is finished I plan on doing the same.

Whoa who's the aggressor here? I didn't see anyone attacking the OP. What's more tactful than pure, unadulterated truth? I'd rather have someone be straight up with me, not sugar coat things and beat around the bush. We all want what's best for these animals. For pet owners and their chinchillas, why risk the lives of your favorite fuzzies just for the sake of having babies, and unknowingly breeding kits with possible defects and quality? Just let them live out their spoiled lives in that Critter Nation. There is no need to just put them together to see what happens. It is simply irresponsible for the animal, for its babies, and of the unexperienced owner/wannabe breeder to create such a situation.

The OP was the one who brought up "having babies" in this thread - so it's not exactly off topic. If she didn't want it discussed, maybe she shouldn't have slipped that tidbit in the "pros" of this cage as she sees it. Of course, the members that disagree with the OP are going to rebut that....there is nothing wrong with the course the thread has taken at this point...other than the attitude in which some of the responses have been taken.

I, personally,at no point condone what she is planning. But I will not jump on her for thinking about it. I have bred animals before for show, rabbits not chinchillas and I fully understand all the repercussions and hazards of breeding. Tact is not pure, unadulterated truth! Thats like walking up to an over weight person and shouting that they are fat and must do something about it right away or they will get diabetes because you know better.

Oh and another sweet fact on the CN, no bolts and screws. Just inerlocking peices! That just sounds cool me. I don't know it the FN also has this but tha just sounds so nifty.

I, personally,at no point condone what she is planning. But I will not jump on her for thinking about it. I have bred animals before for show, rabbits not chinchillas and I fully understand all the repercussions and hazards of breeding. Tact is not pure, unadulterated truth! Thats like walking up to an over weight person and shouting that they are fat and must do something about it right away or they will get diabetes because you know better.

Oh and another sweet fact on the CN, no bolts and screws. Just inerlocking peices! That just sounds cool me. I don't know it the FN also has this but tha just sounds so nifty.

And that's fine if you choose not to educate those that choose to breed chins (or any animal for that matter) of unknown backgrounds of the dangers or ramifications of doing so. If you don't know about many of the members here, as well as many if not all of the staff, we care about the overall welfare of the animals in question, not just the "Oh, aren't they cute? Let's breed them and have a whole bunch of 'em." We'd (or at least I'd) rather upset someone by educating them to the dangers of breeding such animals, than to have the breeder or someone who has gotten their hands on one of the offspring of the breeding come onto the forum later talking about how their chin is now exhibiting signs of malocclusion or who knows what because the breeder chose to breed chins with unknown backgrounds. Can you imagine the heartache? Food for thought.

I believe we have a misunderstanding. I in no way think we should not inform MzTay2010 about the possible out comes of breeding but her returning comments to the people telling her this make it seem as if she is shutting down and not listening to what they have to say. The way people are informing her is going the opposite direction of what they want. With comments like, " At this point what anyone else says doesn't matter.End of conversation. " and "So your little remarks are not going to make me change my mind." worry me very much. My biggest fear is that she will leave the forum because she feels mistreated and then because she will breed them and if there is a minor complication or worse a major one with only small signs she will not come here for advice.

I at no point thought any one here didn't care for the well being of this creature. I think there is a ton of great of advice to be gleaned from everyone here and I have the utmost respect for them. The information is great but will not be listened to if the recipient is offended by the way it was given. I will always defend some one when others are ganging up on them and ailienating them, they will learn nothing from this accept to become set in the "I'll prove them wrong." mentality.

I don't know how to conclude this one, I've written three already but none of them were helpful. Inform as you feel will be most effective.

I prefer the Ferret Nation quite honestly. The CN is not baby safe as was already pointed out. Ask a responsible breeder. The maximum spacing in order to be baby safe is 1/2 x 1 inch. God forbid they try to stick their little heads through that wire...

If she wants to breed chinchillas as pets for those in her community that is up to her. If she feels upto trying to breed she is allowed to do so and I don't see why people need to be angry with her.

Oh, so here you weren't condoning her breeding? By saying that it's up to her is not condoning it? Guess we have a different definition of condoning then..

Right off the bat the OP was like "I'm destined for success" did not seem like she was asking for any information or wanting to be helped. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've been around long enough to know that there are many people who will do what they want and not care what others say. So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. Sugar coating doesn't help when her chin is pregnant and is trying to give birth to a kit too large so it gets stuck in the birth canal killing the kit and putting the mom's health at risk.
Oh, and your comment
Not everything needs to be bred to "better the species".
So what show were you showing at? A cutest animal show? I'm sorry but if you were showing at a legitimate show, you of all people should know that it is about bettering the animal's quality. So would you condone taking two dogs from a shelter and breeding them? That is the same as taking two chins that you don't know their background and breeding them.

I think the critter nation is great but it just costs way to much more than the nation for the only minor changes that have been made. Just out of curiosity b/c I obviously don't know, can a baby turn it's head sideways and stick it through the bars and then get it's head stuck? I thought they couldn't get through a 1/2 inch space regardless of the length. Can someone explain the risks to me? Does anyone have any personal experience with this problem? I don't quite understand. I would appreciate it if someone could break it down for me. To the op you did an excellent job on that cage! If I had the money and didn't already have a fn I would be all over that cage. I may get one in the future b/c I really like how the bars are made horizontal instead of vertical. Ole Herc. would really enjoy climbing those!

Oh, so here you weren't condoning her breeding? By saying that it's up to her is not condoning it? Guess we have a different definition of condoning then..

Right off the bat the OP was like "I'm destined for success" did not seem like she was asking for any information or wanting to be helped. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've been around long enough to know that there are many people who will do what they want and not care what others say. So I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sugar coat things. Sugar coating doesn't help when her chin is pregnant and is trying to give birth to a kit too large so it gets stuck in the birth canal killing the kit and putting the mom's health at risk.
Oh, and your comment

So what show were you showing at? A cutest animal show? I'm sorry but if you were showing at a legitimate show, you of all people should know that it is about bettering the animal's quality. So would you condone taking two dogs from a shelter and breeding them? That is the same as taking two chins that you don't know their background and breeding them.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:To those on here who feel like there just such experts, I don't need anyone explaining what they think I should do or anything else for that matter.I work at a pet store and I did get my female chin from a breeder. I also have a friend that I work with at my job whose chins had babies.So just for the record, everyone can just close their mouths now.Your nonsense is truly going in one ear and out the other. You guys are really funny by the way.Ranting on and on about something that no one even asked your opinion about.Why didn't I ask you might say? Because truthfully it does not matter.So my male and female chins are cage mates, and if babies do come about I will be prepared.

I like the bar spacing just fine, so if my chins have any babies I dont have to worry about them escaping.

Did you not see the big IF?

I wouldn't be so rude. I'm sure if you breed, at some point you will come crawling asking for help as to why your female is bleeding and has a kit halfway out but can't get the rest out, and what you should do. If you do breed, at some point, there's a very high likely hood it will happen.

I find your lack of open-ness to advice quite sad. I truely feel sorry for your poor chinchillas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back