The new Critter Nation!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...I think I personally like the FN better =P I've been wanting a FN for a little over a year now and I'm getting one Sunday (WOO!) so I guess I'll see if I like it, and heck, if I don't I can always spring for a CN later. I've never been a big fan of horizontal things for some reason, call me OCD. You do have it blinged out though, it looks nice.

The OP was the one who brought up "having babies" in this thread - so it's not exactly off topic. If she didn't want it discussed, maybe she shouldn't have slipped that tidbit in the "pros" of this cage as she sees it. Of course, the members that disagree with the OP are going to rebut that....there is nothing wrong with the course the thread has taken at this point...other than the attitude in which some of the responses have been taken.

And if I did say what if they have babies...........yes its true I can say what I want to say:tease:

I prefer the Ferret Nation quite honestly. The CN is not baby safe as was already pointed out. Ask a responsible breeder. The maximum spacing in order to be baby safe is 1/2 x 1 inch. God forbid they try to stick their little heads through that wire...

Well if that the case, Ferret Nation definitely isnt baby safe.

They are not, and that thinking isn't going to sell them.

Like I said before where I am they are just fyi

Let me change my last post and say that I find your lack of open-ness AND immaturity quite sad......if you're going to play God and breed your chinchillas regardless, at least grow up. I am quite close to you, and no, chinchillas are NOT rare. I can point you in many directions fairly close that have breeders with 100's of chins..

Last edited:
Agreed. But, you know, if the mother dies in the birthing process because of complications or the babies suffer genetic, fatal and painful problems, "it happens". Remember?

Also, to who ever said they liked the FN because of the larger bar spacer, I agree! I love giving my babies scritches through the bars. :) And they loooovveeee sticking their noses through larger bars to steal sticks from my fingers.

Would you people just shut up seriously.If I have any questions I can always go to my vet.Instead of asking someone who believes their an expert.:topic:

Many people here ARE experts and I'll bet know tons more than your vet does. Many vets don't know crap about chinchillas.

By the way, self policing is against the rules. You can't tell people not to reply to your thread or to "shut up".

Many people here ARE experts and I'll bet know tons more than your vet does. Many vets don't know crap about chinchillas.

By the way, self policing is against the rules. You can't tell people not to reply to your thread or to "shut up".

I dont care about what they dont do just telling them what they should do,Well my university had an exotic animal hospital.Like I said I would prefer to get advice from them.

Well if that the case, Ferret Nation definitely isnt baby safe.
Who said it was? I am not selfishly breeding my beloved pets and risking their lives just to get cute babies just because I can. I really try hard not to be rude but I can not stop myself, you are a nut job.

Let me change my last post and say that I find your lack of open-ness AND immaturity quite sad......if you're going to play God and breed your chinchillas regardless, at least grow up. I am quite close to you, and no, chinchillas are NOT rare. I can point you in many directions fairly close that have breeders with 100's of chins..

Well isnt that too bad. guess what, I really dont care.

What's this prestigious university with an exotic animal hospital you speak of? I'd like to look at their credentials :)

I STILL bet that people here, who breed chinchillas correctly, and have actually EXPERIENCED the problems and scenarios, will know more and give better advice than these vets.

Edit: Yes, I know you don't care. Your immature pre-teen arguments "because I want to".."I don't care what you think" have established that. That's why I feel so sorry for your chinchillas.

You did a great job with that cage! I thought about the CN, but opted for the FN instead because of price, and the fact that I want to scritch my chinnies through the cage like others mentioned (oooh, and my FN comes tomorrow!)...I do like the bar spacing, however, from the standpoint that it gives you some more options for arranging shelves, hammocks, and the like. Enjoy the cage and your chins!

Are you happy with the covers you ordered online? I'm planning to make some, but I was wondering if you thought you got a good deal with the ones you ordered.

Who said it was? I am not selfishly breeding my beloved pets and risking their lives just to get cute babies just because I can. I really try hard not to be rude but I can not stop myself, you are a nut job.

If you truly dont know what your talking about please dont talk.Nut job.......I'm not the one going around wishing I was a chin expert.

:wacko: I am no chinchilla expert but I know for sure you are not either.

.......I'm not the one going around wishing I was a chin expert.

I'm sure your chinchillas wish you were.

This is just sad. I would love to breed someday, but I know that for my future chinchillas to be safe (I WILL NOT breed any I have now), that I must do alot of research into breeding BEFORE I start. If you say that research into health issues (like malo and the importance of breeding chins with a known background) is not important, than I feel really sorry for your chins. You are giving them the short end of the stick.

You did a great job with that cage! I thought about the CN, but opted for the FN instead because of price, and the fact that I want to scritch my chinnies through the cage like others mentioned (oooh, and my FN comes tomorrow!)...I do like the bar spacing, however, from the standpoint that it gives you some more options for arranging shelves, hammocks, and the like. Enjoy the cage and your chins!

Are you happy with the covers you ordered online? I'm planning to make some, but I was wondering if you thought you got a good deal with the ones you ordered.

Hi I love my chinnies, thanks!I am enjoying my cage and chins! Yes I do love the fleece covers that I ordered online, in face I plan to order another set.
Here is the link to the lady that sells them: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Critter-Creations__W0QQ_armrsZ1 They really are nice covers, I cant here any noise when my chins jump from level to level.I also use a litter pan, which has drastically reduced the price that I have to spend on litter.Good luck with your ferret nation.These cages really are a lot of fun.You can actually make them look like little condos for your chins.

Here's my two cents, and I'll probably get jumped for opening my mouth. But I'm NOT trying to be rude...
The OP, while I do feel she has the best interest of her chins at heart, didn't think it through that well...Even if the bar spacing is alright, the height definitely isn't that good. Chins can jump pretty high, bounce off the walls and land on babies. A member on here had a mom to jump off a ledge that wasn't even six inches off the ground, land on a baby, the baby went into shock and died. I'm not trying to scare you.
When my rescue was believed to be pregnant (wasn't, thankfully) I invested my money into some maternity cages. With shipping, it wasn't but $35 I think.
And while chins in your area might be rare, that also means that knowledgeable people in your area will be rare. Which means you're going to have a lot of rescues on your hands with "Oh I had no idea they lived that long, it's not worth the effort" or "You seriously can't put them in cedar bedding? What a rip" or "Guinea pig food isn't good for them? What am I supposed to feed them then?"
Part of breeding is to breed for the attributes the chinchilla is known for. Blocky build, thick and soft fur, etc. If you don't do that, you'll have a lot of pinched neck and lanky chins that in a few years will be mistaken for an overly large, overly fuzzy gerbil (No offense to gerbils). I think the point is chins should look like chins, and the only way to keep them looking like chins is to breed the best with the best.
Running the rescue for just those few months, I saw so much crap. Chins being kept in cages with no fleece liners, no shavings, males with females because people didn't care to check the gender, guinea pig food being fed, horrible diarrhea, calcium deficiency problems, being kept in a cramped cage on the back porch, and that was just from 3 chins. I thought I knew it all, but I ran back here for support every time I couldn't figure something out. These people are a life line, and most vets have no idea what they're talking about when it does come to chins, they relate them to rabbits and go from there.
I think the point I'm trying to make is don't burn bridges. At some point, be it in 3 months or 3 years, you'll need to cross those bridges again.
I do think this thread has gotten off topic, but I do also believe these people want the best for your chins and are willing to argue that. I know it's frustrating, I definitely do, but maybe if you relax and start another thread saying "I want to know about breeding. Here is what I know: and here is what I want to know: if any of my info is wrong, please correct me."
I do like your cage, I think it's nifty, but please please don't burn these bridges. These people in one way or another will some day be a life line.

Here's my two cents, and I'll probably get jumped for opening my mouth. But I'm NOT trying to be rude...
The OP, while I do feel she has the best interest of her chins at heart, didn't think it through that well...Even if the bar spacing is alright, the height definitely isn't that good. Chins can jump pretty high, bounce off the walls and land on babies. A member on here had a mom to jump off a ledge that wasn't even six inches off the ground, land on a baby, the baby went into shock and died. I'm not trying to scare you.
When my rescue was believed to be pregnant (wasn't, thankfully) I invested my money into some maternity cages. With shipping, it wasn't but $35 I think.
And while chins in your area might be rare, that also means that knowledgeable people in your area will be rare. Which means you're going to have a lot of rescues on your hands with "Oh I had no idea they lived that long, it's not worth the effort" or "You seriously can't put them in cedar bedding? What a rip" or "Guinea pig food isn't good for them? What am I supposed to feed them then?"
Part of breeding is to breed for the attributes the chinchilla is known for. Blocky build, thick and soft fur, etc. If you don't do that, you'll have a lot of pinched neck and lanky chins that in a few years will be mistaken for an overly large, overly fuzzy gerbil (No offense to gerbils). I think the point is chins should look like chins, and the only way to keep them looking like chins is to breed the best with the best.
Running the rescue for just those few months, I saw so much crap. Chins being kept in cages with no fleece liners, no shavings, males with females because people didn't care to check the gender, guinea pig food being fed, horrible diarrhea, calcium deficiency problems, being kept in a cramped cage on the back porch, and that was just from 3 chins. I thought I knew it all, but I ran back here for support every time I couldn't figure something out. These people are a life line, and most vets have no idea what they're talking about when it does come to chins, they relate them to rabbits and go from there.
I think the point I'm trying to make is don't burn bridges. At some point, be it in 3 months or 3 years, you'll need to cross those bridges again.
I do think this thread has gotten off topic, but I do also believe these people want the best for your chins and are willing to argue that. I know it's frustrating, I definitely do, but maybe if you relax and start another thread saying "I want to know about breeding. Here is what I know: and here is what I want to know: if any of my info is wrong, please correct me."
I do like your cage, I think it's nifty, but please please don't burn these bridges. These people in one way or another will some day be a life line.

Thanks Diva Chins but they seem like their too demanding.What they dont realize is that Im not waking up everyday wishing that my chins have babies. They are male and female and they get along really well.Their always cuddling and grooming each other and all that other stuff.I got my male chin first and the reason I got a female after him from a breeder was because I dont think that he would have accepted another male chin into his cage so gracefully.

Hmm...I think I personally like the FN better =P I've been wanting a FN for a little over a year now and I'm getting one Sunday (WOO!) so I guess I'll see if I like it, and heck, if I don't I can always spring for a CN later. I've never been a big fan of horizontal things for some reason, call me OCD. You do have it blinged out though, it looks nice.

Thanks diva chins, I spent like over $500 buying the cage and other furnishings to go in it.

I think the critter nation is great but it just costs way to much more than the nation for the only minor changes that have been made. Just out of curiosity b/c I obviously don't know, can a baby turn it's head sideways and stick it through the bars and then get it's head stuck? I thought they couldn't get through a 1/2 inch space regardless of the length. Can someone explain the risks to me? Does anyone have any personal experience with this problem? I don't quite understand. I would appreciate it if someone could break it down for me. To the op you did an excellent job on that cage! If I had the money and didn't already have a fn I would be all over that cage. I may get one in the future b/c I really like how the bars are made horizontal instead of vertical. Ole Herc. would really enjoy climbing those!

If you saw how tiny the bar spacing were in the cage you would also probably agree that a baby couldn't get his head through it.But others may have other opinions.Thanks Eric I really spent a lot on the cage and setting it up.

I do wish I had a chin spin to go in my rescue female's cage. She's got very limited muscle development (And she's an old stinker =P) but thankfully, I found a girl who lives on the way to the FN cage that has a chinchilla wheel she's going to give me for free to help bless her heart.

Thanks Diva Chins but they seem like their too demanding.What they dont realize is that Im not waking up everyday wishing that my chins have babies. They are male and female and they get along really well.Their always cuddling and grooming each other and all that other stuff.I got my male chin first and the reason I got a female after him from a breeder was because I dont think that he would have accepted another male chin into his cage so gracefully.

Diva Chins is right. Everyone here really is trying to help you, even if they are a little harsh. They know, from experience that bad things can happen while breeding, even to the best breeders. Just go read the breading threads. The point is that even though you are not wishing for your chins to have kits, YOU put them in the situation. Some chins will be together and never breed, others will breed in 30seconds. If you don't know the background of your chins, that could give you some major problems. If your female chin's pelvis is not big enough, she could end up trying to squeeze a kit out that is just too big, and they both could die. I know it is alot of IF COULD MAYBE. But since I am sure that you love your chins very much, and I am sure it would be devistating to you if this happened, we are just trying to warn you. I personally, would not want to put my babies in a situation that could harm them. Let alone the issue of any kits you bring into the world.

ps. I did forget to say what I was origionally going to say, when I opened this thread. THat your cage does look very nice.

I believe we have a misunderstanding. I in no way think we should not inform MzTay2010 about the possible out comes of breeding but her returning comments to the people telling her this make it seem as if she is shutting down and not listening to what they have to say. The way people are informing her is going the opposite direction of what they want. With comments like, " At this point what anyone else says doesn't matter.End of conversation. " and "So your little remarks are not going to make me change my mind." worry me very much. My biggest fear is that she will leave the forum because she feels mistreated and then because she will breed them and if there is a minor complication or worse a major one with only small signs she will not come here for advice.

I at no point thought any one here didn't care for the well being of this creature. I think there is a ton of great of advice to be gleaned from everyone here and I have the utmost respect for them. The information is great but will not be listened to if the recipient is offended by the way it was given. I will always defend some one when others are ganging up on them and ailienating them, they will learn nothing from this accept to become set in the "I'll prove them wrong." mentality.

I don't know how to conclude this one, I've written three already but none of them were helpful. Inform as you feel will be most effective.

You speak the truth Evening chin.I dont have a problem taking advice from someone respectful like you or Divachins.But members like alli 713 who I bought some of my furnishings from or Stackie who are demanding what I should do, I would not take advice from.They say im rude but when you demand that someone do something its rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back