Shoes that are made for walking?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Oh well that's just what I'll be doing!

The hospital I just got hired on with is very, very large ( and maze like actually ) and walking will soon be my specialty!

Soooo anyone have shoe suggestions!? I like a lot of arch support and good air circulation, so tell me what you suggest so I have ideas on what to try on when I got shopping next week!

I know a lot of people like Skechers for that sort of work, though I'm not exactly sure what kind is mostly recommended. I have some kind of Skechers (I don't remember the name, sorry) that are awesome when I work my 10 hour shifts.

The sketchers I had always seemed to fall apart too quickly for my liking. Especially since they're about as expensive as the really big name shoe brands.

My favorites are Nikes. They've always lasted forever for me, and they're nice and breatheable.

A lot of people I work with have New Balance, and they seem to like those as well.

My favorite are the Nike Shox... my feet never get sore even when I work 16+ hour days! They are also really breathable and have lots of arch support.

I really like SkidBusters... quite comfortable, light, breathable, and amazingly skid resistant (which is important to me).

I know a lot of my friends who are RN's and LPN's wear those...dance-go shoes? I have no idea the spelling but thats how i pronounce them lol

Merrells are a great shoe. They are made for hiking, however the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff around here love them. I love my merrells and when I was working in a grocery store standing 8+ hours straight on concrete they were the only thing that kept my feet from killing me... Now that I'm at a "desk job" I still wear them...

BUT they do not come in plain white, so if you can wear color they'd be great. A bit pricey but well worth it..and best of all you can get water proof ones which is great for the times you'll step in a bed pan.....have a pt bleed on you...or urinate on you....

http://www.merrell.com/US/en?002=24...h&008=&s_kwcid=TC|6977|merrel||S|b|6611590445

Last edited:
I second Merrell. :thumbsup:

I had a bad fall at work and have had back and feet trouble ever since. I have a doctor's note to wear the Merrells because they have good support and padding. My favorite style is Encore and it comes in many incarnations. Encore Breeze comes in a black or white "Pro" model as well as many colors:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Search/Search.mvc.aspx?SearchText=Encore+Breeze&search=Search

For winter, I love Encore Chill or Ice:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Search/Search.mvc.aspx?SearchText=encore+chill&search=Search

I wear them pretty much ALL of the time, both for work and casual. I had them on at the show, if you noticed.

I'm a former Respiratory Therapist and I usually wore Reebok or Nike walking shoes but I did have a very satisfying love affair with a pair of Nursemates clogs- with the back strap. We weren't allowed to wear them unless they had a strap. It was like walking on a marshmallow :)

i like my airwalk sneakers. i know, not technically a walking or running shoe, but they are so comfy! sometimes i'll buy size 6's in the boys side because they fit nicer. i've walked 60 blocks in those and felt just dandy after.

One more vote for Merrell shoes- they are awesome, comfy, with lots of support.
I also like Joseph Seibel shoes (but some are hit and miss) they have nice shoes with small heels, so I like them alot.
Finally, Mephisto shoes are great, but pricey. If you can afford them, probably the best out there.

Merells are awesome, but I hate them personally. They run narrow.

New Balance - LOVE them. They are still made in the USA - in Maine actually! Awesome company to support. Before buying check out their site. They have a pile of different widths, not only that but they separate them into different areas of width. So if you have a narrow heel and a wide toe they have a shoe for you, or maybe you have a fat heel and a narrow toe, they also have a shoe for you. They have sneakers with and with out arch support, they run super narrow in some and super wide in others.

Dansko's are also unbelievably good for what you need, however they also run narrow.

Therefore I stick with my New Balance's. I am a size 7 DD width in womans.

Good to know, I'm a bit wider than most in the foot...

I'm having troubles finding places that carry many of the recommended brands, and while I don't mind spending good money on shoes, I want to make sure that they'll fit well before I spend $100+ on a pair, and it's hard to try on shoes online! LOL

Good to know, I'm a bit wider than most in the foot...

I'm having troubles finding places that carry many of the recommended brands, and while I don't mind spending good money on shoes, I want to make sure that they'll fit well before I spend $100+ on a pair, and it's hard to try on shoes online! LOL

I have a great pair of Merrells (Encore Eclipse) that I bought from a local "high-end" sporting/outdoors store. They were also available at Dillard's and a couple of another sporting goods (Dicks, Gander Mountain, Sports Authority, etc) and department stores. You can do a store locator on Merrell's site and I'm pretty sure most other of the brands listed to find a store near you that sells them so you can try them on before purchase.

I replaced the insole in the pair that I purchased with a Spenco Polysorb Total Support insole. I have a pretty high arch and the insole that came in the shoe wasn't quite enough for me. This insole is absolutely perfect! I can now stand on my feet and walk all day long (10+ hrs/day) without having any issues with my heels or the balls of my feet hurting.

if your feet are a bit wider then going with a boys or mens shoe may be the answer. when i worked in a shoe store back in my teens i learned a very valuable trick - a mens shoe 2 sizes smaller than your usual sized woman's shoe will fit! and they are a bit wider. this is why i get my airwalks on the boys side of the store sometimes.

Another tip when buying shoes, they are normally cheaper when you buy in kids. For my sneakers I go to Kid's Foot Locker and buy in boys all the time.

Nike seems to be the best for my feet. We have a Nike Outlet here so I go there and get my shoes CHEAP and they are even cheaper in kids there too!

Latest posts

Back