Pit Bulls?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter found a pitbull/sharpei/lab? mix almost 2 years ago. He was full of deep scars around his neck,and sides, teeth filed down etc. We tried to find his owners, but didn't have the heart to take him to the pound, as we knew he'd more than likely be put down. Kona is the sweetest love bug ever! There are some things we do have to watch for. He absolutely hates cats, and is a very protective dog outside of the gate, so if he's on a walk he's on a harness, and is not walked around where other dogs are. At home he spoons in bed with anyone he can (often my husband) He's bossed around my 2 doxies. They eat THEN he eats! Often they are dog piled on him at night in deep sleep.

I can't get over it somebody finds Roy hideous ... it really bugs me :(

Aw, sorry about Roy. That's pretty offensive what the lady said, actually.

I worked at a cageless doggy daycare as a dog handler & overnight caregiver. The Pits we had come in were some of the best-behaved, sweetest dogs. That's, of course, because people were taking the time and effort to properly socialize them, as every dog should be. Honestly some of the smaller breeds were the most unpredictable. I even worked with a Cane Corso, which for all the breed's scary reputation, was a lovebug.

The worst-behaved dogs were a group of crazy Weimaraners, and the only time I was bitten (nipped), was by a Lab-mix. Go figure.

I think the bottom line is that the way a dog is raised makes a huge difference, regardless of breed traits.

Arf, it could be the pittie was aggressive from being chained up. I hate seeing dogs live on the end of chains. If they are on one for a brief period during the day that is one thing but 24/7 really irks me. His frustration level could of been through the roof.

Sorry about your dog :(

I just returned from walking my (English bull) and crossed a mother and her child. The kid wanted to pet Roy but got dragged back immediatly. I said it was ok to pet him. This is what she said (translated of course)

"Bulldogs are the most hideous and false looking things i've ever seen and you shouldn't be even owning one ... they're a threat to society."

I looked at Roy ... he was just sitting there being Roy. Anyway I left thinking "what the fifi?"
and a sad bully (he loves other people)

How can you judge a dog or any other animal by how it looks?
I know more people are bitten by chihuahas, poodles etc ... (small dogs) then bulldogs, pitbulls, shepherds ...

I can't get over it somebody finds Roy hideous ... it really bugs me :(

Well from your pictures I think Roy is the cutest darn thing I have ever seen. That woman is hideous, not your Roy.

I volunteer at the humane society and I haven't yet to have come across better dog than a pit, the only dog I have been bit by was a dachshund. (Fear biter) And I have yet to find a better lap dog than a pit. :laughitup:

Arf, it could be the pittie was aggressive from being chained up. I hate seeing dogs live on the end of chains. If they are on one for a brief period during the day that is one thing but 24/7 really irks me.

This! Yard dogs ime are the most frightened, neurotic, territorial, and often neglected animals still called 'pets'. :( They were bred and developed to be side by side companions to humans. Isolating them from humans, other dogs, other kinds of animals, vehicles, and everything other than a tree and some dirt behind a fence can NOT be anything but damaging to their psychology. Any dog treated worse than we treat our convicted murderers is set up for failure, I don't care what breed it is.

I just wish we could make it illegal to keep a dog on a tie out for more than 12 hr./day instead of telling people where they can and can't live with pit bulls.

I love love love the pit bull/Amstaffs . . .

here is my Tucker blk that is 12 yrs old now
Kizzy is the brindle that we got as a rescue but had to have her put down because of aggression issues we couldn't resolve towards the neighbors yappy dog

Attachments

• Tuck Kiz Kelsey Kirby.jpg
    Tuck Kiz Kelsey Kirby.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 119
Kizzy is the brindle that we got as a rescue but had to have her put down because of aggression issues we couldn't resolve towards the neighbors yappy dog

I'm sorry, WHY would you have a dog put down for being dog aggressive? Dogs ARE dog aggressive by INSTINCT, especially TERRIERS (Which a pit bull is). I would never put a dog down for being a -dog-. Please don't own the breed if you aren't willing to "deal" with what comes with this breed--dog aggression! Generations upon generations have been bred to fight other dogs-- it goes without saying that a pit bull will be dog aggressive in most cases.

Gavin does not like strange dogs. I knew this was a risk when I got into the breed- I'd never put him down for being a dog, and being true to his breed. Now a HUMAN aggressive dog (pit bull or otherwise that it isn't in the breed standard for) would be put down in a heart beat. HUMAN aggression is NOT a characteristic of the breed. Dog aggression IS, and I can't see putting a dog to sleep for being what it's supposed to be. It would be like me putting my greyhound down for running too fast/killing rabbits. A herding dog for herding animals, etc.

Last edited:
I've only known one other person to put their pit down for "dog aggression" but that was because it was so extreme that the dog would attempt to tear down the door if it so much as smelled another dog two blocks away and he got aggressive towards anything when that happened, and also started getting aggressive if he smelled another dog on a person.

My mom has two pits. One(Sasha) is aggressive towards new dogs, like Megan's Gavin, but is fine with my Lady and the other pit, Sabbath, who is a total sweetheart who wants to be friends with everybody, rolls to her back, wagging her tail when she meets a new dog, etc.

I've seen nasty pits, but I've seen far more nasty non-bully breeds, especially in the "toy" sector. I wouldn't hold it against a dog for doing something they were, unfortunately, bred to do. But if we're going to ban dogs for aggression, just every dog then. EVERY breed of dog can be aggressive, it all depends in how they were raised.

To add what Megan said.....I have seen downright dangerous, dog aggressive dogs. Dogs that live to kill other dogs. Anything and everything. This type I would put down. But if a dog is living in a family of dogs and is doing well but does not like strange dogs that is a different thing. It is a matter of containing and controlling your dog. My mixed breed Gracie is a brat to strange dogs so I have to watch her closely.

The lab/border collie I live with is male dog aggressive, and his rescue wanted to put him down (almost a decade ago) for that and many other reasons. He has come so far from the terrified of everything pup that wedged himself behind a refrigerator to hide from strangers that I marvel every day. That lingering territoriality is manageable; we just have to be careful.

I hope that the decision to euthanize was made because all other efforts were exhausted first. If the poor dogs so horribly mistreated by Michael Vick can become therapy pit bulls with a lot of effort and training, I have faith that the results can be duplicated with any dog in the right situation.

There was a dog at the shelter and he is territorial and mean and protective, and he is there because he attacked a man, but what happened was that a man was beating his wife and the uncle pulled the man off and he attacked the uncle, the uncle wasn't out of line, yet neither was the dog, I'm trying to decide what I think of him, but he has been at the shelter for months now and has gone totally kennel crazy.

My opinion is... pit bulls are extremely intelligent animals, and they take quickly to patterns of behavior. They will behave how they believe they are expected to behave, based on example and the behaviors they receive reinforcement for, and they will excel at it. I think dogs can be rehabilitated to a certain extent, there's a fine line though. Some just have certain things that set them off, and some have been mistreated to the point that they will never develop the level of trust they need to no longer be aggressive towards others.

This is a breed I will defend until the day I die but your comment "Please don't own the breed if you aren't willing to "deal" with what comes with this breed" I take great offense to.
Kizzy came to us with a lot of issues, we spent 2 years working with trainers. So we did "deal" with it and it finally came down to we had to do what was best for Kizzy and our household.

This statement you wrote is ludicrious
"I can't see putting a dog to sleep for being what it's supposed to be. It would be like me putting my greyhound down for running too fast/killing rabbits. A herding dog for herding animals, etc"

we are talking totally different traits and their end results.
You are entitled to your opinion and what YOU would do but until you walk in my shoes please do not judge me for the choice I make.

I'm sorry, WHY would you have a dog put down for being dog aggressive? Dogs ARE dog aggressive by INSTINCT, especially TERRIERS (Which a pit bull is). I would never put a dog down for being a -dog-. Please don't own the breed if you aren't willing to "deal" with what comes with this breed--dog aggression! Generations upon generations have been bred to fight other dogs-- it goes without saying that a pit bull will be dog aggressive in most cases.

Gavin does not like strange dogs. I knew this was a risk when I got into the breed- I'd never put him down for being a dog, and being true to his breed. Now a HUMAN aggressive dog (pit bull or otherwise that it isn't in the breed standard for) would be put down in a heart beat. HUMAN aggression is NOT a characteristic of the breed. Dog aggression IS, and I can't see putting a dog to sleep for being what it's supposed to be. It would be like me putting my greyhound down for running too fast/killing rabbits. A herding dog for herding animals, etc.

Now that I own a "bully" I have learned,..and still have alot more to learn about the "bull breeds". I will say honestly that I was taken in when I was younger by alot of the bad press that Pitbulls have recieved. I live in a city where Pitbulls are banned. Now that I have done some research I realize that they can be really fantastic dogs, and the press is idiotic on the subject. I try my best to point out the good I know of them if the opportunity comes up. I try to keep learning about them because some people are just DUMB and think ANY Bulldog is a Pitbull. My dog is half Olde English half American bulldog and I have been asked more than once if she is a Pitbull :wacko: Stupid people worry me considering Pits are banned here.
I still think that they are not a "beginner" dog for people though...

These stats are pretty interesting :

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fda_canada_l.pdf

Now that I own a "bully" I have learned,..and still have alot more to learn about the "bull breeds". I will say honestly that I was taken in when I was younger by alot of the bad press that Pitbulls have recieved. I live in a city where Pitbulls are banned. Now that I have done some research I realize that they can be really fantastic dogs, and the press is idiotic on the subject. I try my best to point out the good I know of them if the opportunity comes up. I try to keep learning about them because some people are just DUMB and think ANY Bulldog is a Pitbull. My dog is half Olde English half American bulldog and I have been asked more than once if she is a Pitbull :wacko: Stupid people worry me considering Pits are banned here.
I still think that they are not a "beginner" dog for people though...

These stats are pretty interesting :

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fda_canada_l.pdf

Just off topic sorry :D

Can we see a picture please? I'd love to see your dog!

I love showing off my girly,..so no problem,..haha...

she is 7 months old now,... Here is my Chobb

100_3235.jpg

100_3024.jpg

100_3297.jpg

100_3194.jpg

I love any breed of dog, pitties too. We have family members who own toy breeds and I don't trust them around my kids at all. That's because of how hey are raised though, they are held and cuddled while displaying aggressiveness, no wonder they're snappy! My oldest daughter dreams of owning a rottie, my younger daughter dreams of owning a great dane, and my son dreams of owning a gsd. I would love another english springer spaniel baby. Gee, I think we need a bigger house, yard........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back