"Not sold with pedigree"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycamore Chins

How many of you guys, if you're willing to say, sell pet quality animals without a pedigree (so that, hopefully, they won't be bred).

I've always given out pedigrees, I pass them out like wildfire, just cause I think it's nice for them to have something tangible about their chins. It also sets my practices apart from pet stores, and gives the chins more of an 'identity'.

Lately I have been considering selling a few without pedigrees, runts of the litter or just really got the short end of the gene stick.

For those that do sell pet-quality without pedigrees, do you give them a business card? Or a simplified pedigree with just the DOB?

What is everyone's thoughts on this (breeders and buyers)?

I generally offer the same pedigree to everyone. If it's a pet person I print a big one, if it's a breeder I make a cage card like I'd use here sometimes instead.

The way I see it is that if a person is going to breed, they're going to do it whether it has a pedigree or not. Also it's a word of buyer beware, I can make up any kind of pedigree I want, so could you, I could make up a pedigree to give to a kit with bad genes...

Usually true pet people don't really care if it has a ped or not is what I've learned, if the pedigree is a must, steer them towards a breeding quality animal. I used to worry that people might get my chins and bred them badly which looks bad on me because my name is on that pedigree, and to an extent I still do, but what I've realized is that usually those people don't last long anyway.

I have started doing this. There are some chins I simply don't want bred, so to help dieter that they go at a reduced price without a pedigree, or a very limited pedigree (Parents numbers, nothing more so I can track who they came out of).

I've also been toying with(and have given it a try this last time) selling to pet homes at a reduced price, without the pedigree as pet owners have no way of making back the money they've spent on purchasing a chin. IMO they have the right to the same quality as a breeder, but they can't make the money back by breeding..so I'll reduce the price by say $50 for a pet only home without the pedigree attached. Full price for a show/breeding home or pet home with pedigrees.

Last edited:
As a pet buyer, I like having the pedigrees. I like that all of my bought pets are pedigreed, they're bred to a higher standard, in my opinion. If there's ever a genetic problem, I can call the breeder and ask about rabbit/chin xyz123's health history and explain I have a kit from them, in case they don't remember me in a few years.

My pet chins go with their parents names (no ranch brands or numbers) and their birth date. Nothing else on the pedigree is given. I'm sure they could always look up the parents on my site and track down more information, but most won't really care to do so.

I usually don't give a pedigree with a pet chin, although I give a birth date and parents' names with the sales contract. I do give them to buyers I trust without question (which is pretty much limited to Becky - 3CsMommy on here), and am willing to give them down the line if an animal is sold as a kit and the buyer eventually decides to get into breeding and has done their research and shown the animal (I haven't had this happen to date).

But I also realize that people are going to do what they want, when it comes to breeding. We just need to do what we can to deter them.

As a pet owner, I don't really care about pedigrees. All the peds I've gotten, I lost anyway. As long as I know birth dates, I'm happy. Most of them, I know their parents as well. *Most* of the people that my chins have came from, I talk to on a regular basis, and they care about each of their individual chins so I'm sure they'd remember who I have, who their parents are, etc. should I have any questions/concerns. (It kinda helps that half of my chins are from the notorious chin fairy :p )

I'm a pet owner and I only have Raven's pedigree. I was very glad to receive it, although I didn't expect to get one. Will I ever breed her? No way. But I also have an AKC registered dog, and I have his pedigree (something like 9 generations back). Same thing with him. He's neutered and will never be shown, but I like being able to look up his lineage and if anything does pop up, I can always research the dogs he came from. For me its like researching my own genealogy; its not going to make a bit of difference but its fun to know.

On the other hand, I can totally understand breeders trying to deter buyers from breeding a pet quality chin, although I doubt that papers will dissuade most from doing it if they are already set on it.

I used to give pedigrees out like wildfire as well, because I felt that that's what I would want if I were buying a pet. I like knowing birthdates, and I like knowing the chin was bred responsibly - not necessarily that it is a quality chin but that its breeding was tracked.

I stopped giving them out unasked for a few reasons. Most people don't care. Of the people who might care, most of them don't know how to read a chinchilla pedigree. And also, like others, I don't want people later deciding to get a "male buddy" for one of my females, or vice versa, then selling the kits saying they came from pedigreed lines...

Now, I only make printed copies of pedigrees if requested. I haven't had a pet owner request one yet. However, all my pedigrees are still available online (although they are very rarely viewed - I know because it shows up in my statcounter).

Pet only chins I will not give out a pedigree for, and will even remove the one I have online as well as all other identifying information if there is any. All they get is a birthdate if known.

I give out pedigrees (large - on 8 x 12 paper) to pet people with large printing '** not for breeding **. I find most people love to know the colors/names in their chin's pedigree. I know stating that isn't going to stop if they want to breed. If they are determined to breed nothing is going to stop them. I also carefully screen and often get a feel if people are the type to breed. I don't sell pets to them if I realized before hand. I also tell people if they ever want to get a pal for their chin it should be same sex because breeding is a real hassle - that breeding chins is 'tough' - that if you don't do it right a female/male could kill it's mate. Scare tactics often works

I have 3 pedigrees here... Of the 3, 2 of the chins are in breeding. The third was bought for breeding, but didn't pan out as nicely as I would have liked her to. The same breeder offered to send me the pedigree of a pet girl I'd purchased from her, and I said she didn't have to... I have no plans to breed that girl, so she doesn't need a pedigree.

Honestly, unless the chin is going to a home where it's going to be bred, I don't think it needs a pedigree. A paper with the kit's name and birthdate, and parents' names, and the breeder's information, is more than enough if a person were to have a problem later down the road and honestly want to get a hold of the breeder.

If I have a pedigree (like for chins that aren't rescues), I give it to the new home. The only way they won't get one is if they get a rescue that I got in (which typically wouldn't have a pedigree).

Regarding not giving out pedigrees so that people won't breed those chins - I hardly think it matters. The people who care about pedigrees - the actual good breeders - would be able to look at a runt and say "ok, it's not quality, pedigree or not." I think pedigree or not, a lot of byb's will breed the chin, so I don't think withholding the pedigree will stop them if they really want to breed.

I don't give them out unless they are going to a breeder home or the owner asks. Haven't had any pet owners ask though except maybe one.

I give out a birth date, and herd ID for the animal I'm selling for the most part. Often just the first names of both parents, so if there is a flood or fire and I lost all my important paper work I'd know who the heck they were talking about! Now if it's an older animal and I no longer have anything from that line, etc then no pedigree is given if it goes to a pet home. Like Riven said, if they want to breed, then they will. I have rehomed a couple animals that were to be retired out, no pedigree was given, but found out from another pet person that not only were they bred but the offspring were up for "sale".

Regarding not giving out pedigrees so that people won't breed those chins - I hardly think it matters. The people who care about pedigrees - the actual good breeders - would be able to look at a runt and say "ok, it's not quality, pedigree or not." I think pedigree or not, a lot of byb's will breed the chin, so I don't think withholding the pedigree will stop them if they really want to breed.

It's not so much to stop them from breeding - as much as I like to think otherwise, I know that once a chin leaves here I have very little control over what happens to it. I am well aware that if someone is determined to breed, they are going to do it with or without a pedigree. Withholding pedigrees is to stop them from pulling the wool over someone else's eyes, marketing the kits they produce as pedigreed (and therefore "quality") to unknowing pet owners, and having that "proof" of it...

Again, I realize it's not much of an obstacle. A dishonest byb will just make up a pedigree if they do want to claim them as pedigreed, but since (in my experience) most pet owners don't seem to care if their chin is pedigreed or not, there isn't a need for bybs to even make one up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, for the input.

I know it won't prevent anyone from breeding, just hopefully instill more of a 'pet' vibe.

I think I will draw up a 8.5 x 11 paper with our name, phone number, the animals number, DOB and their parents names - for those that ask for one.

I also keep track of everyone who buys animals from me and their contact info right on my herd list in excel. That way if I really want to I can check up on them.

I give out pedigrees with most everyone. I figure people if they are going to breed will breed without it any way

I only give out pedigrees to breeders. When I am selling to pet people or am selling a kit, I just tell them the DOB but I don't give them the peds. I always list the parents in my ads too so if they really wanted, they could look up who the parents are on my website and what awards they took, what lines they're from, etc.

I used to give everyone a long pedigree that was detailed and had a whole lot of information that probably wasn't even necessary for even breeders. No one ever bothered to say thank you for it or even acknowledge it, so I deemed it unnecessary. For pet people I just give them the basic birth info and the name of the parents. Taking out so much time to draw up a document and pictures was a lot of work especially because no one appreciated it at all. In fact, I used to give out a CD ROM with the full pedigree in html format and with pictures of their parents and grandparents and everything else that went along with that chin. No one ever even bothered to say anything about it at all, much less a thank you. I'm not going to do a bunch of extra work for something that probably will just be pitched in the garbage anyway.

Breeders need the pedigree info, but normally I can give that to them in an email or just a quick ped that is signed. Pet people don't really need it at all. And, backyard breeders don't care because they just want a male or a female of a certain color. But, I don't sell to those people and they like to threaten me with telling others how difficult I am...YAY! :)

Back