What's your day job?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a cashier/book keeper/customer service representative at a local grocery store during high school/ college. Tomorrow is my last day! Whoo-Hoo!

I am now working part time for a doctors office as a Medical Assistant Tech, and will be going full time on Monday.

I am considering taking classes again for business management, and equine to open up a training and boarding facility for horses.

Wow guys, thanks for answering! Such a wide variety of answers. All I know is at the end of the day it is pretty satisfying to go home to my kitties and chinnies, that is some much needed stress relief!

I'm a buyer for an online cookware retailer. It can be a dream job at times. I write big checks that somebody else has to cover. :)

I am a grad student working on my PhD in neuropharmacology. I study addiction. It is stressful but rewarding when things work. I also do side work fixing arcade games at a couple of arcades near me.

Oooo, Cindy might have my dream job if she gets to take home free cooking gadgets!

I have my bachelors in Psych but now I'm just a full-time mommy to two-legged and four-legged children. We make sacrifices so I can stay home but it's worth it!

As of August 23rd I will be a full-time veterinary student! Livin the dream!

During my school breaks I work at an animal hospital doing whatever my boss wants for the next 4 years in the hopes I get a cushy job afterwards!

I have a BBA in Accounting and I need a new job. lol

I think I can safely say my profession is "getting yelled at." I do HR, Payroll, and Collections at a smallish company. The employees yell at me for things I'm not responsible for, the customers yell at me when I call them about bills, my boss yells at me for all kinds of stuff, and then the owner yells at me when the customers don't pay enough or if I'm not on the phone when he walks in the office.

Before that, I worked at kennels and pet stores for many years. I enjoyed working with the dogs and would like to learn dog training, but I need to pay off my debt I graduated with first.

Oooo, Cindy might have my dream job if she gets to take home free cooking gadgets!

I have my bachelors in Psych but now I'm just a full-time mommy to two-legged and four-legged children. We make sacrifices so I can stay home but it's worth it!

Lol! Kate I do. Have your dream job. My kitchen has a ton of fun things in it. "where should I send your sample too?" Is my favorite question. :neener:

I'm a stay at home mom. I have 2 boys that keep me very busy and very happy. I was a dental assistant before I became a mommy. I would love to work in a zoo, although with all the animals I have, I kind of do work and live in a zoo!

I'm a stay-at-home wife and mother. I do many things well... none of which generate income... :biglaugh:

Firstly, I found this thread soooo interesting!!

Myself-- For many years I ran summer camp programs and other recreation classes and programs... then I finished my degree in teaching and taught a variety of grades in elementary and middle school. (3rd grade was by far my favorite-- :) BECKY!!) I was recently laid off in my district, darn economy, and then started working for a private tutoring agency helping kids in Detroit who need extra help in reading, writing and math.

Now I'm a professional nanny for 2 wonderful kids and very happy!

Ditto what Laurie said - I could live and die happy as a librarian. If I didn't have to go back to school for 5 years to get the job now, I'd so be working there.

I am not NEARLY as old as Becky (who knew that was coming, obviously, and who I constantly tell she's insane for being too busy) but I've held the same job for the last 27 years. I'm a medical transcriptionist. Since I got pregnant with my boys (who are now 15) I have been working full-time from home.

I also consider running CnH a part-time job, except during the summer when the kids decide to spam the forum out of boredom -- then it's a full-time job!

Oh, and my zoo. That's at least a part-time job I think. I guess that makes me double full-time?

Very interesting thread. It's fun to know the career paths people have chosen.

WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS THREAD BEFORE?!?!?!

this is so amazing to see what everyone does. we're all so diverse and busy.

and umm ALLI....send me a link to your etsy sites! when im not on cnh im addicted to online window-shopping!

as for me, for the past 2 years, ive worked at the circulation desk at my school's library. i switched to the serials department in the back where i check in the new journals/magazines. i also help the acquisitions library put call numbers/stamps/etc on the books before going out. i have more appreciation for libraries after this because i never realized that every single book is handled multiple times before going out to stacks. after having to repair covers, i will make sure i take care of those babies!

but i leave this job in a week. then i'll be at the George Bush School of Government and Public Service (Texas A&M) working as a program aid. i'll basically be helping the academic advisor with our online students. im excited!

but prior to May, i was a full time college student. got my B.S. and hope to go to grad school at the Bush School for public service. thats right...im gonna be a senator! or president! and gizmo will be the "First Chin". lol

im also a full time employee of "Long Winded Responses", if you couldnt tell :)

I'm a civil engineer for the state dot, worked in the bridge ratings and overload unit, metals control unit and currently working in the geotechnical unit (there was a rotation program going on, but it's since died)
It *almost* pays the bills. I like to tell people I get paid in days off, because really, I do :p Especially since furloughs came along.

As a kid I always wanted to be a vet, but laziness pursued and I did the easiest thing for me - engineering school. My new favorite quote is "not making a decision IS making a decision" I fell into the career path I'm in now, thus have no passion for it..

I am trying to figure out how I can afford vet school... If I figure that one out, I'll go!

I started volunteering at a local animal shelter last September and LOVE it. I do dog walking which involves cleaning up after them, feeding them, administering medicines, giving fresh water, walking them, checking for ticks, light grooming, etc.. I've recently been promoted to kennel manager :D Which goes to prove that having a passion for something shows and you're totally awesome at it when you do!!

Last edited:
I'm a pharmacy technician for CVS pharmacy. There's days I hate my job, but for the most part I love it. I also work part time at a local baseball stadium selling beer. So, I deal drugs and serve alcohol...Sometimes to the same people! (The baseball stadium is 2 blocks away from my CVS)

I work at a hospital in the dietary department (kitchen). We have room service where patients call and order their food off a menu. My main job is answering the phone 100+ times a day helping patients pick the right foods per their dietary restrictions. I also have to pester the nurses that don't do what they're supposed to do, get yelled at by patients and their family members (and the occasional nurse) over things that aren't my fault, and monitor the back of the hospital (where my window is) for suspicious activity. I also create spreadsheets, documents, signs, and other odd stuff on the computer, in addition to other office duties.

Its not an exciting job, but I get to read a lot on slow days and get paid pretty decent for it. I like my job and my co-workers and they do occasionally let me out of the office to do other jobs for variety.

I also fix people's computers (for money and because its fun and challenging) and pet sit. I'd like to start volunteering at some animal place again and go back to school, but at the moment the drive is too far and I'm focused on coming up with the money to finish my new chin room and get a new car.

Back