We adopted two dogs, and now...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the pups. I did want to say that rott and dobes are not the only dogs that carry black and tan markings. Usually when people see them they automatically assume that a mix is one of those two.

Those dogs are pretty lucky they found you and you found out! Imagine the surprise of the shelter workers checking that pen in the morning, or YOURS for that matter!

I don't know what to say about the shelter not knowing she was bred. Even without a vet check most people who know about dogs can tell, especially a thin dog with 8 pups. My weims both always had 8 pups... and they were both always HUGE... like they swallows beach balls!

Jessie really didn't look that pregnant, even when we adopted her. The only way you could tell was because her nipples seemed really engorged. She had obviously been starved for a while. We even mentioned something to the shelter workers about how it looked like she had had a litter because of her low hanging teets, but they said it was different in every dog, and she was probably normal.

She really started to gain weight the last week of her pregnancy, and that was really the only time she started to look pregnant.

I'm just glad we got her. I can't imagine what someone else would have done with the pups, or what would have happened to them if they had been born in the shelter!!

im pretty disgusted that the shelter was paying so little attention that they overlooked an almost full term pregnancy in their care. BAH!

UPDATED PICS ON SNAPFISH!!

The pics are of the pups at 2 weeks old. You can still use the link above, I believe!

I can see why you couldn't leave the shelter without that adorable golden. What a sweet face she has! Congrats on the new puppies. You were definitely in the right place at the right time Jenny-- it was meant to be!

Ash - if you want one, we can arrange that! They will be needing good homes in about 5 weeks.

The puppies were three weeks old yesterday, and they are starting to be quite the handful. When I go out to walk Jess and Chase, the puppies howl until you pick them up and give them a good morning cuddle. It's very cute, but man can they howl! I wouldn't have thought such a beastly noise could come out of a cute puppy!

I spoke with the shelter a few days ago, and they have agreed to help us with the shots, which is awesome. We have some people interested in adopting them, but we had several people interested in adopting the kittens this past summer, and that didn't work at as well as one might have hoped (the last two FINALLY went home this past weekend - they were born in April). I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

My husband does want to keep one of them, and he wants to train her in Schutzhound (sp?). For those who don't know, Shutzhound is a lot like what police dogs go through, only the dogs compete in various competitions. We'll have to look up a professional trainer, though...

Terrible evening :(

I was home ill yesterday, and I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to my husband screaming at me to call the vet. He had one of the puppies with him, the big black one who looks like a bear. I looked at him, and I almost passed out.

We checked the pen, and there is nothing in it that could have caused this much damage. It looks like someone tried to skin him. His fur was completely degloved up to his neck and back to near his rear, and he had a bad puncture would to his throat. Thankfully, by some amazing luck, there is absolutely NO internal damage. The puncture would to the neck, which was probably intended to kill him, missed all the arteries and vessels. The massive wound across his back (it goes from under his front left paw to under his front right paw) is superficial; none of the internal organs were damaged.

We rushed him to the vet, then to a 24-hour emergency vet in Cincy. He is still there, and when I called this morning, he was doing well. He had gone to the bathroom, but he didn't feel like eating (not that I blame him). They are monitoring his glucose, but he's doing really well. None of the other pups or dogs were hurt.

My husband is an occasional squirrel hunter. He looked at me after we handed him over to the e-vet and said that's how he skins squirrels. The cut was absolutely straight - and it was done with something very sharp. It looks like someone did this. We're hoping he pulls through, but it's going to cost us a lot of money, and he has a long road to recovery ahead of him (he might need another surgery in a few months). The vet thinks the next few months might be tough, but luckily he should live a long, healthy life after he gets through this. The big worry is anesthesia - he weighs 4.5 lbs., but he's so young they're concerned.

Who would do this? Who would look at a 4-week-old puppy and think of something so horrible? I know it's a long shot, but if ANYONE knows of ANYTHING going on in southern Indiana - animal torture/mutilations - please let me know. We are so hurt and angry, and seeing this little guy in an incubator whimpering broke both of our hearts. We pray he comes out of it, and we pray whoever did this pays.

I am so so sorry about the puppy :( I'm praying he makes it.

Please....I'm begging you to bring all of them inside. Even if they have to go in the basement. I know in some states it is the "culture" to keep dogs outside but dogs really deserve to be kept safe and sound inside with their humans.

I can't believe someone would actually DO that, but I'm sure there are people who would. I wonder why the mama dog didn't bark. Are both your adult dogs outside? Why didn't either dog bark? Very weird. I hope this little dog makes it and I hope they have him on adequate pain medication. Poor thing.

Oh, trust me, they are inside now. I fought having outdoor dogs from the beginning. I was raised that dogs were a part of the family and NOT kept outdoors. My husband has only lived with outdoor animals, and he wanted a dog so bad. We have the zoo indoors, so we thought they would be okay. We never dreamed someone would do something like this. We have an insulated shed that we can lock, and they will go in there when we are not home or asleep. It is plenty big enough for them to have their beds, food and water, and there is space enough to potty if necessary (early paper training, I guess).

If we had had room for these puppies inside from the beginning, they would have been indoors, but we didn't plan for 10 dogs - we planned for two who were grown and could care for themselves.

As for neither of the dogs barking, they might have. I was so out of it I slept through my husband's pounding on the door. He had to scream in my face to wake me up. Jessie is timid around people she doesn't know, and Chase is pretty much worthless as a guard dog (he loves people WAY too much to scare them away!). All someone would have had to do is go to the fence, call for the pups, and they would have come bouncing over. I'm just completely sick about all of this, and my husband is rethinking his outdoor only dog policy. He's already talking about moving Jessie and Chaser to totally indoors after the pups are at their new homes.

I was raised with parents that kept most of their dogs outside so I was thrilled when I got my own place and could keep my dogs how I wanted.

I know keeping a large litter is hard....boy do they poop and pee a lot..but think of all the puppy love lol.

Could it of been some sort of wild animal trying to tear him through the bars of the pen? That is scary if you have a person living near you that could do that to a puppy.

Latest posts

Back