We adopted two dogs, and now...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a surprise! Congrats on your new additions and good luck with the litter.

Totally off topic, but about "Warlocks..." I've read that those dogs had all kinds of health problems due to the unnaturally large frame and because they were a fad bred by backyard breeders... I don't think the AKC standard is for Dobes to be that big.

The puppies were born early this morning. When we went out to walk the dogs at 6:00, she had her litter all ready for feeding!

The vet was a little off on the count - she was supposed to have 5 or 6, she had 8 as of when we left! I will be setting up a vet appointment for her for tomorrow to have everyone checked.

All of the pups are black, and a couple have rottie markings, so it looks like at least a couple of the pups had a rottie/rottie mixed father. Mom was doing okay, but the pups were really big and she was very tired. We'll keep an eye on her.

I'll try to get pics in the next couple of days!!

Congratulations! [I think?] Glad everything came out O.K. and all seem healthy, so far!
Maybe ask the vet for a housecall, as moving them all at once is going to be a triple handfull!
Rots and Dobes have very simular markings - was she accessable to a Dobe?

We have no idea what kind of males she had access to. She was found as a stray and brought to the shelter. She stayed there for a week, then we adopted her. I thought maybe they might have dobie in them, but they have the blocky heads of a rottie.

you might have to supplement those puppies with the mother being so thin. If I was you I would supplement no matter what - too help the mom

I would be worried about adopting a dog that hasn't been checked out by a vet.

Sam, my newfie, came from a shelter with no on site vet. They didn't even know he was blind. I had to tell them after observing him for about 10 minutes and trying a couple things. Not for profit shelters are lucky to be able to even take the animals in, in hopes of finding them new homes. They consider it good to be able to feed, water, and shelter them until they do. Animals with obvious issues (i.e., life or death) get seen, but other than that it's a "buyer beware" mentality. I took Sam straight from the shelter to the vets, not only for a check up, but to confirm the blindness and to get him castrated asap. The contract was for a week to 2 weeks, but I just wanted to get it done. He had an ear infection, he was definitely blind, and he got chop-chopped that next morning. Other than that, he's healthy as a horse.

Oh, and they were so happy to find someone willing to take a blind newf, they gave him to me for free! :)

Jenny - Congrats (?) on the new additions. I hope you're able to find homes for all the pups and that mom is okay to nurse them without dragging herself down. There's an idiot out here who keeps a nonspayed female TIED in his back yard, with no fence. Then he gets pissed because male dogs keep coming into his yard and getting her pregnant over and over and over again. Does the dumb*** get her spayed? Of course not. Why? "Because it's my yard! Why should I???" I found Sam because he was going to shoot the last litter of puppies, so I grabbed them and took them to the shelter where Sam was. I aaaaalmost made it out the door, then that big ole' black head popped up and I was a goner. <sigh>

Congrats! I'm glad everything went well through the delivery. Eight pups is a large litter.
Poor girl must be exhausted! You should definitely make sure she is getting a lot of extras in her diet. We gave our dog scrambled eggs and rice in her food to help her bulk up.

Tunes, I can't believe that guy was going to shoot the pups! What a jerk!!!

How are mom and the babies doing? What a surprise to adopt a dog and end up having to raise a litter of puppies!

I am very anxious to see pictures. I hope the mama is healthy enough to care for them. I think she will be since she is being given plenty of good food now. Even if she is thin. She probably won't put on weight until the puppies are weaned. I'm dying to see pictures!! I wish I had room for another dog! Indiana isn't that far.

How did I miss this thread the last few days? I am so glad that the pups made it into this world without incident. That is one good mama doggie! She had all the babies without you having to wait up all night...almost like a chinchilla. :)

Eight? Seriously? That's going to be tough, but they will be adorable.

And, yes, I need pictures as well. Mentioning babies being born is saying that you will post pictures ASAP! :) Puppies especially.

Ive never raised pups or had a pregnant dog but if youre looking for advise, mine would be to start feeding the mom some high quality puppy food to get some weight on her. and i believe you can feed tums for extra calcium as well!

:banghead:

I can't post pics from school!!! I'm so sorry, I'm trying so hard!! I will get them up on the internet and post a link!!

FINALLY!!! I posted on snapfish!!

Here is the link:

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnails...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Everyone is still doing really well. The pups have their eyes most of the way open, and we are going to take two-week old pics on Wednesday or Thursday.

We took a pic to the vet, and she said based on head shape and overall size, their daddy was more than likely some sort of mastiff or newfoundland mix, so they are going to be BIG dogs!!! :)

Chase is the big, goofy dog in the pic with my husband and me, and he loves the puppies! He even got one out of the rain (he got out of the whelping box) and took him into his house to keep him warm and dry. It was very sweet!

Sorry again for the delay!

The family is sooo adorable. I love mom.

I just have a couple of concerns..they are all living outside? Isn't it quite chilly at night in Indiana? The babes are going to start wandering soon. Are they contained?

They are in a pen, and we are currently working on getting them inside. They have a covered house as a whelping box, and it is lined with fleece. It stays VERY warm in there!

Temps are supposed to drop this week, so they will spend some time inside. With the rest of the menagerie, we wanted to give the dogs space to roam, so when we're home, they're out of their pen and with us.

Latest posts

Back