Tempature and the Limits!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's alright, thats why I asked the question to make sure "if" I got one that he/she would be all set for life.

I'm just curious. How much is AC units per month? I sat down and had a talk with my mother and she told me they cost 300 per month if they are on all the time.

You all use them, so you must all know.

Last edited:
My electric is never ever that high, in my apartment. I have mine set to only come on when it gets to a certain point, and I live in an apartment, and I pay about 100 a month for electric.

Now, that is area specific. I am in Pennsylvania, but I highly doubt that an energy saver AC unit would cost that much in a bedroom with a shut door......:)

Mine was never that high! I currently live with my parents, but last summer I had my own apartment and the only room in the apartment that had a/c was the chin room. It was my 2nd bedroom that I just put the chinchilla cages in since I didn't have a roommate.
It didn't have sun on it and was at the back of the apartment which I'm sure helped.
But on average in the summer I'd say my electricity bill was around $75-$100 I can't remember exactly because my bills were all combined into one, but I know for a fact it was not over $100.

I have my chin in the the basement, as it is always cool down there. We do run a dehumidifier at all times though. Not sure if the cost of running it is the same as an ac.

We do have a dehumidifier in the basement. .. Of COURSe.. my parents don't turn it on.. I don't know why.

My bedroom is the size of a studio apartment. Its pretty big. I'm going to try some things to get the temp to do down.

Tint the windows, and add more curtains/shades

We just bought an electricity thing that tells you how much electricity certain things use. We have 2, 15000 btu edgestar portable ac units in our chin room (converted garage) and they only cost $80 of our $500 electricity bill! So one would be half of that! The central air, air purifier and the other stuff (fans, heaters for the hedgies, etc) cost the rest. I would have bet money on it that the portables were using more electricity. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Mid 80's is pushing what they can tolerate, you'll notice some weight loss and energy loss if you leave him as is. The problem is that the summer has just started and your house is going to get quite a bit hotter. If that was as hot as it was going to get I would say it is fine, but it's not.

They make air conditioners for those types of windows.

I've been told several times that most chinchillas, if acclimated can "survive" higher temps. My thoughts are, while I would NEVER personally do it, as it is NOT worth the risk, nor am I suggesting it...but simply thinking out loud...

If these animals are already currently in a house that is being kept hot (did you happen to see a temp reading??), they are obviously used to the higher temps and can withstand it... So chances are, if the temps are higher then the 83 your room gets...they may be ok without the a/c. Would I personally chance it? Heck no!! But I have heard of people keeping chinchillas outside after a period of time and them getting used to the temp changing.

For me personally, my a/c is kept set at 60 degrees. It normally keeps the room around 68-70, as I do keep a window cracked for ventilation. The a/c is kept in the window during the fall/winter/spring months as well..for those oddly warm days that we need to turn it on. It runs during the summer day and night.and really only rises the bill about $15ish a month. If my temps get higher then 74 my personal animals are lethagaric, ears are red, and you can tell something is wrong.

I'd look into your basement as well for summer months. Many people keep their chins in the basement with little problems. I have to also agree with Tara. Summer is just starting I don't know if your weather has been as screwed up as it is here in PA, but it's been mostly very rainy and cooler then normal. Our days are mostly around 76-80... Nothing is high like it normally is..so your temps may really rise when we start to get some nicer weather.

Sounds like your parents are not on board with you getting a chin, I would be worried that if you were gone for a day they might feel the A/C or dehumidifier may be a waste of energy and turn it off. Maybe you need to wait until you can control the situation fully when you move out.

I'm just curious. How much is AC units per month? I sat down and had a talk with my mother and she told me they cost 300 per month if they are on all the time.

Your mother is.......misinformed. My entire house has a/c, two stories, three bedrooms, 2000 square feet, plus I air condition an oversized one car garage that was converted to a chin barn. It costs me $150.00 a month maybe $180.00 if we run the high 90s, low 100s for an extended period of time. There is no way ONE a/c is going to run $300.00 a month.

I'm with tickelchin. You're 23 years old, just graduated college, and you're going to be worrying about finding a job and working etc. Now may not be the best time to get a chinchilla. Why not wait until you have your own place, where you don't have to worry that your parents will get ticked off and turn the a/c off when you're not home or because they think it costs too much? There are a lot of apartments that allow chins because they are caged. Wait until you move out, then get your a/c, your dehumidifier, and your chin. Problem solved! :)

I'm with Tunes, your mom is misinformed or maybe doesn't want to deal with it. My barn's utility bill has not gone over $30/month. I have 16 chinchillas, lights, filters, a/c and my horse's fence charger. It has been over 100 here and does not get below 80 at night, the a/c runs continuously.

Glad you asked before getting one. If you get your own place you would be able to have more room, bigger cage, and don't have to worry about your parents. :))

Last edited:
I think, just maybe, your mother embellished because they do not want you running one, and she picked a high number to maybe put the thought of it out of your head?.

I agree with everyone else. It is very exaggerated, the rate your mother gave you. I also think TickleChin and Tunes are correct in their thinking, of maybe waiting until you have your own place.

Well folks another temp update. I went out and got a digital thermometer. WOO and did it make a difference.

My digital thermometer gave me a MUCH different reading then that other piece of crap I was using. Which makes sense. I couldn't believe it was 80-83 in my room it didnt feel like it at all.

It only reaches a high of 78. Which is.. better.. I want it lower.. but 78 is much lower then 83.

I was looking online on ways to maybe reflect heat back outside. Turns out they have films that do it for you. Course after buying all that I did, I dont have the money to spend on film just yet.

I feel rather white trashy.. but I thought about cars.. and how they put those foil fold outs in the front window.. that's right folks.. tin foil.. I taped it to my window. Sure no light gets in but lets be real, chinchilla's don't enjoy light anyways.

However, I have a half wall in my room with more windows on the other side. I might have to tinfoil those too. Not sure, we will see.

If I guess right, it should reflect the heat back outside, and allow the room to stay a bit cooler.. lets hope it works.

Oh but there is MORE?!?.. my mother saw the windows from outside and said to me.. oh why didn't you tell me I have some of that film people can use to reflect heat.

Its not so much that my mother does not want me to have it. Heck she is the one on my side. Its my father who doesn't like pets. As long as I pay for it, and take care of it he wont care.

If this window treatment doesn't work. I might just call off Tuesday. I don't want a chinchilla that I own to be suffering in a hot room.

It only reaches a high of 78. Which is.. better.. I want it lower.. but 78 is much lower then 83.

I does need to be lower 78 is still a bit high

Sure no light gets in but lets be real, chinchilla's don't enjoy light anyways.

Chinchillas do need light. They also enjoy light I find often if there is a light spot they will bask in it, but they need light. natural light is best. Most Ranchers and others with little natural light in their chinchilla rooms use natural light bulbs on a 12 hours on 12 hours off schedule.

At this point the temp is the major issue.
Plus at a certain point of the day the sun is no longer a threat. I can open the window and let some light in. It all works out.

I didn't want to comment on this because I didn't want to offend you, but you really sound like you have your decision made.

I don't think it's all worked out. You said that you can't get it lower than 78, even in a room that has no sunlight coming in. What happens if it gets warmer outside and it gets even warmer in the room? 78 is very high in the first place. I adopted out a rescue to a couple 2 months ago. They contacted me last week and told me the chin had passed away. Upon pressing further they let me know they kept their home 78-79. The chin overheated and passed away, even though I had given them information that stated they should not be in a temperature over 74. I think it is completely unfair for you to bring a chinchilla into a home where you know it will be uncomfortable. He may not overheat (at least we hope so), but can you imagine sitting in a 78 degree room wearing a fur coat? Even sitting there you would be hot. If you even tried to run around you would be extremely uncomfortable and could most definitely overheat.

You also said that the breeder was fine, except for the temperature issue. That being said, it automatically makes that breeder not the greatest. I have no doubt the breeder has lost chins due to temperature, especially if it is as warm as you say. I definitely wouldn't be giving my money to someone who doesn't care about their animal's well being.

I just honestly can't imagine bringing a life into your care knowing you may be putting that life at risk. I really think you should look into a different pet that temperature isn't as much of an issue for. You also always have the option of waiting until you move out and are able to have an air conditioner on.

any breeder who has temperature issues is not fine. A good breeder wouldn't have a temperature issue.

I am very concerned still, and I've read all the previous posts, and I don't know if you are taking us serious when we say the temps are still way too high. You say it's at 78 now, and you are getting the chin on Tuesday (from a not so good breeder as it sounds) Do you really think you can get the temp down to the mid 60's in 2 days without an A/C unit? I think that is impossible (or maybe not) even with the room pitch dark and "reflecting heat". It is currently 65 in my room where my chins are, and I am sitting here in a sweatshirt and socks and still shivering, but they are very happy and content. But if it was to my liking, around 75, they would be miserable, so chinnies before humans is the saying in this house, because it is for their safety.

And I agree with everyone else, please, please please call Tuesday off. You don't need to bring an animal that sensitive into a home where you are not 100% sure you can keep the temp constantly low. Just wait until you have your own place where you can control the temp and where you pay your own bills (There will still be plenty of chins that need good homes then).

I guess I'm just fortunate enough that I spend the summers at my parent's house, and they love it cold.

Funny, it seems every time I come back with a "I think this might work" scenario. You guys break it down to. Its not good enough. I just put the tin-foil up today. Tomorrow is Monday. Another 80 degree day outside. Like I said, I'll see how the temp goes with the windows done. If it doesn't help them I just wont get one. Plain and simple. I waited 4 years. Whats a little more? And I have a job, for some reason my folks are just resisting my want to use AC in my room. I don't get it. Oh well..

As for the future I'm not going to be posting after this post. I know your all trying to help me. But if you read post after post. Its a bit over kill.

We are trying to help and we have seen it done and tried and are just trying to be sure you know if the temp is right or not. High 70's not ok.

Back