Tempature and the Limits!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're just here to make it clear that some things are for the benefit and well being of a living animal that is actually very difficult to take care of, it's nothing against you.

Blarklark - It's not overkill. People kept trying to tell you, in the nicest way possible, that your environment is not safe for a chinchilla. Every time they did, you would come up with another way to try and avoid the advice given. So they tried again, and you posted again, and then again. The reason people keep trying to get through to you is because they have had experience with this and they don't want you (but more especially your chin) to suffer through this type of thing and end up with a dead or extremely debilitated chin after he suffers a heat stroke.

If your aluminum foil on the window helps, that's great, but I doubt it's going to be able to keep the room at 70 or less if it's 90 degrees outside. If it does, by all means, come back and prove people wrong.

I will tell you, whether you choose to post here again or not, that I can't think of a single reputable breeder right off hand that would allow their chins to sit at that kind of sweltering temperature. Oh, I'm sure there is one here or there, but not "the big guys", which is who we all learn so much from. Ryerson's, Shoots, etc. They keep their barns at a more comfortable temperature for the health and well being of their chins. It sounds as though the breeder you are going to buy from is definitely not one of them.

If you choose to leave because people disagreed with you on this thread, then a forum is probably not the place for you. That's what happens on forums. People try to educate you, despite you repeatedly refusing the information that was given, and so it seems as though you are being picked at. No, you are just seeing the frustration of years of chinchilla ownership being ignored.

Do you all honestly think I would put another life through hell? Do you think I'm that type of person?

And for all your information, that women who had the chinchilla's that were in the hot room. Had no kits. So no I was not going to be getting a kit from her. Its another women in my area. She has been doing it for longer then the other women with the hot room.

I'm simply trying to find a loop hole out of this heat mess. But if it can't be done then it can't be done. I was not continuously posting over and over to send the message that I don't care what you guys think. I'm simply trying to make things work.

I would just hope that people like yourselves would want to help more. It seems the person above this message is more then willing to let friends go? If, I knew someone had been waiting as long as 4 years. And still was unable, I would be supportive in some way. Not brash.

My apologies, I said I was not going to post again, but it seems people here push buttons as much as they can. Even with knowing people have been pushed to the edge.

We do want to help more. There is no loop hole in heat you need ac or a cool dry basement. I don't get what you mean by pushing buttons other than you aren't getting the answer you would like. Chinchillas need AC period.

Blarklark- We understand what you are asking, and we are also trying to help. Everyone has told you what will and what will not work. But, that being said, you have come back to tell us that what we have suggested is not an option, so what else are we supposed to do? We are telling you that the things you are suggesting to do to make this work; I understand you are trying to make this work, I honestly do, but they are honestly, just not good enough. We are not bashing you in any way, shape, or form, just trying to help you understand that this is probably not the best thing to happen right now.

And all Tunes is saying is that if you are not willing to take our advice since you have come to us for help, that maybe you should not be here. She's not bashing you either.

You know, if you got an A/C, you probably would only need to really run it maybe a few hours a day and that would be for maybe a few weeks during the summer. It wouldn't increase the bills that much. I won't let my chins get above about 77 or 78, but they're acclimated to being in the 70s right now and there is a lot of air movement at that temperature...not to mention that I am home all day and the air conditioning will be lowered if I see chins that appear to be uncomfortable. (If I am gone for more than a couple hours, someone else is here watching...that's how important it is in the summer and fall when it is too warm outside.)

If you were in Phoenix, I wouldn't sell you a chin if you didn't have air conditioning. It's a lot cooler where you are, but there's those days where it may be a little warm for your little guy.

The subject of chins getting too warm is something that will spark a lot of emotions. Once you have a chin you'll understand because you will never want anything to hurt that little precious animal.

At any rate, just do what is right...that's all that matters. And...tell your parents that you need something that will help keep the temperature lower in your room! You are old enough that they can trust you not to run the electric bill up too high. The only problem is that if you can't get a cheaper window unit those portable ones can be very pricey...

From what you posted it sounds as if you parents aren't really into you getting a chin. Otherwise they would buy you an ac unit. It also sounds as if you are strapped for cash, and that once you buy the chin you will have no money left over for the care of the animal? I know you are excited about getting the chin. We all were at one time or another with our chins or we wouldn't be coming to this site. Why can't you put the chin in the basement until you can convince or afford to purhcase an ac? In the mean time maybe you could look for a cheap used ac on craigslist or your local newspaper. Think of what will happen if you get the chin, it dies and you are upset. I am sure your folks will not be supportive of you or encourage you to ever get another one.

Sorry, but in chin ownership, in the US, there is hardly away around an A/C and that is the long and short of it. I commend you for trying to find other ways, but there simply is not another way around it.

It is only 80 outside, and your place is mid 70's. Tin foil and wondow treatments can only help so far. That just will not be effective enough should it hit say, 90 out. We are here for the chins, and sometimes that means saying what needs to be said, knowing it is not what wants to be heard.

Maybe you can print out the chin care sheets from here, and show them to your dad and tell him why the A/C is needed.

You don't have to get a window unit for AC. I too had the problem with the windows being too small for a unit and did some looking around. There is a type of A/C that sits on the ground and can be rolled around that cools just as good as a window unit. I saw it in a small restaurant it it worked great. I think you can get them at Lowes/Home Depot. I myself could not use it because I let my chins play in the chin room and they would have chewed the cord in less than a minute. What I ended up doing was have my husband cut a hole in the wall for a window unit (the side wall backs up to the garage) and installed a small unit up high where the chins couldn't get to the cord. It works great. They do not add much to your overall electric bill. I would offer to pay them a certain amount each month towards the electricity.

But please do not make your chin go without A/C. Imagine yourself sitting in that room with a full length fur coat (with a full face hat and slippers of course). That is what your chin is going to feel like.

Cheryl

If you would like a chinchilla care sheet for your parents I have one I would be more than happy to email to you. Just let me know.

I would just hope that people like yourselves would want to help more. It seems the person above this message is more then willing to let friends go? If, I knew someone had been waiting as long as 4 years. And still was unable, I would be supportive in some way. Not brash.

My apologies, I said I was not going to post again, but it seems people here push buttons as much as they can. Even with knowing people have been pushed to the edge.
You've been getting help - just because you don't like the things people have been saying in the best interests of any chinchillas you might get does not give you the right to go spouting off about people you do not know.
No-one has been remotely rude to you or "pushed buttons" - they have simply explained (ad nauseam) that you need to invest in air-con.

You came here for advice and people have given it - what you choose to do with it is up to you but don't shout down those who took the time to try and educate you. They care about the chins' welfare and are trying to stop you from making mistakes that could cost a chin it's life - honestly there's nothing worse than coming home to find a chin dead when you could have prevented it.

All humans and animals have a tempature that when it exceeds that number they have heat strokes and die. I don't know the number for humans but I would guess around maybe 110-120 degrees, the number would be lower if you wore thick fur coveralls. Maybe you should try that. Put on your warmest winter clothes and run, jump and hop around half of the night. It just isn't up for debate, the chin needs a cooler home. You also need to take into acount that the tempature is just going to get warmer, it is only early July.

Other than the "ad nauseam" comment, I do feel as though you've been given very good information and advice on the subject of chinchillas and temperature.

Yeah, I wouldn't do about 75F. However, while people talk about temperature all the time, and yes, 75F is around the generally agreed maximum, I would worry about the humidity even if its not in your humd basement. I am not sure where in New England you are, but when I lived in Boston the humidity could get near 100% (as it can get in many other places) and there are some (including myself) who take into consideration both heat and humidity when determining an acceptable chinchilla environment.

This excerpt is taken from the Meadowbrook Chinchillas website:

"In the book, JOY OF CHINCHILLAS, there is a section that talks about heat stroke. The following is a quote from that section:

"Chinchillas can die from heat stroke, and it is preventable! If temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit) and humidity add up to 150 (e.g. temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is 60%, the sum equals 150) then that is dangerous to the chinchillas. The chinchilla comfort zone is 65 degrees to 80 degrees Fahrenheit tops. They can tolerate cold far easier than heat (of course, they have a nice fur coat). Humidity should be around 30% to 40%. Below 25% humidity even humans develop dry cracked skin - so, decrease bathing which causes dry skin if done excessively. Remember, if you are uncomfortable from either heat or humidity, your chinchilla will also be uncomfortable. The rule of 150 goes for humans too, and if the temperature plus humidity is 150 or above you also are in danger of heat problems. If you are in danger, how much more your chinchilla, who cannot sweat nor take off its nice fur coat!!!"

"Air movement by fans cools just by circulating the air, so use fans to blow air around your chinchilla. Don't blow air directly on your chinchilla, but cool the environment instead. Having access to an air conditioner can save your animal's life. Filling your chinchilla's cage with jars of ice, or dishes of ice cubes, so they can lay next to the ice to cool off also helps. (Chinchillas sometimes chew on ice cubes, and though this is thought to crack teeth, it is not as yet been proven.) Other ideas are: soaking them in cool (not cold) water, turning the water sprinklers or misters onto the cage or spraying the cages with water, or putting wet sheets over cages and using a fan to speed evaporation can also cool off your chinchilla. Anything to cool them off will make a difference and can save a life. Heatstroke is fatal...""

Unfortunately, this may also mean that you could need a dehumidifier if it is often humid there, though if you got AC it may help with that as well.

Also, everyone has different costs for electricity, depneding on where you live and how the electricity is made. I DO remember electricity being expensive in Boston even when the AC wasn't run all the time.

Hopefully this helps you out! :)

Last edited:
"Air movement by fans cools just by circulating the air, so use fans to blow air around your chinchilla. Don't blow air directly on your chinchilla, but cool the environment instead. Having access to an air conditioner can save your animal's life. Filling your chinchilla's cage with jars of ice, or dishes of ice cubes, so they can lay next to the ice to cool off also helps. (Chinchillas sometimes chew on ice cubes, and though this is thought to crack teeth, it is not as yet been proven.) Other ideas are: soaking them in cool (not cold) water, turning the water sprinklers or misters onto the cage or spraying the cages with water, or putting wet sheets over cages and using a fan to speed evaporation can also cool off your chinchilla. Anything to cool them off will make a difference and can save a life. Heatstroke is fatal...""

I'm with you on the first paragraph - but the second one is not something I would consider. They almost make it sound like an a/c is secondary, and if you don't have one, giving your chin nice wet dunks on a regular basis and spraying them with water will help out with their body temperature. What a miserable existence that would be for a chin, who comes from a dry, arid environment. Most people work hard to keep their chins cool and dry. Maybe they mean "in an emergency", but they don't clarify that in this particular paragraph.

Also, chins don't sweat, so moving air around them doesn't accomplish much. It does help break up humidity, but from personal experience I can tell you, a fan blows around hot air when it's hot. It doesn't make the air feel cooler.

I've been told several times that most chinchillas, if acclimated can "survive" higher temps. My thoughts are, while I would NEVER personally do it, as it is NOT worth the risk, nor am I suggesting it...but simply thinking out loud...
I would never try to acclimatise a chinchilla. The weather here in San Diego has been getting hotter and hotter every year and on the hot days I simply melt into a giant gooey puddle and can't function. If I haven't been able to acclimatise, I certainly don't expect furred animals to acclimatise to extreme heat either.

I don't think it's all worked out. You said that you can't get it lower than 78, even in a room that has no sunlight coming in. What happens if it gets warmer outside and it gets even warmer in the room? 78 is very high in the first place. I adopted out a rescue to a couple 2 months ago. They contacted me last week and told me the chin had passed away. Upon pressing further they let me know they kept their home 78-79. The chin overheated and passed away, even though I had given them information that stated they should not be in a temperature over 74.
Personally, I think that 74 is too high a temperature for chinchillas to be kept in.

The first thing I tell all prospective adopters is that chinchilla's require air conditioning and need to be kept around 60 degrees year round. I understand that due to weather the temp can't always be kept at 60, but that is what I aim for and where the chins seem to be the most comfortable.

I have never had a problem keeping a chinchilla at 74 or less. I don't think anyone can be expected to keep their chins at 60 degrees. I know breeders, rescues, and pet owners that keep their home at 75 and have never had a problem, nor do their chins act like it is a problem. I can think of 3 well known breeders on here, off the top of my head that have stated they keep their chin room at 75-76 all year around. I'm not saying I agree with temperatures that high, but I am saying that people have good luck with it and from what they have told me, they don't have uncomfortable chins. 78 is definitely getting too high, especially with it not being as hot as it's going to get during the summer yet, but I still don't think a chin is going to overheat at anything below 74 (unless they are used to always being in a 60 degree area).

This will always be something that not everyone agrees on. Some say 60, others say 75. I still remain in the consensus that 60 is not something that many people can do, and that is absolutely necessary to have a comfortable chinchilla. In the south, with temperatures reaching 100 each day, it is physically impossible for me to keep my chin room that cold. My AC doesn't even go below 64 (which is what I usually keep it on and it keeps my chin room at a steady 70). My chins' ears and toesies remain nice and chilly at 70.

Essentia, I agree. I live in Arizona where its about 115 highs and my house is 74-75 max, but usually around 74. My AC just doesn't go past 68. I can click that button all I want, but simply it just doesn't happen.
I have a ceiling fan on, and on days were its above 100 I put freezed marble slabs in (Even though my house is again, 75)
I know most people will not agree, but I will gladly post photos of my plump, healthy, and thick coated chins.
To me, unless you have a chin room, 60 is unreasonably cold for a house or apartment. And I don't think AC here in AZ work that well, lol.
However, I would never push 76. I am very cautious about my animals and agree that 75 is the max.

I personally think most of the info in Joy of chinchillas is either outdated or just plain wrong, the 150 rule makes me giggle.

the 150 rule makes me giggle.

I think that's been reworded a bit so that it makes more sense now than it did 8 or 9 years ago. Now it's not "combined 150 or below is okay."

Back