Semi help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susansheila

Welcome to my zoo
My daughter is almost 15 and her school is having a semi formal in Nov. She knows who she wants to ask. I'm so not ready for this. We have always told her she couldn't date until she was 16, lol.

When the date gets closer and she still wants this same person to go, what do I do as far as meeting the parents and who drives? Any tips, comments and/or advice would be great. Thanks :)

Do people still meet up with the parents nowadays? I didn't. I just met the boy that asked Rhiannon. I threatened him with several forms of painful death if he hurt her or caused her to be hurt in any way, made him give me his cell phone and home phone numbers, as well as his license number, looked over the car they would be going in to make sure it was safe, then off they went.

Haha, thanks Peggy. You gave me some great advice. Like the threats and phone number exchange.

Neither one can drive. So I think I will drive both ways, I'd feel better.

Try not to growl at the boy, that's my advice LOL! And try not to embarass her TOO much! Is she supposed to do the asking or could someone end up asking her?

Well, she's at an all girls school. So . . . She does have someone in mind. She was talking to a friend about semi and he overheard her and said "if you want I'll go with you".

Sooz! I totally forgot she's at the all girls school LOL! I bet she's excited as ALL get out! I wish I was closer so I could come and do her nails for her!

Sooz! I totally forgot she's at the all girls school LOL! I bet she's excited as ALL get out! I wish I was closer so I could come and do her nails for her!

Laurie, you would be so cute with a daughter you are so sweet and motherly.

I would check everything out, meet the boy, if you want meet his parents. Do what YOU feel comfortable with, this is YOUR daughter, don't worry about what everyone does or has done. If you want to run a background check on him, by all means, you're the one who has to sleep that night!

One thing to remember is, once he gets there, or you pick him up, or whatever, don't fuss about her too much, let her enjoy her special night. She knows you made an exception to your no dating until your 16 rule for this occasion, and that alone will make it super special for her ( if not, remind her!)

Neither one can drive. So I think I will drive both ways, I'd feel better.

Then I definitely wouldn't worry about meeting the parents. This is a one time deal, because she knows she's too young to date, and you'll be driving them to and from. What could possibly be different in that arrangement if you meet his parents?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

And yes, Ash is right, I do want to chaperone!!

I think for just a dance, I personally wouldn't worry about meeting the parents. Probably if they were dating though I would be interested in knowing the family dynamics. I'm more conservative than some though.

And as far as chaperoning the dance, if my mom had chaperoned my dances, I wouldn't have minded. Some of my friend's moms always did.

Um, I really am a redneck. When I saw the title "Semi Help" I was wondering what was wrong with your Mack truck ;)

It's okay, that's where my mind when first, too, and I'm about as far from redneck as it gets, haha.

My advise would be to try and stop her from building up the dance too much ahead of time.

Not "don't get excited." Don't build it up to unrealistic heights at which point the dance will become a huge disappointment compared to her expectations. Remind her to enjoy the dance for what it is, that's all.

Why not? Let her get excited, it's her first dance. She should be excited about it.

see ash, you ARE girly! post those pics of your dance! lol jk

but anyways, how exciting! i kinda miss those days of going to dances!

Hahaha I'm not. But I can understand girls being excited about something. I have 3 little sisters. I'd never tell them to not get excited about a dance.

Back