pomeranians - really evil?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbt622

Crazy Chin Lady!
I've always had a secret love for pomeranians, and any other ball of fluff animal (hence my love for chins ;) ) but i've never done anything about the poms. My boyfriend knows I love them but that's about it. However, just yesterday I came across a little pom pup on petfinder that is up for adoption at a rescue in my town. He is two months old and absolutely precious. My only concern is... I've heard from various people that poms aren't the best when it comes to dogs' personalities. Now does anyone have experience with this? I've heard that they are needy, but I wonder if this is just bad pet ownership in most cases. I know they're tiny so they may try to maybe "control" their owners or be their owner's master, but this could happen with any dog, right? I guess I want to hear everyone's experience who have had poms - whether they have enjoyed it or not. I really would love to get this boy but want to make sure I'm right in making the decision. Thanks!

Well, my aunt had one, and she was a sweetie. I have heard from other friends that have them that they can get yappy, but I think it also depends on the dog and the owner. Animals all have their different personalities, and 2 months is little, I bet they are an adorable little puff ball!

I had a Black Pom that "ruled the roost" w/4 pits and a lab!
But he was a real sweety with people! I believe it's all how they're raised!
One of the reasons we moved back to a 'country setting', was the last house was on a busy street - he walked through the fence at night , and got to the street - [I didn't think the 5" gap was big enough] goodbye Herculese! I liked the little guy, and miss him!
Keep one away from your chins though - they're natural 'ratters'!

Well, i never met him but my fiance always tells me about the Pom his grandfather used to have. He said she was really sweet, and extremely obedient and well trained. she would always come when called (by his grandfather anyway), and was not very yippy.

Now. I have also heard of yippy terror poms. I think it depends on the dog, and how well they were raised/trained.

Well let me start off by saying for the most part I *hate* small dogs... BUT my ex bought a pom at a petstore. He was a neat little guy. Yappy as can be(why I can't stand little dogs), but was a total love muffin. Wasn't dominant, nasty etc.

I had a good friend when I lived in Texas who had the sweetest Pomeranian--so personally I've never met a mean one!

As a groomer... neither my mom nor I will never, ever, ever own a Pom.

The number one dog we have to muzzle... is a Pomeranian. They tend to be snippy when they don't like things, and they tend to not get the proper grooming care they need for their coats. Their temperament and their coats generally don't go together. They are the wussiest dogs to groom, one little snag and it's "yelp, yelp, yelp"... They tend to be loyal and loving to the people that own them, but it seems when something happens they don't like... it's snippy and yippy.

They're cuter than anything, but there is only one pom I've ever met that I'd even take in, let alone own... and she's not a Pom... she's Jazzi!

I love poms. I have my two girls, my mother has her boy and an older (14 years of age) pom/corgi cross. They only are yappy if you let them be. For example, mine only bark if someone is at the door. They don't bark otherwise. My husband dislikes small dogs, but said they are tolerable for him, since they aren't yappy. Worst thing you hear from them, is the one snores under our bed sometimes at night. LOL.

My mother's two on the otherhand, they will bark if someone is at the door, in the house, or if someone outside of the house is making any noise... she doesn't ever tell them to be quiet or anything so they pretty much do as they please when it comes to barking and do it alot.

It comes down to how you raise them. I find my girls are great for jogging with, walking or running with. They keep pace with me. They will sit perfectly still while I groom them, and they are ever so eager for me to put new dog clothes on them or style their fur, etc...

And as far as personality, all the poms I know of are really docile. My kids dress my poms up in dresses and hair bows, dance with them to music, play with them in the house, etc... If you raise the pom as you want them to be, they can be whatever you are looking for in a dog.

My one girl is too friendly and she will just about go off with any person who calls her name. My other girl is a little more shy about strangers though and will hide from them under our bed when they come over.

One lady I know, raised both her boys/obedience trained them, etc... and she can sit a treat on their nose and they will not go for the treat till she tells them they can have it. Again - if you raise them how you want to be, they can be that type of dog. I heard poms were incredibly yappy too when I first got mine...but if you start at an early age with them, they won't be yappy.

And I've never had one be snippy or with a bad attitude. Maybe you've, seen that in them, Nicole, but I have not seen that problem with any I know of.

Last edited:
See and I've worked in grooming salons before and poms definitely were not the nastiest dogs we had. I think chihuahuas are worse.

I haven't met a mean one, they are yippy yes, but all the ones I've dealt with have been nice as far as a small yippy thing goes.

Any small dog can be spoiled into being evil and bratty. I always tell people with small dogs: would you let a 130lb rottie get away with that behavior? No? Then why would you let your little dog do it? Treat it like a dog and it will behave like a dog and not a snotty little beast.

I don't have any pom horror stories, but I do believe Dachshunds to be spawn of satan. Pure evil, awful little creatures.

Chi's are next on the muzzle list! LOL

I think part of it is that we groom more Pom's than chi's. And often people don't bring them in on a good schedule until they are bad, they don't brush them at home and yea... it hurts, but they seem to have a shorter fuse than other breeds when it comes to that.

It does all depend on how they are raised and on their genetics as well. Pets also act different around their families than others.

Yeah, I hate it when people get dogs and don't understand that their dog needs to be brushed. Do you not brush your hair for 2 months??

We had this one chi who was the spawn of Satan, no joke. He turned into a demon when you got anywhere near his head, sounded like a gremlin, it was the scariest thing ever!

I just don't tend to like chi's though in general because so many people spoil them.

My granddaughter has had one for 10 years and she is the sweetest dog. When the dog was a puppy/young dog, Nicole used to constantly dress the dog in doll clothes and put in her a doll carriage and 'wheel her around'. The dog let Nicole do almost anything to her. The dog and Nicole were always together (still are). Even at 10 years the dog is the sweetest dog. My next dog is definately going to be a Pom.

In all honesty, the one breed that I have run into and every single one I have met, had been nasty, are shiba inu dogs. They growl, I have had two try to bite Keira's hand once and that was with the owners holding them back. Even my friend's shiba inu, he tried to bite me once and he attacks her chihuahua, and even she has talked about his attitude and considered giving him away due to it (he's 6 years old now btw.).

I haven't met a pom with a bad attitude, but those little shiba inu dogs, geez... I used to want one so bad, before I got my poms, and am glad I didn't get one. They just don't seem to be family pet type of dogs imo. I have yet to meet one that doesn't try to bite or growls or has to be held down by their owners when guests are over.

Shiba Inus? Really? A friend of mine has one that just turned one and he has always been a sweetheart to everyone and loves other animals, dogs or cats.

As a groomer... neither my mom nor I will never, ever, ever own a Pom.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. I used to groom full time. Now I have another job, but I still do grooming occasionally on the side. From my experience, poms are awful to groom. They are yappy and bitty and won't sit still. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and try to groom the dog to look the best that I can, but with poms it's deffinetly harder then others. I know i'm looking at it from a different angle, never owning one...but just wanted to put my two cents in.

I could think of a lot of other small dog breeds that were much worse behaved at the doggie daycare. Including the yorkies, and I have one!

Most of the poms I had in the yard were pretty chill. They just wanted to hang out and be petted. The one puppy pom was very high energy and tended to kinda nip at his playmates' heels and run around a lot. But the adults were fine. I bathed a brushed a couple and they behaved just fine--but maybe this is not normal. I don't know.

However, my yorkie Kirby is not like the other yorkies we had. He is not yappy, bitey, or bossy. He is a little ADD and somewhat retarded, and he is stubborn, but he very rarely barks and he's pretty good with other dogs. I did not get him as a puppy--I got him as an adult and he came to me as a very unhappy, poorly behaved dog. The other yorkies in the yard were snappy, barked nonstop, and started fights.

I think socialization with other dogs as well as training goes a long way with dogs. I've only had Kirby for 7 months and he's a completely different yorkie now.

Our worst behaved dogs in the small yard (an environment where they are with lots other dogs and only one person) were... JRTs, chihuahuas, and schnauzers. Just my two cents. And yes, I agree with the comment about shiba inus--thankfully we only had one who was ever in the small yard. The neighbor has one that always tries to attack Kirby through the fence.

In all honesty, the one breed that I have run into and every single one I have met, had been nasty, are shiba inu dogs.

I was attacked one time by a shiba in a petsmart. I was walking past minding my own business and the lunged at me and grabbed my hand. I had four bite wounds and had to go to the hospital. I still have the scars...My former boss also had a shiba that she had to lock up any time people came over because he was evil and not socialized. He tried to bite anyone who came in the door. Fun dogs.

Shiba Inus? Really? A friend of mine has one that just turned one and he has always been a sweetheart to everyone and loves other animals, dogs or cats.

Every single one I have met has not been nice.
It's why I went with poms in the first place. I had to think about my kids(can't have something that is going to bite them or be nippy to them!)... and however much I love the look of shiba inu dogs and if I was single or had no kids - I would love to own one and hopefully raise it to be a different kind of dog than what I have seen... the personalities of the ones I have met have been really mean.

They were/are all very spoiled dogs though, and I still think spoiling has alot to do with behavior/attitude with the dogs. My poms for example - I groom them myself, each week and trim their fur once a month. They will sit still on my lap while I trim their fur, and they will let me trim their nails, finger brush their teeth etc... never been to a groomer in one day. I attached a few pics just to show my "vicious" (sarcasm) poms... The only negative comment a guest has ever said of my poms, is the one is like a ping pong ball because she is always bouncing around. LOL.

Attachments

• DSC06448.JPG
    DSC06448.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC06445.jpg
    DSC06445.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC06443.JPG
    DSC06443.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC06451.JPG
    DSC06451.JPG