pomeranians - really evil?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Training is really the important part, and at 8 weeks he's entering prime time to be taught how to be a good carnivore living among humans. I hate the yapping that comes with small dogs, but Petey and Buster belonged to cousins of mine and they were quite sweet once I got into the house. I did have to stomp a foot once and tell Petey to "Knock it off, Fuzzball!" when he tried to snap at me in the middle of the night, but things like crate training take a lot of anxiety out of meeting strangers/having guests.

I don't have any pom horror stories, but I do believe Dachshunds to be spawn of satan. Pure evil, awful little creatures

Whole heartedly agree! It is because of a daschund that I am nursing a busted up shoulder. I had one of my mom's push me off the couch and I hit my shoulder on the coffee table!

As for Pom's, if trained right, they can be the world's sweetest dogs but if left to their own devices, they can Holy terrors! It all depends in how much time you out into their training, really.

Awww...Serena, I love your poms...and the kids are getting so big!!

I think that Pomeranians are adorable, but I have a really high tolerance for yappy little dogs with the five chihuhua pups (chihuahua mixes, mostly) here.

Kim...go ahead and adopt the pup you want. :p

Is that a bi-colored pom? I've never seen one like that!
Yeah she is a lavender parti pom. Her daughter is a lavender(my favorite color!). There is actually tri-colored poms. You can get them where they are white, black and tan. Or there is blue merle poms too. Everyone always thinks they are yappy dogs. But it really depends on how they are raised, imo.

I recently took in a pom for a couple weeks till he found a good home, and he was anything but yappy. He wouldn't bark when people would bang at our door(unlike my girls.), and he would just sit on our doorstep and watch people walk by during the day(we have a dog park in the front of our place, so he got to see alot of people and dogs.). Really quiet boy.

He really broke my heart, because he was always hugging my arm or leg with his front paws, and knowing what his home life had been like before I took him in (he had not been fed for four days, and was shut up in a closet.), I had a hard time saying goodbye when he went to a new home. I am so glad they are so happy with him, though, and if there was a perfect pom, it is him, imo. He looked like a little teddy bear, and I did beg my husband if we could just keep him, but he said no. Two is enough, no more, LOL. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC07757.JPG
    DSC07757.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC07754.JPG
    DSC07754.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 98
I sometimes think little dogs get snippy when they are pampered too much. If they're carried around a lot and 'protected' because they are little, I think it makes them a little timid and possibly become fear biters. I also think if they aren't given any rules, they become 'dominant' and may bite. I like my little dogs, a pug and a papillon. I'm telling you, though, I doubt ANY small dog can be as yappy as my papillon. I'll bet she thinks her name is "QUIET". Fortunately, she stops barking when I say "QUIET"............until the next fly or leave blows by. *sigh*

hahah thanks everyone for the feedback! Like I figured, it really just depends on how the dog is raised. The good thing about this puppy is he IS still a puppy, so if I were to get him I could raise him completely. He was rescued from a puppy mill and is in a foster home right now. I also agree though, chi's are little devils! I've never met a nice one. Serena, your poms are so adorable! I love the pic of your kids with the one. And that little boy really does look like a teddy bear. Here's the little boy that is at the rescue, I spent all last night and this morning trying to convince my parents! My mom says yes, my dad says no. We'll see if I can change that ;)

nj376170459491x.jpg

nj376170459492x.jpg

I think because toy dogs ARE so small, everyone looks to them like the jolly green giant and maybe they ARE easily hurt because of their size. If I felt like someone 100 times my size was going to grab me roughly or cause me pain whenever they came near me, you can bet I would get snippy too. This is not to say they should be spoiled rotten but their size needs to be respected. This is why I really don't think they should be in households will small children who are clumsy and rough.

All the poms in this thread are adorable. I've always been enamored with the little guys even though they can be barky. They can be very jolly little guys. Little dogs are often labled "yappy" but I can tell you I been around enough loud german shepherds and other large breeds that nearly drove me batty with their barking. There are good and bad representations of any breed.

Surprisingly when I worked in an animal hospital, it was the dachshund breed that I fell in love with. I love their toughness, spunk and sense of humor.

I think chi's are fine, but when it comes to being groomed... they aren't properly socialized. Usually they don't come in until they're about 2 years old... there is some truth to not teaching old dogs new tricks!

I have a friend that has two poms, they are both pretty well behaved. The male is a total sweetheart and very loving, he's pretty quiet most of the time. He likes to just lay around and he's so laid back. He's fairly good with kids, but of course doesnt like to be played roughly with. He yips a little with grooming, but he's not terrible (I groom him). The female she's a little different, she's still a sweetheart but she is more yippy, she doesn't care a lot for grooming but is still pretty good as well (I groom her too). She actually likes wearing clothes, but also doesn't like rough play, but what small dog dog does? A lot of big dogs even don't.

Personally I prefer medium sized dogs or bigger, but a lot of the way small dogs are is because people do baby them, they carry them everywhere, they don't introduce them to people and other dogs when pups, they don't walk them, all of that contributes to it as well as people letting them get away with everything, like jumping all over people. If you socialize any small dog right and dont treat them like a baby, they can grow up to be some really nice dogs. Good luck if you adopt the little cutie!

Oh, mygod. That pup is so cute!! If you don't adopt it I may drive to New Jersey myself to get it. :heart4:

hahah isn't he?! I really want to, I'm hoping I can change my dad's mind. He looks like such a sweetie. If I do end up adopting him, I'll be sure to keep you updated on his progress. Hopefully I'm able to do a good job and not make him a yappy spoiled little pom! ;)

Honestly, it depends on how they were raised as others have said. Mine isn't mean at all, but he drives me crazy because all he does all day is spin in circles and bark. He's pretty, but nothing more than looks. Here he is with his lion cut.

I've grown up with poms. My mom at one point had 12 (she's crazy). We've had rescues and ones from breeders. My cousin and uncle show them (as have I). I also used to groom with my cousin and I can honsetly say that they are very sweet dogs. They bark ALOT but they are some of the sweetest dogs ever. You should make sure to get one from a breeder and not a store becasue you never know how it's been treated. However, I hate little dogs. All they do is yap. I love pomeranians and they are just so sweet, and sometimes you come across some that are quiet, but I will never have one. I'm more of a big dog person. One thing is if you don't groom them often, when you try to they will get scared (or hurt because the get mats easy). They are good dogs, just not when your crazy family is obessed with them and has a herd that like to bark all the time. :)

my grandma got one from a shelter a few years ago and he was the sweetest thing ever. sadly he died a few months ago cuz he got a rawhide stuck in his intestine. by the way dont ever give your dogs rawhides. they chew peices off them and they expand when in their digestive system which can make them sick. vets can get them out with surgery but he wouldnt have survived the surgery becuz he was super old. (she got him when he was about 10 so he was more than 10 years old)

I don't have any pom horror stories, but I do believe Dachshunds to be spawn of satan. Pure evil, awful little creatures.

nah ah! we have a dachshund and shes the sweetest thing! we found her half dead in a wallgreens parking lot and have raised her since. shes hilarious! she has more facial expressions then any dog i have ever met. she doesnt have a mean bone in her body. she never growls, fights, or even show her teeth. not even when shes playing with the other dogs! everyone loves her and wants to take her home. (not that that will ever happen :thumbsup: )

I know this is old but I can't resist.

I don't think they are evil. I think mines the sweetest thing. Lol

For three years (roughly) he suffered separation anxiety, which medicating didn't really help. He was a tapper and that was my biggest complaint, we finally got a citronella collar, which works wonderfully..

He doesn't like strange men.....but most dogs I know don't lol.

Just learned this: one of my neighbors has a Pom that visits nursing homes as a therapy dog. She's little enough to get onto the bed with frail people and not hurt them and loves to cuddle on shoulders/pillows. Apparently she gets sad if she doesn't do a visit at least once a week. She's also a B-word on wheels when there's a squirrel around, though, so I guess it just depends on the setting/mood for some dogs? :)

Latest posts

Back