Ok, so i almost killed my friend

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think pot is poisoness. Your chins will be fine. It is less harmful than cigarette smoke, especially second hand. Just don't expose them anymore and they will not have any issues come from this at all. Don't worry, they are fine.

The smoke can be toxic to animals, especially small ones. Do a google search on toxicity and you will find many reputable sites that state it. I will not post links since this is a family site. Think about it, tiny 1 lb chin getting a blast of a lungs full of smoke from a 150 lb human who knows how many times and with the increased respiration rate a chin has compared to a human how much did the chins "inhale".

Yeah, but if you saw me, you would never mistake me as a pothead! LOL I'm wayyyy too boring for that...and I drive a wagon. :) They'd believe me...sadly, they'd believe the story about the cage and the supplies being stinky.

HAHAHA! Sorry - I hope you didn't interpret me saying "moron" towards you also. I went back and reread that and thought it could be taken both ways. I meant the pot smoking friend. ;)

Oh I know! And, even if you did call me a moron, I am sure that I have had tons of moronic episodes where it would apply...it's all part of being human, after all.

The smoke can be toxic to animals, especially small ones. Do a google search on toxicity and you will find many reputable sites that state it. I will not post links since this is a family site. Think about it, tiny 1 lb chin getting a blast of a lungs full of smoke from a 150 lb human who knows how many times and with the increased respiration rate a chin has compared to a human how much did the chins "inhale".

I AGREE 100%!! In no uncertain terms it is NOT alright to smoke pot or really anything else around the chins. It isn't funny and it isn't cute. I never want for someone to read this thread or any other on this forum and think that it is okay to blow marijuana smoke in a chin's face. It isn't okay to do even just once...it is wrong and sort of borderline animal abuse.

I remember my brother's friends laughing about doing things like that. It always made me feel sick. Our animals are so trusting and we should never compromise their health with something as immensely stupid as trying to get them high.

People can smoke pot by choice, pets cannot make that choice and I agree its cruelty to animals to think its OK even once. It takes one time to kill and that is one time too many.

It's cruelty even if it is or is not toxic. Can you imagine a poor animal not knowing what is going on if it is high (assuming it effects them).

I would rethink the friends you have, and more importantly the friends who you leave inside your home. To smoke (pot, or anything) in a home without asking is downright rude.

I completely agree! And usually my friends aren't stupid enough to do things like that. Obviously he's smoked so much he's retarded now. And I meant my husband smokes cigarettes sometimes, but not around me or the babies. As I said, there is no smoking ANYTHING in my house. On the other hand, I'm glad he decided to smoke it and blow it in their face instead of feeding it to them. I'd have never known. Mostly I wish he would have been smart and not done it at all.

I guess it would depend on how much the chin actually inhaled. I really don't think one time exposure will be harmful, especially if the room was cleared of any residual smoke. I've had friends smoke pot and cigarettes around small birds who are extremely sensitive to smoke. These people were very neglectful of their pets and very ignorant. But my hubby works in Homeland Security and deals with pot daily and I did ask him before I made my comment and he was not worried about any ill effects from the smoke. Most of it probably didn't make it to the chin. Second hand is even less harmful than inhaling it directly from the source. I will check out your links, but I think Megan's chin will be ok in this instance, especially if she keeps these friends out of her house. It is not ok to smoke anything around our animals, it is very irresponsible. But someone offered the advice of calling her vet to be sure, and if she is in any doubt, I think that is a good suggestion.

ETA - you didn't provide a link (duh!) but I will google it, even though it really isn't important info to me since I have no one who smokes anything in my home.

they're acting fine now, they calmed down after all the drama was over. my thing is you shouldnt smoke anything around kids and babies cause of all the harmful things it can do and chins are like less than a tenth of the weight of a healthy newborn and about a tenth of the size. thats why i was freaking out, besides, there are so many things that are toxic to them that arent to other animals. i mean dogs can chew on any kind of wood, but alot of woods are toxic to chins.

I will go on a limb and say they are going to be fine. what your friend did was very disrespectful, But I worked in a nueroscience lab for several years during college and they did drug studies using rodents. Your chinchillas should be fine and chances are they inhaled very little with only a few puffs

Ooohkay... Disclaimer: I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I got curious on the subject and did a bit of research.

According to one veterinary website, the minimum reported oral lethal dose of THC was >3g. Marijuana usually contains between 1% and 5% THC, meaning 60g to 300g. That's 2 to 10 ounces, give or take. Hashish was reported as ~10%, meaning 30g (over an ounce of hashish). Given the wide variation of sizes of dogs, and this being a minimum reported oral lethal dose, that's a LOT. I can only imagine a larger dog would have a much harder time overdosing to that point.

I have known people with pets that did enjoy either stealing their stash or smoking it with them. I'm not advocating this, I'm just saying that these dogs went out of their way to do so. I know someone with a toy chihuahua that was a habitual marijuana thief. He would sneak around, out of sight, hop up on the couch to the table, grab it and run. This dog weighed less than a pound, and probably stole up to a sizable portion of his body weight on one occasion. He loved it. I'm mentioning this because I've seen the same logic applied to animals as applies to humans - if given the option many will make a choice. I had another friend who's dog, if he smelled smoke, would make his way to the living room and calmly sit down and wait his turn. He'd snuggle up to his owner, wait for one hit, then go lay down across the room with a huge grin on his face. I'd hardly view that as force or coercion.

Another fact I found while researching this was articles referencing that inducing vomiting is difficult after 30 minutes, due to the medicinal properties of marijuana preventing the vomiting. This is a drug that the government claims has no medicinal purposes, yet here are PhDs trying to fight against this medicinal purpose. Ironic, no?

I have also heard of someone giving stems to a small fuzzy as a chewing item. This I am thoroughly against - as ingestion seems to be the only way to OD to the point of death. As well, especially in the case of chinchillas, it's true that the hind gut fermentation is so easily disturbed, it's a chance never worth taking.

Where I am going with this is that it effects animals differently just as it affects people differently. Some people love it. Some people get nervous and jittery. If given the option some pets seem to enjoy it, others (and I have seen this too) will simply back away, leave the room, or by simple mannerisms decline the offer. Humans have a choice (just not legally) and some animals make that choice too.

And I'm done playing devil's advocate. :D I am NOT suggesting anyone go and get their dog high, much less their small fuzzies, but I figured I would stir up what was otherwise a rather one-sided discussion. :)

I'm going to go hide now until the dust clears. ;)

That's fine! :) But, don't ever give anyone the impression that it's safe or alright to do it. The more wiggle room you give people, the more they will do things..

Marijuana does have medicinal purposes...and it really ought to possibly be used for only that.

Pot makes people stupid. Or, so it seems with people that I have known that smoke it on a regular basis.

That's fine! :) But, don't ever give anyone the impression that it's safe or alright to do it. The more wiggle room you give people, the more they will do things..

Marijuana does have medicinal purposes...and it really ought to possibly be used for only that.

Pot makes people stupid. Or, so it seems with people that I have known that smoke it on a regular basis.

I used to live in CT where pot is very illegal and now live in CA where everyday I see people walk down the street with a blunt in their hand-so this topic kinda made me think. I think it's less about the personal choice to enjoy or not enjoy pot, cigs or anything else for that matter-but respecting the animals regardless. My neighbors smoke pot and cigs daily, and they know that when I have my bedroom windows open (where the chins are) to not smoke anything near the windows. I used to smoke cigarettes and my friends smoke pot but would never think of smoking in my house. As for that matter, if anyone even walked in my house with a lit cigarette I would chop them into pieces.

My old friend Ed used to smoke with his dog in the room or give him beer, but I think it's just wrong.

Yes the animal enjoyed it-and "made the choice" to drink the beer, but it's different from a person making the choice. We know the pros and cons, we know the side affects and the health issues that can come from smoking or drinking etc. A dog only knows, "yum, this tastes good." My dog Maggie would eat out of the litter box daily if she could, doesn't mean I'd let her make the choice for herself.

Because animals cannot understand every sense of their actions, they need a mature responsible adult to help them be safe and healthy...:thumbsup:

Yes the animal enjoyed it-and "made the choice" to drink the beer, but it's different from a person making the choice. We know the pros and cons, we know the side affects and the health issues that can come from smoking or drinking etc. A dog only knows, "yum, this tastes good." My dog Maggie would eat out of the litter box daily if she could, doesn't mean I'd let her make the choice for herself.

Very good points. :) At that point it comes down to the human's decision on whether he thinks the effects are worth the side-effects. Perhaps someone trying to help a stressed out hyper little border collie relax for a bit might be a better thing than someone just getting their labrador drunk.

Very good points. :) At that point it comes down to the human's decision on whether he thinks the effects are worth the side-effects. Perhaps someone trying to help a stressed out hyper little border collie relax for a bit might be a better thing than someone just getting their labrador drunk.

Are you for real? Help a stressed out border collie by giving it illegal drugs? I'm sorry but there are other, more appropriate ways of dealing with animals behaviors than giving them mind altering drugs.

And as for the people who actively give their animals drugs because the animal seems to enjoy it, that's just disgusting. Humans have reason, it's a choice to actively seek out an illegal drug and use it. But an animal does not have the reason to see the side effects. It's just going based on an experience from the drug.

I know you aren't saying you do this to your animals, but even if you're saying that the chin isn't going to die from inhaling a bit of pot, I'm going to continue to say that it isn't safe. I don't believe it's safe for recreation use in humans either. Inhaling things, no matter what the drug content, is not good for you.

I know you aren't saying you do this to your animals, but even if you're saying that the chin isn't going to die from inhaling a bit of pot, I'm going to continue to say that it isn't safe. I don't believe it's safe for recreation use in humans either. Inhaling things, no matter what the drug content, is not good for you.

Yeah, I should probably clarify.... I have no experience with chins and marijuana. I'm NOT saying that it won't have a fatal effect, nor that it will. I simply do not know. So please, kids, don't try this at home.

Posted this Monday by EnslavedByNinjas
Chins and new Dog - what precautions to take?
Well, long story short my roommate recently rescued a black lab mix. He was dropped in our lap with little to no notice.

Well it certainly sounds to me like your new dog got drunk! And you see no reason not to get him high as well!

I did NOT get the dog drunk. I used labrador in that context because they're larger dogs, and in later years MUCH calmer than border collies. I picked the breed due to that, and because (for obvious reasons) the breed is on my mind at the moment.

So perhaps I should clarify, that was purely hypothetical. JJ is enough trouble as it is, I don't need him running around drunk at 3AM. :D

So perhaps I should clarify, that was purely hypothetical. JJ is enough trouble as it is, I don't need him running around drunk at 3AM.

I was thinking the same thing about my little doggies. Drunk chihuahuas would just be sad, not even cute in the slightest, just sad.

My dad told us a few times about how his black lab got drunk sort of on accident when he was having a get together at our house. He never did that again. Giving animals things that alter their sense of perception or makes them dizzy isn't a good idea, it probably is really scary for them to feel that way.

My dad's poor dog I believe ended up getting sick and throwing up...

Back