My New Baby!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

I test + for CHINITIS!
Meet Ryleigh! She's a 14 week old Sphynx kitten.

ryleigh.jpg

ryleigh3.jpg

ryleigh2.jpg

She has an eye infection and has been taking meds for it since Tuesday. Her eyes look much better than in the pictures.

She is very cute, in an odd sort of way! She looks like she has a great personality!

:unsure: naked animals always kind of scare me personally..

But congrats on the new kitty! I'm sure she's really sweet!

Aww, poor widdle kitty is a fur chewer LOL. She looks very sweet, I bet they are a loyal breed. I like looking at the pattern on her skin. Do you know why their ears are so big?

I hate you for the simple fact that you are her owner and I'm not. :p I want one sooooooooooooo bad.

She's beautiful. Treat her like the goddess she is.

Lol I'd prefer a naked rat to a naked cat, I prefer my purrballs with fur, but congrats none the less!

How do you keep her warm? I never thought about that. Do they require any special care?

Thank you for all the compliments! I'm very in love with her! She has a very sweet personality, loves to cuddle, and comes when we call her.

How do you keep her warm??

I have a heating pad on the end of my couch with a blanket covering it for her. She seeks out heat, and likes to get behind the blinds next to the window where it is warm. I have a chihuahua that loves to get under blankets and such, and now, usually you can find a chihuahua and cat under the blankets.

Do you know why their ears are so big?

I don't think there is a reason for this... I related it to fact that they have no hair around their ears and that makes them look big. Their tails also seem very long.

Do they require any special care?

Yes. They need weekly baths, and ear cleanings, as they do not have hair to absorb oils, and no hair in or around their ears to keep dirt out of them. They are stictly indoor cats because they have no hair, and would sunburn in the sun. They also eat more than a regular cat because they have a higher metabolism.

Congratulations! What an exotic Goddess you have!

I always wondered what it would feel like to pet a hairless cat...I've always imagined it was their soft fur that makes us want to pet them. I'm sure they love the same amount of human affection but just seems weird to pet and carry them without the fur. I'm sure if I met one I would fall instantly in love, though!

Also, do these cats groom themselves to the same extent of furry cats? They don't have the hair to groom, but do they condition their skin at all? - I'm thinking rough tongue, sensitive skin...hey, at least no hairballs!

It seems to me as well, that they would have smaller ears to keep some of their heat from escaping...Do they get as chilled as chihuahuas seem to get?

Congratulations! What an exotic Goddess you have!

I always wondered what it would feel like to pet a hairless cat...I've always imagined it was their soft fur that makes us want to pet them. I'm sure they love the same amount of human affection but just seems weird to pet and carry them without the fur. I'm sure if I met one I would fall instantly in love, though!

Also, do these cats groom themselves to the same extent of furry cats? They don't have the hair to groom, but do they condition their skin at all? - I'm thinking rough tongue, sensitive skin...hey, at least no hairballs!

It seems to me as well, that they would have smaller ears to keep some of their heat from escaping...Do they get as chilled as chihuahuas seem to get?

Her skin feels like a warm, soft peach... just with wrinkles! She grooms herself, especially if something is on her skin, if the dog touches her, and after I put medicine in her eyes (she has an eye infection right now). There's no hairballs or shedding, but my collie makes up for that! :) She gets chilled just like my chihuahua. She even shivers.

awwww what a cutie!! I've always wanted to pet one to see how it feels (have regular kitties at home).

I don't think there is a reason for this... I related it to fact that they have no hair around their ears and that makes them look big. Their tails also seem very long.

I am going to make a guess here...the name Sphinx cat leads me to believe they originated in the desert. Desert foxes have big ears because it helps them release excess body heat, since they can't perspire. So maybe the sphinx cats' ears would serve the same purpose? Of course, that would make her pretty ill-suited for cooler climates..good thing she has that chihuahua to cuddle with ;)

Congrats on your kitty! Sphynx cats are awesome and very affectionate! I love them in the winter because they become portable heaters.:hug2:

I am going to make a guess here...the name Sphinx cat leads me to believe they originated in the desert. Desert foxes have big ears because it helps them release excess body heat, since they can't perspire. So maybe the sphinx cats' ears would serve the same purpose? Of course, that would make her pretty ill-suited for cooler climates..good thing she has that chihuahua to cuddle with ;)

They're actually a mutation from a regular domestic short-haired cat.:thumbsup: I'm pretty sure it originated from someone in North America as well but don't quote me on that, lol.

Sphynx have hair but it's very very short. Like Christie said...it's like peach fuzz. They're actually very soft and it's not like petting a wrinkly bald body. If you ever get the chance...petting a Sphynx is like nothing else...I recommend everyone do it at least once in their lives.;)

Back