Michael Vick wants a dog.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although he has really made a positive recovery, and is going to win the nfl mvp, i believe you cant take the chance and give this man a dog, not a chacne in ****

It doesn't matter anyways. I just did some more research and the court said that he would never be allowed to own another dog. Maybe my mind will change with more research. But I do respect the old dog man! Because without them we wouldn't have the Pit Bull! BUT LIKE I SAID IMPO!

The

My ex went to college with Vick and as they were both athletes and both owned dogs they hung out a bit. My ex told me when this whole thing came out that he remembered Vicks dogs as very sweet and well taken care of. Clearly he had his Pet dogs and then his fighting dogs and they were treated very differently.

I cannot forgive the fighting (more so the abuse to get them willing to fight) and I don't think he should be allowed to own another animal. Owning an animal is a privileged and not a right. Vick agreed to give up this privilege when he took his plea deal. Now he has to just deal with it. The things he did to those dogs, something is missing in his morals and values and I do not think that can be fixed. If someone completely lacks empathy for an innocent animal, it isn't just going to someday show up in their character.

I have read the recently released book "Lost Dogs" about the whole investigation. It was heartbreaking to read. But it was a good look into what happened and how terrible things were, but also the great outpouring of support from animal rescue groups and animal lovers. It is sad to know though that some of his dogs will live out their lives not ever having a forever home and forever family. The rescues they are going to be with forever though are very nice places though, like Dog Town. I am very happy some of the dogs were able to be rehabilitated and do have new families.

Its different, Murderer's get put away! People who abuse animals and fight them are in prison for a couple months to a year and have to pay a certain amount of cash for the deed they did. Obviously he was giving a probation and can't have a animal until after it is up. Until the law changes thats how it is. In my personal opinion, I think that if you abuse and animal you should have you kids tooken away and you shouldn't be allowed to have pets again. But I can see Vick changing in my head! Only because kids look up to him. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. But I'm hoping he will.

I don't like what he did either, But theres nothing anyone can do about it until the law changes. The reputable breeders of pit bulls won't even give him a shot at buying one of their dogs. But BYB's will because they just want the money. I can see shelters doing it too, Only because so many of them are so over crowded.

How old are you Milo? It is TAKEN not TOOKEN. And as Stacie said, many celebreties are looked up to by children, but don't change. He's only doing what he is doing for the free positive publicity to try and clear his name.

And frankly, if he treats 'pet' dogs with humanity, then that makes this situation even more sickening because there shouldn't be that line. All dogs deserve the same respect and care. Even working dogs raised by GOOD owners aren't treated the way Vick treated his 'money makers'.

I don't know a ton about the Vick case, but I do know the basics. There are a ton of dogs in shelters that need good homes. With all the media and everything else, I can not see Vick going back to dog fighting.

Yes, I know he said if he hadn't been caught he'd still be doing it, however, my theory is (and may be completely wrong) that dog fighting is an addiction, just like drugs and other things. If I were a coke addict, I am not going to stop unless I get caught either.

I'm not trying to defend him or make what he did right, but if he does genuinely want to change, then why stop him? Like I said, there would be way to many people watching him for him to even be able to do it again.

Erin, on your theory, if it is an addiction then he should stay as far away from the source as possible. Coke addicts have to stay away from coke. Alcoholics shouldn't be given alcohol. The list goes on. You don't supply an addict with a source for their addiction.

And Milo, if that is the case please start speaking correctly. Just because it's online is no excuse. Yeah, it's picky, but that is a pet peeve...

There is no way he should ever have a dog.

The only way that he would have EVER regreted it is if it had ruined his career or something similar to that. Any one who can willingly torture animals like that obviously has no regret, has no empathy, has no conscious. They are not going to change. More than likely he's trying to get people to think that he's such a sweet person to face his demons and get animals again for his daughters. First it'll start out as one dog and then there will be ten and twenty and all along the way there will be dead animals.

We had a pit bull who had ran away from her owner, she was forced into breeding and was used for fighting. The guy had the nerve to come back and ask us for her back when there was obvious abuse and neglect. We asked him what he wanted her for and he striaght up told us. We called the cops and unfortnuantly we were only able to save her not her puppies or any of the others.

It's all a show for celebrities.

Erin I know what you mean about there being too many people watching him now. I truly deep down in my heart and soul never want to see that man have another dog again. As I posted on facebook, he betrayed man's best friend, he doesn't deserve the love and loyalty they give.

I also can see it from the PR perspective too. A lot of it being getting people to like Vick. If he were to ever get another dog, personally I want to see him get in the kennel with some of his former fighters who cannot be adopted. Heck I want him to come see my abused pit mix. She had to raise her puppies in a shelter cuz someone just dumped her. She is petrified of strangers and loud noises. If my boyfriend who has a deep voice to begin with raises it at the other dog (who can be a trouble maker) out of frustration with him, she bolts. I want him to see how bad an abused pit acts. How much pain you see in their faces and I want his behind to cry like a baby when he sees how petrified and psychologically hurt an abused pit can be.

It could also lead to good press about rescuing a pit if he gets another dog. It better be altered and it better be from a shelter or a rescue. It could mean people might rethink a bit. Maybe it might stop another kid from getting into the fight ring seeing a former fighter realize they should just be pets. I can see some good in it, but at the same time I'd also be disgusted at him.

I hate that he generally is working in my state. I hate that while one of my best friends is in Iraq I am cheering against his team because I cannot cheer on an animal abuser in the least bit. And even more I hate myself a bit for being able to see the opportunity that could be had by Vick adopting a pit bull cuz sadly the pits have such a hard enough time getting loving homes and I will do whatever I can to help them. They are the pet animal that needs the most help than any other. Too many are abused and too many more wonderful ones are euthanize daily because too many ignorant people have them for the wrong reasons and breed them for no real reason other than money or even worse, fighting.

So no I don't ever want him to have another dog again cuz he isn't really sorry for what he did to those dogs, but maybe he just might be able to help others avoid the same fate of his own dogs by having another one.

. You don't supply an addict with a source for their addiction.

This is a very good point.

While I don't want him to own another dog or animal of any sort, I do think he should be given a chance to show remorse and be forgiven. (That doesn't necessarily mean by owning a dog)

This whole thing with Micheal Vick does make me question how many other NFL Athletes are involved in dog fighting?

I dont think you need to look at the NFL players as dog fighters. But all of society as a whole. How many more are out there in general.

Dog fighting in my town is terrible, there was a dog at the humane society here that had been meant to fight, but she was deaf. He would tie tires to their legs and make them run down the highway. It's horrible. But they don't have any hard evidence. It's depressing.

Erin- I was thinking the goldfish route :p

Latest posts

Back