is Varg really a brown velvet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nervousings

his breeder told me hes a brown velvet... im having second thoughts. sorry for the quality.. its hard to get a picture of him without flash! also included is his leakey eye... it gets watery after dustbaths and then stops. i took him to the vet and he said that some of his hair grows inward, toward his eye so the dust gets in it easy... i guess that makes sense ? nothing bad was found on an exray.

oops... here are the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 122
thats what i thought... a beige. his mom was a beige and his dad was an ebony. so.... that makes him a beige??

I am in LA area and am curious what is the name of the breeder you bought him from?

his name is roy or "lou"... he is in the agoura hills area.

edited because i said Ray

Last edited:
Ah poo. I realize now that it didn't give me the link for the results, just for the color calculator itself. Oh well. You just have to do your own work. :p

I've seen his CL ads before. Did you specifically ask for a brown velvet when you purchased your chin?

no, i called him looking for a young male, and he said he had 2 standards, and one "beautiful tan color that you have never seen before", and when i got there he told me he believes he is a brown velvet... im perfectly happy with him being a beige, i just didnt want to sound uneducated. and, i actually got reffered to him from a person who works at petco, who gets all of his chins from him.

"beautiful tan color that you have never seen before"

Bahahahahahaha!

Why is it these backyard breeders think any mutation at all is something no one has ever seen?

Edit: Not asking you specifically, just saying in general.

Last edited:
If the breeder didn't know the real name for his color, I'd have to say that he's not the best breeder.

He doesn't have the veiling of a brown velvet. And besides, a brown velvet would come out of a beige and black velvet pairing.

And, a tan would not have a white belly. Although a tan can occur from a beige and ebony pairing.

Bahahahahahaha!

Why is it these backyard breeders think any mutation at all is something no one has ever seen?

Edit: Not asking you specifically, just saying in general.

hahahaa i thought it was kinda weird too. and the area he had them all in was REALLY smelly... so im glad he has a giant cage now, and lots of love and attention :kiss:

If the breeder didn't know the real name for his color, I'd have to say that he's not the best breeder.

He doesn't have the veiling of a brown velvet. And besides, a brown velvet would come out of a beige and black velvet pairing.

And, a tan would not have a white belly. Although a tan can occur from a beige and ebony pairing.

yeah, im just glad hes mine! i was also a little weirded out at the leakey eye... i didnt really believe him, but after the vet, i felt alot better.

also.. would he be a homo beige? sorry for the bombardment of questions....

No, he wouldn't be a homo beige. In order for that to occur, both parents would have to have beige. Beige x TOV beige, beige x beige, beige x PW, beige x tan. He's just a plain, but lovely, beige. :)

Back