is Varg really a brown velvet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes Walgreens has it. I don't think that CVS usually has it. Walmart always has it - they tend to have the same products in every single store. I bet you could order it somewhere online. Or, you can try the cream with tolnaftate in it - sometimes the cream works faster. Or, the Blu kote. As long as you treat it with something that has a fairly effective antifungal it will go away. :) I don't know about the lotrimin though...I've never had to use it before.

Sometimes Walgreens has it. I don't think that CVS usually has it. Walmart always has it - they tend to have the same products in every single store. I bet you could order it somewhere online. Or, you can try the cream with tolnaftate in it - sometimes the cream works faster. Or, the Blu kote. As long as you treat it with something that has a fairly effective antifungal it will go away. :) I don't know about the lotrimin though...I've never had to use it before.

ive called them all.. and the wal-mart is just not doable today... with traffic itll take me a good 3 hours to get from work to wallyworld to home.
walgreens only has lotrimin powder, so im just gonna read the ingredients and hopefully give it a go. blu-kote is being picked up tomorrow from a feed store up in the valley.
i would really wanna try the cream... but with it being so close to his eye, i feel like i wont even be able to get any on it, let alone rub it in. hes a hyper one, and really not used to being held still. i think the dustbath will be the easiest way to administer it.

ugh... the fungus scrape came back negative.. .i know someone said it normally shows up negative, but now after reading so much about ringworm, i know that it is supposed to be dry and scaley.. his is always wet.. maybe its a different kind of fungus? UGH!!!!!!!!

Like I said I have never seen a positive fungal culture..yet it still was fungus. I've worked in the vet field for 9 yrs. Treat it as if it is.

I have used lotriman cream with success.

Jessica

Like I said I have never seen a positive fungal culture..yet it still was fungus. I've worked in the vet field for 9 yrs. Treat it as if it is.

I have used lotriman cream with success.

Jessica

ok awesome. thank you for your help... youve never tried lotrimin powder though?

Not sure if this helps at all but....

About the eye thing, I had a similar problem with my mother's chinchilla. At first we freaked thinking fungus, conjunctivitus, etc. Took him to the vet, got eye drops......it cleared up somewhat. Then it happened again. Got eye drops, repeat, etc. You get the point. The long story short is, after multiple vet visits and treatments...and some careful watching of his conditions, we concluded that our little buddy has.....a sensitive eye.

I know, it sounds weird. But one of his eyes (just one) would tear up under stressful conditions. Occasionally, a new hay or dust might make the fur look a little weird. He's quite settled into his home by now, but the fur around the eye never looked.....right. Not fungus, I've seen that in chins. It's definitely not an infection. One detail to this story that is important is that he is a white mosiac/violet. And quite the small midget boy at that. I wonder if weak genetics has something to do with his eye issue? He's quite fine now, going on 6 or 7 now I believe? And this is an issue that we've just come to accept as part of his cute charming personality.

Just thought I should share this story. Not saying you shouldn't get it checked out, and do pay close attention to his condition. But I wouldn't freak out and get upset about it. If it's a fungus/infection it can be dealt with. If its the chin, well...love that cute little fur ball just the same. Love the pics.

Latest posts

Back