is Varg really a brown velvet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that guy...he tried to get my to take all of his chinchillas once because he "didn't want them anymore". Looks like he's gotten back into breeding even more now. What a nut...

I remember that guy...he tried to get my to take all of his chinchillas once because he "didn't want them anymore". Looks like he's gotten back into breeding even more now. What a nut...

oh my gosh!! thats depressing. he was kinda weird... he gave me an alias over the phone... it was just a kind of different experience. needless to say, im glad my guy got me!

How old is he?
I've had brown velvets "take their time" getting dark, and were still looking like a beige @ a year old, then got the dark veiling!

How old is he?
I've had brown velvets "take their time" getting dark, and were still looking like a beige @ a year old, then got the dark veiling!

he is 4 months... funny enough we have the exact same birthday!!
im just very doubtful he is a bv because of the circle around his eye.. i thought they were completely veiled.

EDIT!!!
just found out his dad was a black velvet... i called to tell him that he isnt a brown velvet... just a beige.. and he STRONGLY disagreed with me. soooo... whats the verdict everyone? it doesnt matter to me either way. hahaha

His name is Roy. I'm surprise because he knows about chins.

yep!.. he is a very nice guy... seems VERY educated, and supplied me with a very large amount of food, dust, chews, and the like. he gets all of his products from local suppliers... but what did make me feel weird, was that instead of timothy hay, he was giving them all alfalfa because he lives by a horse ranch and gets it very cheap. his feed is mazuri, so i know it has enough alfalfa. i went to a store and got timothy hay right after we got home, and he threw ALL of the alfalfa out of his cage as if to say "this stuff sucks! give me more timothy!"

He is not a brown velvet..These are a brown velvet (Honey is about 4 months old in the first, 6 in the 2nd, 1 year in the third.)
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

And here is a baby brown velvet. They do not take over a year to develop...You would be able to identify them at birth normally here are some within the first few days....I have never had one "develop" into a brown velvet. You may have not recognised it as a brown velvet but like Black velvets the beginings of veiling are there. These are 2 different kits (superstition and Honey) from different litters, One is the female above
picture.php
picture.php

Beat me with a stick (and I know you will!) but he looks like a Tov homo beige or heavily bred homo beige.

That's what gives them the white eye rings and such... homo x homo beige pairings.

There is definitely something up with that eye more than dust. Wish you chould get better pictures.

Beat me with a stick (and I know you will!) but he looks like a Tov homo beige or heavily bred homo beige.

That's what gives them the white eye rings and such... homo x homo beige pairings.

isnt it bad to breed a mutation with a mutation?

There is definitely something up with that eye more than dust. Wish you chould get better pictures.

i thought so too, but he had a full exam and xrays, with no teeth problem. the vet wouldnt even give me eyedrops for it, because they werent necessary. he mentioned i could switch to sweet pdz (sp?) but it was not necessary. and within 2 days after dusting it looks completely normal.. i just use a sensitive baby wipe after he bathes, and it really helps alot too. are you thinking i should seek out a second opinion?

and i will get more close up pictures tonight, and post them tomorrow.... there is no discharge or any kind.. just water.

isnt it bad to breed a mutation with a mutation?
Depends on why you're doing it and what your goals are. While he is cute, if he is the result of a carefully planned breeding program I would say they're headed in the wrong direction.

are you thinking i should seek out a second opinion?
I enlarged it when I got home, it looks like it's the start of fungus. If it goes away, no worries. If it gets bigger you'll want to treat him for it. I'd just keep an eye on it and do what you are doing. :))

I enlarged it when I got home, it looks like it's the start of fungus. If it goes away, no worries. If it gets bigger you'll want to treat him for it. I'd just keep an eye on it and do what you are doing. :))

UGH!!!!! what do i do about that? does it require another vet visit... or blu-kote? ive never dealt with fungus before?!?!?!:cry3:

i feel bad for asking so many questions... but id rather be safe than sorry. is it possible it is fungus when the breeder told me hes had a waterey eye since hes been born? wouldnt it spread?

There is no possible way for that chinchilla to be homo beige unless the mother is beige and the father is a brown velvet. He doesn't appear to have a mask to me and he doesn't look light enough for a homo beige or smooth enough. He looks like a very light hetero beige. Can you get better pictures in natural lighting?

Also...I recommend you go to this veterinarian. If anyone can find the problem or provide you with the proper eye drops. This vet can do it. http://tomgreek.com/

There is no possible way for that chinchilla to be homo beige unless the mother is beige and the father is a brown velvet. He doesn't appear to have a mask to me and he doesn't look light enough for a homo beige or smooth enough. He looks like a very light hetero beige. Can you get better pictures in natural lighting?

Also...I recommend you go to this veterinarian. If anyone can find the problem or provide you with the proper eye drops. This vet can do it. http://tomgreek.com/

yes... i will try to get some tonight/tomorrow. i visited hancock park vet, that has extensive chin knowledge.... next payday i will take him to the vet you recommended. i hope hes good with the few hours in the car.

Latest posts

Back