is Varg really a brown velvet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you say that the vet said his hair was rubbing on his eye? That almost sounds like entropion. This where the the eyelashes grow inward and rub against the cornea, causing irritation and a thick, sticky discharge.

But do chins have eyelashes???

Well, the hair is growing inward, toward his eye but not touching his eye... And there hasn't been any discharge... I'm worried now :(

Actually, he does appear to have the veiling to me...he's also very light (as many mentioned)

I'm in full agreement with whoever said TOV Homo beige...I do indeed realize that both parents would need to have the beige gene (I'm pretty well versed on chin genetics, and genetics overall) BUT I'm also realize that this breeder sounds pretty unreliable regarding his knowledge of chinchilla color genetics.

I don't see any veiling at all, especially on the back..the top is the same color as the sides.

Yes, the breeder is unreliable...but you'd have to be really really dumb to confuse a beige for a black.

It would really help if we had clearer pictures in better lighting. I also agree there is something going on with the eye. I've never heard of the eyelashes growing into the eye on chins. It looks pretty irritated and with the fur loss, I'd definitely be getting him into the vet. It could either be fungus or infection, which both can get pretty bad if it's not treated.

Last edited:
i feel bad for asking so many questions... but id rather be safe than sorry. is it possible it is fungus when the breeder told me hes had a waterey eye since hes been born? wouldnt it spread?
Don't feel bad! Questions are good.

He may have had a watery eye since birth, but watery eye + new home could cause an outbreak. I was commenting on the lack of hair around the eye, the eye itself looks perfectly fine.

I would give him a few weeks before taking him to another vet yet, just watch him and let him settle. If it's fungus, the spot will get bigger and you can put some tinactin or sulfur in his dust. When you're dealing with it around the eyes/mouth don't use blue-kote.

It may be something as simple as an ingrown hair causing him to itch at his eye, causing both the baldness and wateriness. I highly doubt the breeder spent enough time watching him to find out.
I don't see any veiling at all, especially on the back..the top is the same color as the sides.
:D I can tell you've not run into many poor quality velvets. It was common to have one with a face mask and no veiling between the neck and the butt. I haven't seen one that bad in a few years but it wouldn't surprise me to find this guy has a few. The mask is in front of his ears, dropping down to his jaw - solid and dark. Also, with homo beiges the veiling is sometimes incomplete. It really wouldn't surprise me to find he has white in there too.

Last edited:
My teacher had what he called "Monkey Face" chinchillas. He didn't know a lot about genetics, but basically, they were blacks with just the veiling on their face and that was it, so the little guy could be a VERY poorly veiled brown velvet. I agree with getting pics in better lighting, and cut back on the dust baths a bit to see if that helps his eye clear up. If it's really dry there, you can get away with giving him 1-2 a week.

I've never heard of the eyelashes growing into the eye on chins.

I had never heard of it in rats either, but of course, it showed up here. If that's what it is, and a vet should be able to tell you that easily, it would be an entropion. I dealt with almost chronically (even after surgery) in my Chow Alex and I had a rat that developed it, also requiring surgery to correct. Again, that can be easily verified by checking with a vet. It's hard to miss.

As far as color, until you mentioned the parents, I would have suggested a homo beige. But with the pairing that you've mentioned, beige x black velvet, that's just not possible.

Actually, he does appear to have the veiling to me...he's also very light (as many mentioned)

I'm in full agreement with whoever said TOV Homo beige...I do indeed realize that both parents would need to have the beige gene (I'm pretty well versed on chin genetics, and genetics overall) BUT I'm also realize that this breeder sounds pretty unreliable regarding his knowledge of chinchilla color genetics.

you know, i looked at pictures, and he REALLY looks like that. they have the same rings around the eye, and almost the exact same coloring.

It would really help if we had clearer pictures in better lighting. I also agree there is something going on with the eye. I've never heard of the eyelashes growing into the eye on chins. It looks pretty irritated and with the fur loss, I'd definitely be getting him into the vet. It could either be fungus or infection, which both can get pretty bad if it's not treated.

i wasnt able to get any pictures tonight, he was too hyper in the bathroom (the only place i would be able to get natural light)... and i had to give him a dustbath... it had been 5 days and he was looking a little dirty.
from what i have seen, and ive looked very closely there isnt any hairloss... it might look that way in the pictures, but its just kind of matted down... not really matted, just dried a little more against his skin rather than puffing out. i have an appointment for next wednesday, with the recommended vet, and its a 3 hour total drive... im hoping he doesnt stress out.

I would give him a few weeks before taking him to another vet yet, just watch him and let him settle.

i made an appointment for a week and a half. it will be about 3 weeks after his first visit. and hes much more comfortable with his surroundings than last time.

It may be something as simple as an ingrown hair causing him to itch at his eye, causing both the baldness and wateriness. I highly doubt the breeder spent enough time watching him to find out.
i havent ever seen him stracth at it, but you never know what he does when mommys not watching :hair:

UPDATE! my husband actually got him to the vet this morning.. he immediately said its a fungus, and now im waiting for the scrape results to confirm... he asked him what i should do that will be cost effective for us, and he recommended 2 tbsp of tinactin to 1 cup of dust, and blu kote on the affected area. now, ive heard that i shouldnt use blu-kote directly around the eye, but he said to use a q-tip and use a VERY small amount. im torn.. i dont want it to get into his actual eyeball and hurt him. what would everyone else do? and when he said give him the tinactin and b.k. for 5 days, does that mean to dust him 5 days in a row, or for the next 5 baths?

and im also really upset that the breeder would sell me a chinchilla with fungus. i want to call him and tell him to cover the costs... but honestly its not even worth it to me now. im just really ticked off and feel so bad about this.

Oh man... By all means, call him. I'd want someone to call me and tell me if it were my chin, but I am weird like that.

i plan on it. he is just VERY set in his ways... i cant see it going well. it really disturbs me becuse he has at least 30 chins, and now i wonder how many are actually "fungusized"(haha). do you know if i should give him the tinactin bath every day for 5 days... or every few days for a total of 5 baths?

I personally would dust him with tinactin every two-three days for a couple of weeks. Probably would work out to be 5 treatments.

Don't be surprised if the skin scrape comes back negative. I've yet to see a positive result but it doesn't mean it is not fungus. Still treat him even if it comes back negative.

Your breeder is just looking for a quick buck. If you look for another chin in the future make sure you find someone reputable. If no breeders near you-try looking for a ranch.

Jessica

ok... thats what i thought, ill make sure to space it out. does it usually get worse before it gets better? i want to be mentally prepared...

and yes, if i ever look for another, i will most definitely take my time in searching for someone who cares for animals, and not money.

would you recommend using blu-kote so close to his eye?

The tinactin would knock it out...and you wouldn't have to worry so much about getting blue kote in his eye. Don't worry about the fungus, as long as you are treating it it'll go away. Sometimes it takes a little longer to completely die, but it will go away with Blue Kote or Tinactin. Every now and then someone comes down with it here...and as much of a worrier as I am, it never bothers me at all. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to treat...your little guy will be just fine! :)

Not all (bad) breeders are after money...there are those that take no time whatsoever to do any research and just don't care, as well! :D

The tinactin would knock it out...and you wouldn't have to worry so much about getting blue kote in his eye. Don't worry about the fungus, as long as you are treating it it'll go away. Sometimes it takes a little longer to completely die, but it will go away with Blue Kote or Tinactin. Every now and then someone comes down with it here...and as much of a worrier as I am, it never bothers me at all. It's fairly inexpensive and easy to treat...your little guy will be just fine! :)

Not all (bad) breeders are after money...there are those that take no time whatsoever to do any research and just don't care, as well! :D

youre right about the breeders... it seems like he really loves the chins... but just doesnt take enough time and effort to keep them healthy.

as far as tinactin.. i havent been able to find the powder anywhere.. but i have found some blu-kote. can i use only blu-kote to treat it?

You can find tinactin at Walmart in the pharmacy dept.

theres only one within a 25 mile radios from me... but they do have lotramin powder... im guessing its the same? anyone have experience with it?

Didn't know lotramin made a powder. You can try it.

To answer your question about spreading.. not likely. It may spread around on the chin but none of my pets or any other animal I've come into contact with has gotten it.

I have found in other species that fungus will get worse before it gets better. Just stay on top of it and it will go away. Make sure you wash your hands after you treat him. Fungus is ringworm and you can get it.

You can find tinactin in your local grocery store as well. Just look under foot powders to treat athlete's feet.

Best wishes
Jessica

Latest posts

Back