Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
I didn't want to believe it, but looks like the mill guy is right... Purina is no longer manufacturing PANR.

Looks like they're replacing it with "Purina Rabbt Chow Show" for a blue bag but with only 16% protien.

The 18% is now the Rabbit Chow Professional.

What I'm intrigued by is their newest feed, the Fibre3, it claims it has no corn. However at 15% protein I'm not sure how chins would do on it.

Opinions?

Traditionally I've been very unhappy with the amount of corn PANR has during certain seasons. I'll probably pick up a bag and give it a try seeing as I don't have much choice. May get the Pro too, since it's closest to what I'm feeding right now.

Hm, interesting I feed PANR, so it looks like I'll have to take the change too. However PANR Show has always been at 16% it's the PRO formula that is 18%.

PANR's analysis is this:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, not less than 16.0%
Crude Fat, not less than 3.5%
Crude Fiber, not less than 17.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than 20.4%
Calcium, not less than 0.7% 0.7%
Calcium, not more than 1.2% 1.2%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.4%
Salt, not less than 0.5%
Salt, not more than 1.0%
Vitamin A, not less than 4800 IU/lb

Where as the new Show formula is

Crude Protein (Min) 16.00%
Crude Fat (Min) 3.50%
Crude Fiber (Min) 18.50%
Crude Fiber (Max). 21.50%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 0.70%
Calcium (Ca) (Max) 1.20%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.40%
Salt (NaCl) (Min) 0.50%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) 1.00%
Vitamin A (Min) 4,800 IU/lb

The only difference between the two is a higher fiber minimum and maximum. I was under the impression that a higher fiber is good?

However PANR Show has always been at 16% it's the PRO formula that is 18%

Funny, the tag on my bag here (blue bag) says 18%. Doesn't surprise me though, they've not been consistent at all quality wise. Wonder if mine is actually 16% and marked incorrectly?

Hmm....

The only difference between the two is a higher fiber minimum and maximum. I was under the impression that a higher fiber is good?
Depends on what type of fiber it is, and where it is coming from.

I just looked at my bag and it says 16% as well. If the new feed is pretty much the same, but with a bit more fiber I am going to give it a shot. I can also get Mazuri locally, but I was not half as happy with it as I am the PANR.

Funny, the tag on my bag here (blue bag) says 18%. Doesn't surprise me though, they've not been consistent at all quality wise. Wonder if mine is actually 16% and marked incorrectly?

Hmm....

It must be 16%, I just went and got the tag off of my last bag, which was milled in late Oct, I keep the tags to keep the mill date, and mine says 16%. And it was in the blue/purple bag

Now here's a big difference, the new Show does not have corn either. I like that. :))

Still kind of a sudden change with no warning, that'll teach me to get down to the last 10lbs of feed before ordering..

Well that stinks... our boys have been doing so well on PANR. Hopefully our feed store will carry the new one, or we'll have to start ordering online...

Hopefully our feed store will carry the new one, or we'll have to start ordering online...

As long as they are a Purina dealer they will sell it, but it helps to get feed maybe 10 days before you need it because sometimes they have to order it. At no extra charge to you of course.
Thanks to the OP for the information

As long as they are a Purina dealer they will sell it, but it helps to get feed maybe 10 days before you need it because sometimes they have to order it. At no extra charge to you of course.
Thanks to the OP for the information

Does this apply to any place that deals purina feed? I have a Tractor Supply store near me and they sell purina feed, that would be great if I could order feed from there.

Hmm, looks like I need to switch too. :( At least I still have about 25lbs of PANR left.

So what is the new food that sort of "replaces" this one? I'm not sure I caught it in this thread.

I have a Tractor Supply store near me and they sell purina feed, that would be great if I could order feed from there.
I've been after the Tractor Supply here and they can't get it, claiming that corporate won't send them that product. Just have to ask around.

New Ingredients:

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Ground Oat Hulls, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, L-Lysine, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Copper Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

Old Ingredients:

Forage products (alfalfa), wheat midds, roughage products (oat or rice hulls), plant protein products, grain products, soybean oil, molasses products, calcium carbonate, salt, dicalcium phosphate, choline, chloride, DL-methionine, ferrous oxide, magnesium oxide, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D-3 supplement, zinc sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, papaya extract, protease, yeast culture, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried streptococcus faecium fermentation product, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried trichoderma viride fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtillis fermentation extract, yucca shidigera plant extract, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite

So it seems that the changes are:

New Added Ingredients:
Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Lignin Sulfonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation, manganese sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, copper chloride, monocalcium phosphate

Old Ingredients that have been left out:
Plant protein products, Grain products (maybe this standards for the soybean hulls, soybean meal and wheat flour), Magnesium oxide, calcium pantothenate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, papaya extract, protease, dried streptococcus faecium fermentation product, dried trichoderma viride fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtillis fermentation extract

I need to go out this weekend and get a new bag, as I'm almost out. I guess I'm going to have to buy whatever they have, because I really don't want to switch back to Mazuri.

The last bags of PANR I bought were different to the previous ones. It took my chins about a week before they really started eating it.

Thanks for the advanced notice Purina!...You think they would have put a notice on the bags or something saying they're going to be discontinuing the product and replace it with a new one. This may explain why the feed store was trying to sell me stuff milled in February (very ticked about that).

I'm glad I stocked up at Ronda's and still have a bag and a half.

It would great if the chins do well on Fibre3. They sell it in 7 lb packages so I could recommend it to pet owners. Just have to wait and see though.

The ingredient comparison above is for the new Show Formula, right? (not the Professional)

I like the no corn in the Show Formula. I'm not real thrilled about adding all these soybean parts...they were in it before, but it just seems like there's more now with the way the ingredients are listed.

Anyone who tries it, let us know what the chins think of it.

Thanks for posting Tara!

Back