Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for both links. even on the purina website i dont see where it says that they are discontinuing PANR, only that they are adding the PRCS & the Fibre3.
I am going to make sure I print a picture of the PRCS, so that when I go to my feed store I can get the right one.
If they have a bag of PANR left though I am going to grab it and then see what the consensus here is.
Crysta--I am hoping for a review from you since you are a huge advocate of PANR!

We will be transitioning everyone here from PANR to the Purina Rabbit Chow Show. If anyone needs more PANR to transition, I still have a full bag here, and will be offering it as well.

I will definitely give you my truthful opinion after using it for about a month. I don't hold my tongue. :p

I ordered a bag of the PRCS that will be here next week, so I will start the transition then and see how it goes.

PANR change

I talked to Essentia last night and she informed me of the change with the PANR. I was a little disheartened but....I called my feed supplier and she said that the only difference is... the new Rabbit Chow is more natural.
She didn't say how but fortunately she went ahead and ordered me a bag of the PANR and it is awaiting me to pick it up. ;) Yee Haw
The new stuff is basically the PANR revamped and supposedly made better.
Like the rest of you I willl have to wait and see.
Essentia if you need PANR I'm going to have a new bag in a couple of days let me know if you need any.
At least I know in plenty of advance so I can swith over gradually when the time comes.
Wish you all luck and I'll be checking to see how you all like the new version.:thumbsup:

I got my new bag today, had to switch cold turkey as they didn't have any old. It did not smell good, but my guys are doing so poorly on the old stuff this can't be much worse.

It did look greener, pellets looked correct and no little chunks of corn!

No, to my knowledge Manna Pro is its own brand, whereas PANR is one of Purina's rabbit feeds.

It'll be interesting to hear how the chins like the new formula... keep the updates coming!

Manna Pro is a different brand. I was given a bag of Manna Pro Sho by mistake once and decided to try it....the chins wouldn't touch it.

Just for future reference.

'Rabbit Chow Show' is the "new formula" not the 'Rabbit Chow Professional' right?

I freakin hate my feed store. I order the same thing every time, yet they order me the professional formula? This is the 4th time in a row I have had issues ordering feed.

Sorry ladies, you have to wait another week (if they get it right this time) to get my two cents about the new feed.

We got our shipment of PRCS in today, so the transition has begun. When I opened the new bag, I honestly could not tell the difference between the PANR and the PRCS. It looks the same, smells the same... So I decided to conduct my own chinnie taste test. No, not on me! lol! I put out 2 tablespoons of each feed in front of several chinchillas. Out of the 10 chinchillas I used, all 10 of them immediately went for the PRCS! So chinnie approved for the time being! I will monitor their weight and health to see if there are any other improvements on the PRCS that translate into chinnie improvement. But so far so good! I just have a bad feeling they will be picking out the PRCS to eat and leaving the PANR behind during the transition process...

Yeah, the equivalent of PANR would be the Purina Rabbit Chow Show (PRCS).

PANR was a term that could have used for both the Show and the Professional formula. The "PANR" Show formula came in a blue bag, while the "PANR" Professional formula came in a grey (I think) bag. PANR Show is now Rabbit Chow Show; PANR Professional is now Rabbit Chow Professional. I always felt that using the term "PANR" to describe the show formula exclusively was something of a misnomer and that it had the potential to confuse people who weren't aware that the Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit pellets came in two different formulas.

I went to pick up some new feed today. Not happy with the feed store (again...won't get into that). They didn't have the Show in stock. They did have the Fibre3 (only in 50 lb bags though...ok for me, but I was hoping they'd carry the 7 lb).

I went to another feed store to order the Show which should be in on Friday.

My plan is to switch half the herd (the non-breeders) to the Fibre3 to and the other half to the Show. We'll see who does better and see if I like the Fibre3 well enough to recommend it to new chin owners. I'll take notes and share with the rest of the class.

The Fibre3 was about $6 cheaper than the Show at store #1. Not sure what they're going to charge me at store #2, but I doubt its more than the $21 store #1 is charging for the Show.

Wow, my Show was $16 after LA taxes, which is close to 12% combined state and parish.

10% of mine are rail dumping the feeders, the rest are eating it, but not very fast. They're devouring the hay cubes at a blazing rate instead. ~sigh.

I'm glad I stocked up at Ronda's and still have a bag and a half.

Alison,

You won't have to worry about getting any of the old stuff any more - I got the last 43 bags. I wasn't taking any chances with the weather and screwing up my feed over the winter months so I ordered 1 ton and that's when my feed store found out that they were no longer milling it.

Ronda

Oh man, go figure. I JUST switched my chin over to PANR! I have enough left for a month or two, so hopefully everyone will have figured out which new kind is the best by then! :)) haha

I'm a little confused because of the six pages of replies, but is there a certain brand I should definitely NOT buy? I'm hoping my local pet stores will start selling the kind that comes in the 7lb bag. I only have one chin, and it's so expensive to order online with shipping and all.

You won't have to worry about getting any of the old stuff any more - I got the last 43 bags.

Lol, that's good. If all goes well with my order at this new store, I think I'm going to switch feed stores for good. I'm tired of problems, even if they are willing to resolve them. There's just been too many this past year.

I'm a little confused because of the six pages of replies, but is there a certain brand I should definitely NOT buy?

These are all the same 'brand' (Purina). Just different formulas/feeds. The new Show formula looks promising as the one you should buy. The Fibre3 (the one that is supposed to be available in 7 lb bags) looks promising as well. Now it's just a matter of trying them out to see if they are as good in practice as they are on paper.

Last edited:
Back