Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess my herd isn't super picky about their pellets, or are just little piglets that will eat anything in front of their face! Everyone is transitioning nicely, and not wasting much. Food bowls are still low or empty when I feed in the morning. Hay consumption hasn't really changed either. Although I did give them a good pep talk/lecture about how they better eat their pellets cuz that's all I am going to feed them from now on... :innocent:

Right now most of us have switched to Purina Rabbit Chow Show, but some of us are having problems with the chins eating it. Like Spoof said, we are still in the testing phase to see what the chins will actually eat.

I didn't realize the change until this posting. When I sent hubby in last week to get 200# he was told it was the same stuff just new packaging. So they have had this food for 1 week now. Out of curiosity I weighed most of the girls. All but two have gained weight. The other two had lost weight since the 1st of Dec. I have noticed in general I have alot of waste. The chins are kicking the food out of the feeders..but I noticed this switch when I went from Shoots to the purina diet. I am not happy about that and am considering trying another. I really don't want to do another switch though.

Jessica

Shakes head and mutters something under my breath. Late this summer my chins all started losing weight on Mazuri after 5 years of use. Then I switched to my first and only bag of PANR. That guy took forever to get it to me and I then went back to my AG store hoping to get feed faster. I'm guessing his long wait may have been due to PANR being dropped and having to search for my one and only bag.

I then went back to my original Ag store and she said she had one bag of PANR. I drove out there. Paid inside while the husband put it in the bed of the truck. Keep in mind the lady on the phone said that was PANR. She had one bag as someone got out of the bunny business and normally she doesn't keep it in stock and I would have to order. Not a problem I thought to myself.

I got home and low and behold the bag was the Professional in the silver bag. I could of wrung her neck. Having very little PANR I just mixed it in and used the gosh darned bag I DIDN'T WANT. :hair: My chins do not like the Professional.

So now I am going to switch to Shoots come January. Picking it up at the Empress show.

I sent Purina a note today telling them about my Mazuri experience and placed the link here to this thread telling them about no warning of dropping PANR and that people do use it as a chin feed.

Last edited:
When I sent hubby in last week to get 200# he was told it was the same stuff just new packaging.
They even advertise it has their new formula in it right on the bag. I swear feed stores will tell you anything to get you to buy.

I have noticed in general I have alot of waste. The chins are kicking the food out of the feeders..
Yea, my feeders hold a week's supply and they'll dig them out in two days. That is a lot of waste. I've completely switched over to the green bag - Chow? this week. Less being dug out, will know at the end of the week if I'm going to stick with it.

Will be picking up a bag of the fibre3 next week. I'm burning through feed fast with all the wastage.

Well I sent hubby to return 150# of the new food. I've noticed alot of small poos in the last 24 hours. I only had the receipt for 100# so they would only take two of the bags back.

I got nutrena 25# so I am going to see how that goes. This really really sucks

Jessica

I was lucky enough to find 2 bags of PANR at a feed store today. I was down to about 15 lbs. I called to over 40 feed stores within a 2 hr drive and the majority of the Purina dealers had never even heard of PANR Show, but carried the Rabbit Chow. I've found tons of the Professional formula (I probably have access to 30 or more bags), but I don't really want to use it. I'm stuck on whether to switch to Fibre3 or the new Rabbit Show Chow. Or I may just end up switching to the Koch feed that Shoots sells and just stocking up on a 4 month supply at a time and then just buying it from him at shows. Ugh, this is a horrible situation.

Last edited:
Shakes head and mutters something under my breath. Late this summer my chins all started losing weight on Mazuri after 5 years of use. Then I switched to my first and only bag of PANR. That guy took forever to get it to me and I then went back to my AG store hoping to get feed faster. I'm guessing his long wait may have been due to PANR being dropped and having to search for my one and only bag.

I then went back to my original Ag store and she said she had one bag of PANR. I drove out there. Paid inside while the husband put it in the bed of the truck. Keep in mind the lady on the phone said that was PANR. She had one bag as someone got out of the bunny business and normally she doesn't keep it in stock and I would have to order. Not a problem I thought to myself.

I got home and low and behold the bag was the Professional in the silver bag. I could of wrung her neck. Having very little PANR I just mixed it in and used the gosh darned bag I DIDN'T WANT. :hair: My chins do not like the Professional.

So now I am going to switch to Shoots come January. Picking it up at the Empress show.

I sent Purina a note today telling them about my Mazuri experience and placed the link here to this thread telling them about no warning of dropping PANR and that people do use it as a chin feed.

You can't actually be mad at the lady in the feed store. PANR is just a shortened term we use here. In all actuality, she did give you PANR. She gave you "Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit" Professional Formula. Did you specify that you wanted the show formula, or just PANR?

Jess - I'm happy with the Nutrena. If I could still get it and get it made decently, I'd be using Tradition. But between the lack of quality and the continuously rising price (for crappy quality) it just wasn't working for me. After the fiasco with PenPals, the Nutrena was a life saver. My chins look so much better again.

Great to know Peggy. I was just about ready to do a search and see who was using it. I hope this will be the last switch. I hate switching.

Jessica

Gene Adcock and Brenda Walter to name two. Quite a few of the Wisconsin chin folks switched to Nutrena, as well as several in Illinois.

Jeez! I ordered a bag the first week of Dec, went picked it up, my dad brought it in the chin room and the chins have been eating it... just read the bag and it is the PRCS! Chins are all eating it, went cold turkey bc I didn't even notice it was different!!! Poos all look the same! I'll keep an eye out. My feed store didn't tell me it was different either!

You can't actually be mad at the lady in the feed store. PANR is just a shortened term we use here. In all actuality, she did give you PANR. She gave you "Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit" Professional Formula. Did you specify that you wanted the show formula, or just PANR?

I just told her I wanted Purina Advanced Nutrition Show formula. I ended up with Professional.

My chins are all on the PRCS now. They had no trouble with the food switch from PANR. I couldn't even tell the difference between the pellets.

Back