Everything you need and wanted to know about hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SunshineChins

So.. since this is a new forum again and I don't think there has been a thread yet on hay that answers the basic questions thought I would start one.

• What kind of hay should I purchase?
  • Where can I purchase hay?
  • How do I store hay?
  • Why do I have to feed hay to my chinchilla?
  • What are the types of hay or grasses I can feed my chin?

((disclaimer..I do actually know the answers to these questions:D))

What kind of hay should I purchase? A pet chinchilla on an alfalfa-based pellet should have access to grass hay at all times. The most common is timothy hay but orchard, bermuda, and brome are also grass hays. A chinchilla on a timothy-based pellet should have grass hay as well but should also receive a small amount of alfalfa hay. Ensure that your hay is not moldy or dusty and that it does not have an unpleasant odor.

Where can I purchase hay? Hay can be purchased through the pet store, at a feed store, or online.

How do I store hay? Hay should be stored in a "breathable" container to prevent mold growth or moisture buildup. I use a cardboard box with holes punched in it.

Why do I have to feed hay to my chinchilla? Loose hay is important to provide the fiber necessary to keep food moving through the chinchilla's gut and keep the G.I. tract healthy. Also, as a chinchilla has teeth that are constantly growing, hay is important in helping to grind down the back teeth and prevent the molars from developing points. A variety of hay textures is beneficial as each are chewed with a different motion, helping to grind down the entire surface of the molars

What are the types of hay or grasses I can feed my chin? I listed those which are necessary depending on the type of diet in my first answer but other hays can also be given as treats or supplements. Other than the grass hays (timothy, orchard, brome, bermuda, mountain grass, etc.) and the legume hay (alfalfa), there are also coarser grain hays (oat, wheat, barley) which can be given as a treat and to those who may be finicky hay eaters or are at risk for dental issues.

I store my hay in the plastic bag we buy it in (oxbow brand hay) should I maybe punch holes in the bag so it can breath?

personally, i would remove it from the bag, put it in a box or even a plastic tub with the lid off.... Hat needs to have air moving around it in order to prevent mold.

Sumiko gave great answers!
You should feed your chinchilla Timothy Hay as a main hay. Ever heard of 1st cut and 2nd cut and wonder what that is?

1st Cut Timothy Hay -- 1st cutting timothy, depending on when it is cut, is typically a very coarse hay. It is usually cut when it is in bloom, contains many seedheads, and also has a lot of stem. Currently, I don't carry ANY 1st cut timothy because although it is great for fiber, it may also cause mouth, throat and eye injuries with the smaller animals like chins, guinea pigs, and degus. Frequently the stems are as big around as pencils, and I prefer a less coarse hay.

2nd Cut Timothy Hay -- 2nd cut timothy is cut around here in mid August. It has a higher leaf to stem ratio than 1st cutting. It has a beautiful green color, has some stem and seedheads, but alot more leaf than 1st cutting. The 2nd cutting timothy I carry is one of the nicest timothy hays I've seen. It is high in fiber, it is cut early so there is plenty of nutrition in the hay, and the stems are much smaller than 1st cutting. This is still a more coarse hay than bluegrass or orchard grass, because the stems are still there. This is a favorite hay with rabbits.

If you live in an agricultural area, you can also buy hay by the bale from local farmers. It tends to be cheaper, and if you only have one or two chins, you can always sell the extra to other chinnie owners!

Yes, it is best to remove hay from plastic bags. I use Oxbow Western Timothy hay and I remove it from the bag it is in and put it in a cardboard box. The plastic bag does have some holes in it but I do not feel that it provides enough exposure to fresh air which is why I remove it.

Yes, it is best to remove hay from plastic bags. I use Oxbow Western Timothy hay and I remove it from the bag it is in and put it in a cardboard box. The plastic bag does have some holes in it but I do not feel that it provides enough exposure to fresh air which is why I remove it.

When I purchase Oxbow in a bag I also leave it int he bag but with the top open. It actually says on the bag that it recommends you keep it in the bag. *shrug* I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying what Oxbow recommends.

We purchase our hay by the bale. Once the bale gets to my house I seperate it into two halves and put each in a cardboard box. I then punch holes in the box with a screwdriver for air flow.

I exchange once-a-year farm sitting services for free hay whenever needed. With 11 each rabbits & chins, I could never afford an Oxbow hay bill. :) My only gripe about the "horse hay" is that every batch is different.

What kind of hay should I purchase?
The best kind you can find.

Where can I purchase hay?
Petstore, farm/ag store, local farmer, online

How do I store hay?
So it has airflow

Why do I have to feed hay to my chinchilla?
You don't but they sure do like it and it gives them something to do. Their nutrition comes from the pellets but hay provides fiber which is good to keep their digestive system going.

What are the types of hay or grasses I can feed my chin?
Common ones are alfalfa, brome, timothy, orchard, oat, bermuda (what I have here), "meadow". You can feed loose or cubed. Contrary to what a lot of people say, a chinchilla will eat whatever type of hay you provide.

Oxbow used to have a lot of nice articles on hay but their site has changed and all I could find is this pdf newsletter.

Last edited:
What should you look for when buying hay to tell whether it's "good" or "stale"?

Good hay will be mostly green, like dried grass. Not so green it looks dyed, and yet definately more green than brown. It should also smell like grass or similar to fresh pellets, not sour or musty. It shouldn't be overly dry, or extremely dusty.
~Barb~

So what about hay by the bale? I went and picked up 2 bales of Timothy tonight and couldn't really tell much about it until I got home because it was dark in the barn where the guy kept it. So I get home and I notice that theres no smell to it and it's completely dried out. I know it's 2nd cut, but I'm not sure if I want to give it to the chins now.

This is why you should check the bales beforehand. Hay should have that fresh 'hay' smell to it, it shouldn't smell like nothing.

Hay by the bale should be just like hay by the bag, simply in a larger quantity.

I thought I read back on C&Q that if you still your hand into the bale of hay it should be nice and cool. I always look at the bale before I purchase it, I smell it, pull it apart some and yes.. I admit.. I have tasted hay.:p

When I purchase Oxbow in a bag I also leave it int he bag but with the top open. It actually says on the bag that it recommends you keep it in the bag. *shrug* I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying what Oxbow recommends.

oh no...i have been keeping it as tightly wound as possible it the bag...should i be leaving it open? im just worried about bugs getting in....i dont have a bug problem or anything but im living in the caribbean until may and ive seen some species here i thought only existed in fairytales lol...im worried that the smell of hay will attract things into the house??

I thought I read back on C&Q that if you still your hand into the bale of hay it should be nice and cool. I always look at the bale before I purchase it, I smell it, pull it apart some and yes.. I admit.. I have tasted hay.:p

so has my boyfreind lol....ok me too :)

So I have another question to add:

What if my some of my hay is brown? I've heard those pieces just loose their nutritional value but is it still okay to give to the chinchillas?

So I have another question to add:

What if my some of my hay is brown? I've heard those pieces just loose their nutritional value but is it still okay to give to the chinchillas?

This is old but I see no one replied yet. As long as the hay is not moldy or dusty I see no problem in still feeding it. As long as your chin is getting pellets and will eat the older hay. Your right, the hay is just older and has lost alot of it's nutritional value. If the chin will eat it, it will still help the teeth out.

Latest posts

Back