Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adverts like these make me cringe or, in the worse cases, get really mad. Poor chinnies. Well done to those trying to help them.

I'm in the UK so don't look on Craigslist, but do use Preloved. Breeders advertise there as well, it's where I found my lovely standard boy, so there are perfectly legitimate, sensible ones. Some adverts, on the other hand, just, argh. I keep telling myself I should stop looking.

Here's a couple:
http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033488997/7ceb0afb.html
Ok, it's good that they're not just leaving the two brothers to mangle each other, but...
>_<
;_;
The best I can hope for from that situation is that both males are neutered, but I doubt it.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033485943/f513cd02.html
Surely it's asking for trouble keeping two males so close to females? I suppose at least the cage is divided and they're not all in together (please let whoever buys them know not to do this), but with the chances of them fighting, I just wouldn't risk it.

Love the Experts

I usually stay out of the "expert pet owner (byb)" arena...but as of late I've been looking out for chinchillas so have been keeping my eye on the local classifieds. I have come across a few that the people CLEARLY did not know what they're talking about...one in particular is really irritating. SO, I run across an ad on a classified site that lists a TOV Mosaic. Click into the ad, the kit is cleary a standard gray. Politely contact the "breeder" and inform them that the picture in the ad is of a gray, not a TOV mosaic and if that was the chin for sale they were misrepresenting (also charging $175 for this EXOTIC color) They respond by telling me, that first...I am wrong...a "silver mosaic paired with a "miniature black velvet"" cannot produce a standard gray chinchilla so I need to get my facts straight before giving out information :) Also tells me that I cannot possibly care about chinchillas if I refer to her kit as "just a plain old standard gray chinchilla" ANYHOW, point of this thread is more of a rant...and to hear everyone's "dealing with the idiots" stories :) I know ya'll have 'em! OH, for anyone interested...here's a link to the ad, which has been updated since I emailed her with pictures of the parents (which weren't originally there) as if that'll confirm the color of the kit! LOL!

http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1616842.html

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033547746/67d6eaca.html

*Hops up and down in impotent rage*

It somehow makes me especially mad because they're in my area, they're really close to where I live. I'm not sure why that should mean it bothers me more, but it does. :banghead:
I really want to contact them and explain what a bad idea this is (and it looks like he's chewing that plastic cage, too. It's almost certainly not suitable for a chin anyway), any ideas what to say? Hopefully no one will take them up on it...

There is an add on the Chinchilla Club website. The person is asking to borrow a male chin to breed her female to. Some people just don't get it.

I would hope that the flea meds is a joke. I don't think that the reply posted is going to help anything though. I politely sent them an email including this website. Hopefully they will join.

hkkjstwcl, your thread has been merged with this one since we do not allow chatter in the classified ads, even for CL posts.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-Hand-Raised-Chinchilla-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ263646992

Okay this link has a bit of a story. Someone I know actually contacted this person about buying this baby chin. She sent me their emails and this link and I told her to not bother buying this chin and I think everyone will agree with me. It told her that this person is NOT a chin savvy breeder and that if she wants to buy a chin I know better breeders OR adopt one of my rescues.

Scary that this person is out there!

I can't post all the emails but here are some hightlights that this person said about chins and chin care:

They love to climb so wooden ladders are fun also.

Their main staple food should be Alfalfa and Timothy hay. I also give the a small amount of rabbit pellets along with oatmeal (not quick cooking oats) and barley.

I currently own a cat, but I’m very careful about the interaction between them. No nose touching or getting too close. They do run around and play together under supervision, but there is never any contact.

I don’t have their pedigree so I don’t know if there are any health problems with the grandparents and my male is 2 and my female is 1 1/2 and so far they have no health problems.

I don’t know their weights as I haven’t gotten a scale yet.

No my chins have never won prizes or ribbons and I do not intend to have them become show animals because the show ones are based on how much money their pelts would fetch for if they were harvested for pelts.That is not why I’m breeding them. I’m striving to have good healthy stock free of any medical problems and this far my chins appear to be in great health as they haven’t shown any sign of malaise which would probably have occurred already but not necessarily.

That is why their diet is so important to me I would also like to mention that I am starting my own line with the babies and they will come with their own identification numbers.I am not certified yet but I plan to be in the near future.

Oh my gosh. How scary that someone is actually trying to educate people when they arent even educated themselves!!

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/2290776038.html

Does that look like a mosiac to anyone? Its not a great picture but this local byb is known for misrepresentation. She puts up her Ebonies as Black Velvets and when I sent her an email saying I think she had the wrong picture or didnt know what color the chin was she told me "It doesnt really matter what color they are, these are only pet chins. No one really cares what color they are." However she has the nerve to keep them in cat carriers and homemade wire ones that are not chins safe.

I get so frustrated with her, but people defend her! Agh, ticks me off so much.

Yea, it's a mosaic.

I just flag them and move on. =) They should not be doing business on craigslist regardless, it is prohibited.

Ok, thanks. I couldnt decide what it was. One time I told her that her mesh wheel wasnt safe and her response was that I just want people to waste more money on something they dont need.

"Free female chinchilla needs some work must buy cage for $60. Is a black chin

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
"

NEEDS WORK? IS SHE A CAR? SIGH.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm gonna kill him! (Not really) I messaged a man about his chin becuase it was free roaming with no food or water and with cats.

All he said back: Sorry my cat ate my chin

Craiglist is a community for stupid people.

With the way he responded to me and you, I'm calling BS on that one, Mikayla. I think he's one of those people trying to get a rise out of anyone. True or not? I don't know. Just a hunch. And not an excuse. But it's what I'll tell myself to prevent from being more upset.

Thanks exactly what I was thinking, becuase after I e-mailed him a few more times he changed his story. So I'm like whatever. Then he sent me a shirtless pic...so I clicked block. I think craiglist people are morons.

Latest posts

Back