Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tunes- I do apologize, I want trying to cause any problems, I was only trying to understand why the practice of pre selling kits was looked down upon so much. I am truly just trying to learn. I was in no way trying too be rude when I said that I hope most people think of their chins as more than a business, I was only trying to reach the understanding that some people unfortunately do see them as just a business. I was in no way trying to cause a problem, I only wanted to learn and understand why this practice was so bad.... I apologize, again

Last edited:
I just had to share this one:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/pet/2180916183.html

I've seen this one pop up before, I don't know if its in this thread yet..
Need New Home ASAP
Date: 2011-01-26, 9:56AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog, we have been notified by breed rescue that, at long last, our number has come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children up for adoption this weekend!

They are described as:

One male -- his name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.

One female -- her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and can be affectionate. Gets along well with other little girls and little boys but does not like to share her toys and
therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training. Shouldn't take long at all.

We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them. That is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.

I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

$10 rehoming fee but price is very negotiable.

PS - If you laughed or understood the seriousness of this posting, please repost it in other areas of the country as well as continue to repost it. It doesn't matter how quickly it was flagged the point is that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will have read it and thought about it for a minute.

I love this whoever wrote it.

Maybe I'M the dumb one, but

I doubt it. I just spoke to a woman on the phone who is selling chinchilla treats on craigslist. Here is her ad:
-I am looking for a puppy thats a boston terrier/rat terrier mix thats around 5-6 weeks old I would like to wean with bottle feeding.
-I am looking for a guinea pig/guinea pigs, hamster,gerbils, birds, chinchillas, sugar gliders, and etc. . I use to rasied small pets for my past time I would like to get back into it I did this when I was a teenager. They will me taking good CARE of.
-I make homemade animal treats for hamster/gerbil, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and rabbits.
-Prices are in between 20 cents each the more you buy the less it gets. They a 1 tsp. serving size.
- Made lists with prices and each cookie prices.
-call or text if interested

I texted her asking what was used in her treats. She called me and we had a discussion about said treats. She told me that there are veggies, fruits, oatmeal, and baby food. She also told me that I could choose which veggies and fruits I wanted and that they are all dehydrated. I told her I was experienced, but she still treated me like I knew nothing. She said that I can't give cheerios because of the caramel color, but that peas are fine. She also said that she fed one of her chins a whole bag of prunes and that it was a-okay because the vets could give her antibiotics for it. She said that she sent flyers around to vets asking what was okay and what wasn't, so apparently the vets are all for it:wacko:

I don't know what to think. I tried to tell her nicely that some things are not good for chins, but she would always come back with, "but the vet said so". The worst part is, that if I were a new chin owner or didn't know any better...she was VERY convincing. *sigh*

Unfortunatly vets treat chins like they are guinea pigs or rabbits. I had the same problems with my russian tortoise.

Erin, I merged your thread in with this one. The CL ad area is only for posting links to CL ads for chins in need- if you wish to discuss an ad, it should go in this thread since chatter in the classifieds is not allowed.

Erin, I merged your thread in with this one. The CL ad area is only for posting links to CL ads for chins in need- if you wish to discuss an ad, it should go in this thread since chatter in the classifieds is not allowed.

I knew that, I just forgot :wacko: Sorry for the trouble!

From Craigslist

Large Acrylic Cage - $220 (Westwood)
Date: 2011-01-29, 10:57AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

We have a very large acrylic cage for sale. It has acrylic sides and top with a wood base stained green. It's simply too big for our apartment and we'd like to get rid of it. The housing enclosure will come apart, but I recommend you bring a truck or SUV if possible.

Cage: 48" tall x 40" wide x 31" deep. Stand: 21" tall (with wheels). So it's fairly tall.

Could possibly be used for: Gecko, Iguana, Chameleon, Bearded Dragon, Long Tailed Lizards, Argentinian Black and White Tegu, Snake, Python, Boa, Bird, Parakeets, Finches, Cockatiel, Parrot, Conures, Macaw, African Grey, Owl, Ferret, Chinchilla, Guinea Pigs, Rats

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 2186715350-0

PostingID: 2186715350

So I got a response from the "rancher"...

"Here are the two violets-both are blowing coats. The one wears a collar, she has had it since I got her. The breeder said he put it on her b/c she chews fur if she gets moved and he brought her up from NC when he moved back home to NY. The other one is blowing coat worse, lol. She has been seperated into a smaller cage to get ready for the weekend-I don't like to wait until the day of, so they are somewhat used to the cage. Both are out of Whitewoods lines. I looked it up, both were bred to the Violet male, it was my 3rd violet female that was bred to the white male. Either violet is 200.00. I have 3 other people interested, so I guess first come first picks. I hate to hold them b/c I don't want to bring them back, lol."

There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, I've never heard of chins "blowing their coats" unless she is talking about fur slips. Second of all...breeding a fur chewer?! Third of all...okay...I won't rant...but I think this might be a hoarding situation? I can't imagine this kind of ignorance out of a established rancher. It is in the area of PA that is known for puppy mills. I really liked that last little tone she ended the e-mail with..."not wanting to bring them back"...nice. I'm going to try to get the fur chewing violet but I don't think she'll part with her for less than $200. I have the money...just don't feel right about giving it to this woman.

Could the rancher maybe mean blowing the coats like priming?

The whole thing sounds messed up though... to an actual rancher, someone trying to better the species... they'd never charge $200 for a fur chewer...if they'd even SELL a furchewer at all. And I have to say, the "lol" is very professional. I like to think I'm "casual" in speaking with people inquiring about rescues, but a "rancher" selling "good chins" for "200"... I guess I think should be a little more... business-y?

agreed greychins! anything involving a business transaction, and selling chins is exactly that, you need to be at least half tookused professional about it.

First of all, I've never heard of chins "blowing their coats" unless she is talking about fur slips. Second of all...breeding a fur chewer?!

Blowing fur is a term very commonly used by ranchers. I have pictures of it here. You won't see it often with pets because you handle them frequently.

Unfortunately chewing is accepted so long as it starts after the first litter, or is only isolated to the tail. Gotten some of these lines in shipments, only to be told so long as it isn't on the body and the kit's aren't doing it, it is ok. :(

Craigslist lures some veeeery interesting people out of the woods, that is for sure. Trio - just wait - if she really doesn't want to take them back the price should drop to $50 before she leaves. :))

She said other people are interested...I would likely want to rescue and then adopt out if I can find her a good home...but she won't lower the price. Money isn't an issue for me but I am not giving someone like that $200 because I feel like that would just encourage her to continue on with something I don't agree with.

I'm staying away from craiglist from now on!

I'm staying away from craiglist from now on!

Probably for the best. :rolleyes: Generally, I have had a good experience with craigslist, but there are so many nutjobs on there..

Not to mention when I adopted Chichi she was preggers and then I bought a laptop that fried the graphics card a few months later.. lol (luckily, the company helped me out). So I always tell people to watch out with Craigslist.

i have three chinchillas that i would like to rehome together being that they are mom and dad and baby. they include there cage wheel and toys plus there carrier. asking a rehoming fee thank you

I responded asking basic questions (age of kit, any health issues, vetting, etc)

the baby was born in july. and i got them from a lady on graigslist. i got them for my daughter and she no longer takes care of them and i know work a full time job and dont
have time for them. iam asking 250 for them if you have any questions or want pictures
please call me at ...

I don't have $250 to put toward getting new chins right now, or I would take them in -- just to make sure they're separated :/

On a side note, I found a single level critter nation for $85 *happy dance*

PA has so many less-than-stellar breeders popping up I can't even begin to think who she may be. We really don't have any "true" ranchers/ranches left in PA. Mostly medium sized show breeders and you're run of the mill breeders.

WTH...why do people ask such ridiculous "adoption fees" when they are dumping animals? Sad. You should flag the post because it is an animal sale.

WTH...why do people ask such ridiculous "adoption fees" when they are dumping animals? Sad. You should flag the post because it is an animal sale.

I did flag the post. The selling vs "rehoming fee" thing really irks me too... people are stupid

Back