Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooo blue diamond, that sounds fancy. I should have my boyfriend get me that as our engagement present. :p

Here's a somewhat amusing "want ad" from my local CL today (mostly because of the colors this person is looking for):

I am looking for a chinchilla prefurably looking for one about 6 - 12 wks old or just a young one ,

I would like it to be black velvet , blue diamond , goldbar , afro violet , * recessive white * , * white mosaic * or wilson white *

.. I don't care if its a male or female .

Has to be friendly and not aggressive . and one that i could eventually show

If you have a chinchilla I may be interested in Call me or text me at [phone #] and tell me how much you would be willing to price it at , its color , and its age ..

Would like to have it b4 christmas the sooner the better :]

Unfortunatly(or not) they probably wont find most of those on CL let alone at a breeder. Are Goldbars even available at all? I've only ever seen one on a color site.

It amazes me what people ask for on craigslist. I saw a post the other day with someone asking for a FREE talking bird-- to give to their sister for christmas. What is wrong with people?!

The person who wanted a blue diamond or goldbar chin now has an ad up looking for a baby sugar glider. She says she's done "ALOT" of research but she only wants one. I thought sugar gliders needed to be kept as pairs.

I wonder if she ever found a chin or if she decided a glider would be cooler. *rolls eyes*

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-MUST-GO-Two-Male-Chinchillas-W0QQAdIdZ253684869

She wants people to offer a certain amount of money and best offer "wins". Changed the ad as she said they were in the same cage and now says they aren't. Will not let them go to a rescue. Hopefully someone will get them and keep them separate.

When I clicked on the ad it said that its no longer available but then there was one underneath it :
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-oth...from-hobby-breeder-UPDATED-W0QQAdIdZ243150678

Kits for sale that were born the first and the eleventh? WTF why are they for sale? sick hobby breeder if you ask me.

chintastic, the link you posted is to an add for somebody who is a member of this forum. Maybe she posts her babies for sale right after they are born so people can put deposits on them and then as soon as they are old enough they can go to new homes.

Narc, that said person DOES post them for sale right away, but very few breeders do that and don't look highly on "breeders" who do. You never know what is going to happen within the first few weeks of life, and it's not uncommon to lose kits within the first two months of life. Few breeders will list their animals before 6 weeks of age, and even fewer let them go home before 8.

I completely understand the pros and cons of "pre-selling" kits at such a young age. If something unfortunate were to happen, then I would assume a full refund would be given. it didn't say in that particular add what date they would be ready to take home. I'm going to give this person the benefit of the doubt, I don't know her personally, so I am going to assume she would keep the kits until the appropriate ages. But, I also understand that different breeders have different ways of doing things, I just didn't think it was very.....kind (for lack of a better word) to be down grading somebody elses methods of selling kits. Please understand, I'm not trying to be rude to anybody in any way. But I can also see the "pros" of having all the kits sold early on. From a buisness stand point, the longer you keep them the less "profit" (if any) you make. I would hope most people would look at their chins as more than just a business, but I can understand the pros and the cons. I also believe that people learn better from soft worded advice, then being ridiculed. (not all people.... But most)

Narcissus...only back yard breeders put kits for sale days after they are born. Responsable breeders do not do that. things go wrong often enough it is just irresposible and is done out of greed

Ok, then can somebody explain to me why it is looked down upon so much? It must be serious if it automatically labels you as a backyard breeder. I don't breed so perhaps I don't understand properly. I understand that sometimes unfortunate things happen and kits pass away for what ever reason, and then, you would have to refund a broken heated customer. But, why else is it a bad thing? Maybe this thread isn't the best place for this.... Should I post a new thread? I do know this much, when it comes to my dogs, I have taken deposits on them several weeks before they are ready to go. But, please let me say this, I do not sell my puppies to just anybody. I require a interview/application proccess and I must visit the puppies new home before I even consider selling a dog or any other animal to somebody. Can somebody please help me understand why this proccess is so looked down upon? I am very curious

Because the person who is buying the kit becomes attached to it, wants new pictures, gets a cage together and then the kit dies, how do you think that person now feels? Selling kits is greed, pure and simple and IMO back yard breeder.

Ticklechin- I may have read this wrong, so please bear with me, did you say that selling kits is greedy and wrong? Meaning, selling kits at all? Or just "pre selling" them?

Also, a good breeder will usually hold onto their kits until they can be evaluated to see if it is something that can be used in their breeding program, or to see if their pairings are producing what they want them to produce. If you put the kit up for sale at 1 day old, then send it home at week 8, then you have no chance of seeing the quality. Most breeders will put kits up for sale when they are old enough if they are not what they wanted from a pairing, but a lot hold onto them for evaluation purposes.

Ticklechin- I may have read this wrong, so please bear with me, did you say that selling kits is greedy and wrong? Meaning, selling kits at all? Or just "pre selling" them?

The subject we are talking about is selling kits who are a week or two old or did you forget.

Last edited:
whoa, sorry to bring up a touchy subject. I didnt realize it was someone from here, and didnt expect someone from here to be listing kits that young. It just seemed very irresponsible IMHO. I agree completely with Ticklechin and Ash.

Okay, first, the person in question has already been told repeatedly that this is not a recommended selling practice. Apparently she continues to do this anyway, much like she does other things she was not going to do (continue breeding, continue buying, etc., etc.), so making comments about THIS breader is beating a dead horse. Let's just stop.

Ash, you already know who this is, so you already know that evaluating chins for show or any other purpose not going to happen. She is breeding to make money, pure and simple. It isn't because she's trying to better the breed, or produce good quality chinchillas so why even mention this?

Narcissus, you haven't been here long enough to see the upheavels caused by this particular member, from lack of chin care to a complete lack of interest in pursuing any kind of quality breeding program. And no, most people are not in it "for the money" as you seem to be implying in your post. Some breeders are actually breeding because they love chins.

So - can we please drop this particular person before this thread explodes, because I've had quite enough of having to clean up after her in the past and I don't feel like doing it again.

Ticklechin- I was only trying to make sure that I understood what you were saying. In no way was I trying to be rude or be a smart ***. I only wanted to clarify what you had said.

Ash- thank you, I had never thought of it in that sence. It does make since to "grow out" a kit in order to evaluate if the pairing of that particular kits parents is a benifical pairing. I can understand the importance of growing out kits before selling them, it does make sence that a good breeder would want to make sure their adult pairings are going to improve the breed. Thank you. That was very informative.

Chintastic- I am in no way upset or trying to cause problems, I simply did not understand, and was racing for information.

Back