Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, I didn't know that! I know pitts can be sweet hearts but I didn't know if you could re train them. Poor dog, who ever trained it needs to be punished :(

http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1495372.html
not craigslist but......
17 Chinchillas Need Good Home Asap! 400$ For All 17
Manassas, Virginia
Pets & Animals: Exotic Pets: Chinchillas
Ad 1495372 placed 3 days ago by chrstnl637 (member since Aug 21, 2010)

17 Chinchillas need a good home. They need to be out of my house by this weekend. I can give you 17 chinchillas, 3 water bottles, a medium sized rabbit cage, and the rest of there food and hay. I hope to sell them all at once. I've had buyers that were not able to pick them up and I've been asked to lower my price. It's 400$ no less

So this one caught my eye today. Unreal:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-UNWANTED-CHINCHILLAS-W0QQAdIdZ238237989

And just in case they delete their ad:

I am a small chinchilla breeder/shelter who is willing to take your chins for you if you cannot care for them yourselfs. They must at this time come with a home as I do not have spare cages to offer. If they are not altered than I may breed them as they help pay for the cost of the shelter. As well you must be willing to bring your chins to me. Thank you for reading.

Wow. That is ridiculous. No legitimate rescue would EVER breed their chins JUST to sell and keep up with costs. This makes me sad

So I had sent the "rescue" woman that plans on breeding them an email asking her to not breed rescues as they have unknown histories AND she emailed me back:

Are you a breeder? I am not picking on you personally in anyway, however this is a strong statement for you to write to me. So I ask what is wrong with breeding two healthy chins and selling them as a pet to someone wanting and using that money to care for the hole family of chins? Now before you answer that think here of this, I know of several, several breeders of chins who would argue this same statement you have made here but they have no trouble breeding so many chins one can not count them all and keeping them all in small cages and never handling them except to grab the tail and hang them to check their sex. And these are our well respected chin breeders who can tell you everything you will want to know about them and their history.

Now I ask you a question.......who would you want to buy from? The one who can tell you the history, or the one who can tell you the health and welfare of the baby chin you are about to buy.

GRRRRRR! People just don't get it!

So I had sent the "rescue" woman that plans on breeding them an email asking her to not breed rescues as they have unknown histories AND she emailed me back:

Are you a breeder? I am not picking on you personally in anyway, however this is a strong statement for you to write to me. So I ask what is wrong with breeding two healthy chins and selling them as a pet to someone wanting and using that money to care for the hole family of chins? Now before you answer that think here of this, I know of several, several breeders of chins who would argue this same statement you have made here but they have no trouble breeding so many chins one can not count them all and keeping them all in small cages and never handling them except to grab the tail and hang them to check their sex. And these are our well respected chin breeders who can tell you everything you will want to know about them and their history.

Now I ask you a question.......who would you want to buy from? The one who can tell you the history, or the one who can tell you the health and welfare of the baby chin you are about to buy.

GRRRRRR! People just don't get it!

at least you tried hun, that's the best you could do

You should write back and ask if she's a vet or a psychic to be able to tell that her chins are "healthy" - if she doesnt know the background how does she know that chins she's planning to farm babies from doesnt come already from a backyard breeder who bred two malo chins to make cute babies. Malo doesnt often show up until a chin is around 2 years old so she has no way of telling prospective buyers her babies are healthy - well unless healthy means breathing.

You should compare her to a dog rescue - a dog rescue that was legit would NEVER breed two "healthy" rescues - purebred or mutts- to make puppies to sell to care for the "family" so why should it be ok for chinchillas?

Clearly she is trying to justify what she is doing which is wrong. I would never release rescues knowingly to this person. Is this person in Canada?

She is in Canada, Kingston to be exact. I did email her back and explain the whole issue of not knowing the history of chins and she sent me this one:

I am sure that what ever this is a vet can find it and inform me. no, I am just hobby breeding. It is not a career choice, more of an educational experience for my children. It is fine if you do what you do but I see no harm here and I know you are trying here to show me that there is harm because I could breed ill chins, however I would think my vet would tell me they are ill if they are and so then they will be altered and put in with the others who retire. So I do not hear the harm still other that I am not as educated in this field as again it is not my career only my hobby.

So her vet can see into the past AND the future.

Well I can only hope no one with a brain will give her any chins. I gave her the link to this forum and another site if she wanted to learn anything. It's so irritating when I have so many chins on a waiting list for the CCR (Canadian Chinchilla Rescue) and limited foster homes.

Here was her response to the sites I sent her:

Why would I take time to read this sight when you write to me not to be helpful but to be forward with rude remarks? I am a published author and my husband an engineer. We do not do this for profit, those breeders who know " chin history" they do it for profit. You do not know who you are writing, your just some nobody who is trying to care but going about it as though you are the only ones that do.

If you want my attention or any other person you come in contact with that do things you do not agree with, try coming at them with a positive outlook, suggesting not telling, in a kind manner, That will be much much more received

She's a lost cause - her remarks clearly contradict each other - if she wasnt doing it for profit she wouldnt be selling them. I mean if you are a rescue why not focus on a way to bring in donations? Oh wait, I am sorry now she's a hobby breeder. I mean an educator for children. Sigh I can't keep up.

Here's a beauty:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/pet/2024216613.html

"I have a pair of Chinchillas I need to find a home for. Our jobs are changing, and we are never home. Phil is a white mosaic. He loves to be petted, and will allow people to hold him. Violet is a standard grey. She has been skittish since the day we got her. I suspect it has to do with the nutjob at the petstore yanking her out of the pen by her tail and slamming her into a cardboard box. She will not allow people to hold her. She will take treats from your hand and accept an occasional petting. They do occassionally have little ones. We don't really encourage this, but if separated Phil becomes increasingly depressed, and so does Violet. They would come with their cage, hut, bowls, water bowl, and any litter and food we have. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me for more info."

I have been following this since the beginning and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I have to laught at the posts that just keep coming even from people who know nothing about chins.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/2066076385.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/2067313576.html

I dont know if any one is familiar with the DM CL but its better than lifetime when your talking drama. Put up an ad with no rehoming fee and its flagged with in 15miniutes. Do anything that the "gaurdians" dont like and It takes 15min or less.

This is great...

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/pet/2074972945.html

Sent an email, I tried to be as nice and helpful as possible.

Got this as a response:

First of all, don't tell me how to raise my chinchilla and who I should allow it to play with, you dont know didly squat. If a licensed professional vet doesnt see an issue with the bunny and chinchilla playing together, then I'm going to keep doing it. They've been playing together for ages, and nothing has happened. My rabbit will not SQUISH my chinchilla. I have a dwarf 3 lb bunny, and my chinchillas the same size. my chinchilla sleeps across my bunnies back when they sleep together, not the other way around.

I NEVER said my chinchilla doesnt eat. I said he doesnt seem like he eats much, but then again hes only ONE chinchilla and he eats mostly at night. I found out he is a healthy weight, hes just a litle depressed living alone. I know how to get chinchillas to get along. I am prepared with another cage for them to be side by side to get along first. I know what I am doing, and if they would fight or cause problems, i would change the habitats and make them live separately until they could get along. You arent just going to send me an email and tell me what im doing wrong, how i should raise my chinchilla, what to feed him, what to do, and make assumptions when you dont even know.

My chinchilla doesnt pick anything out of his food, and ive tried several brands and different mixes and varities so I knew what he liked best. Im not some dumb *** that doesnt know how to care for pets. I have plenty of pets and Im very educated on how to handle and care for them.

Stop telling me what fabrics to use and all that other bull****. I already know all of that, and he already has a nice cozy bed and all the things he needs. I know he wants a chin companion because hes been around other chins before and he lights right up when he gets around other chins. So once again, stop making assumptions.
I dont need to go to any **** website to learn anything. I dont need to be ****ing schooled on how to care for a pet.

And I didnt like your smart *** remark about
"did i even give him time to settle in before i started poking at him and throwing him in with another species"

first of all, yes he had time to settle in, hes a very happy chin. He just wants a companion. And no I never THREW him in with another species. He has his own 4 story cage, accesories and life style. He only plays with the bunny a few times a day. So stop making assumptions.

I dont care if you mean any offense or not. I took offense to it because you act like your my mother or some dman teacher on chinchillas. You act like this is advice. Its not. Its demanding, pushy and arrogant. MInd your own business. Dont reply to my posts if it doesnt have to do with selling a chinchilla. If i wanted to learn and be taught on care for them I would have asked. Stop wasting your time and get a life.

GOOD BYE!

Back