Yup, here it goes... GUNS...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
So, ladies... Quite a few of you already know what Keith's birthday present is going to be to me...

For those of you who don't, he wants to get me a gun for carrying, since 21 is the legal age to carry a pistol/handgun.

Do any of you carry guns? If so, what do you prefer or suggest? I've joined a firearms forum for the state of PA, but it's mainly guys there, and many of them have larger guns. Even Keith's newest gun so technically too big for my hands. He's got a few ideas for me, but well, I'd like to have some of my own, y'know?

I usually don't, but I have before when I have been by myself at night or driven out of state. Honestly, it doesn't matter what gun you get. You probably want something small and lightweight. I have a little .22 pistol that I prefer because it is smaller and I can put it somewhere where I can get to it easily. A lot of people are very nervous around guns, so I try to not take the gun in any situation where I will freak anyone out just by having it on me.

Get something that you feel comfortable with carrying around. Get a nice holster to carry it. You probably should go to a gun store and handle some guns, or a nice pawn shop that has a good selection...ask what they recommend. It's your gun, get what you want. ;)

My b/f just got his concealed carrying license here in ky. He is trying to talk me into getting mine. I honestly want no part in it. I did go to the shooting range and practice shooting but I honestly dont like it. But if your interested go to a shooting range, they have guns you can actually rent and practice shooting to see what you like. I would definately go with something small and light weight.

Cinti, up here in PA, the closest ranges that do that are 2+ hrs away. It really sucks. I love shooting his guns (just ask Laurie or Peggy, they pick on me about my "Redneck"ness all the time haha).

So far, I've shot 3 different 9mms and 1 .380 and I love the 9's, they're just way too big and bulky to be something that I'd be able to comfortably carry.

I'm not interested much in a .22, and would like something with a tad more "oomf!" behind it. I'd prefer a pistol over a revolver, too, just as an FYI to anyone else who comes along! See, I have SOME idea of what I want! :rofl:

Why would you want to carry a gun? I know you enjoy shooting them, but you don't even carry a purse or wear lipstick! Where are you going to keep a gun for heaven's sake? Why not take martial arts lessons then your body is a lethal weapon?!!!!

Get a 9mm then! You don't need something with a lot of firepower. They all make a loud noise and that's usually all you need. Even a small gun pokes a hole in an attacker and makes them go down.

I killed a coyote with a .22 a couple years ago. It ran about 150 yards and fell over and died. The small caliber guns are useful!

MY white grandma carries a small pink gun but I dont know what its called..

And Ash just because you are being manly in getting a gun doesnt mean you have to be to carry it.. Make him get you a purse with it! My grandmother has about 3 or 4 of them with the holster built right in!

Haha I have a purse Laurie so :neener: and I honestly don't want to carry in my purse, purely for the fact of trouble getting the gone "lost" in it. I can easily carry in a holster on my person :p Also, most of the concealed carry purses are $100+ that we've found. No thank you! Too $$$ for my tastes! I'd be scared of ruining a purse that expensive!

Mel, is it a pink revolver or a derringer? They have those at the gun shop and I laugh every time I see them!

As far as why carry a gun... Laurie, I live in a neighborhood where there's a shooting at least once every other week. :/ Once Keith gets a job, I'm gonna have to start walking to work again and in the past few months, it's gotten worse and worse. I can't wait to move!

Now, as far as carrying a 9mm... Suggestions for smaller ones? All the ones I've shot were bulky and I wouldn't be able to carry comfortably on my smaller frame... Haha

Last edited:
I know very little about guns but I DO know if you are going to carry a gun you should NOT carry it in a purse. The gun people say "You are just arming a purse snatcher." If you are going to carry a gun, you should carry it on your body in a holster or whatever.

It's illegal here, I think, to carry a gun. Anyway legal or not, I wouldn't, I'm against gun and wearing one can easily turn against you. I got my judo class and it's enough for me. Back when I was with my ex, I told him I'd never want him to get a "lead Rifle" (I'm not sure it's the right word in english, it only shoot lead balls that are not lethal but can do harm).

That's true, a gun can very easily be taken away and then used on you...especially a woman. I admit that I have no upper body strength and I could easily be overpowered and have my gun taken from me. That's one reason why I wouldn't want to take it everywhere. Just on trips at night when I really may need it...maybe in the car. I've carried a gun before outside on hikes, but that's mostly for wild animals.

I have a concealed carry permit (I also used to work at the regional jail here where guns were required). My mom, dad and brother also have their concealed carry permits. I have had 3 guns in my time. My mom and I both have a Lady Smith 9mm...fits in a woman's hand just a little better than the standard 9mm I used when I was at the jail. I also had (until it got stolen from my car a while back) a Beretta Tomcat 32 cal (shows pop up barrel) with laser sight grip (here's a pic of one with laser grip)...ohhhhhhhh that baby was nice! LOVED that thing more than the Lady Smith I still have, but dang it - those thieves! The Tomcat has a barrel that breaks in the middle for loading into the chamber, and it's lighter than the Lady Smith cuz it only holds 7 (+1 in the chamber) vs the 8+1 that the Lady Smith holds. Makes a big difference when you're a smaller lady (not that I am or anything). ;)

I also have a relative (my mom's cousin's wife) who is a concealed carry instructor (among other things) and the Tomcat is what she carries. (Little off topic - but her license plate is "PACKIN"....hmmm...wonder what that means?) Here's her site - http://personalprotection101.com/

OH! And here's the link to Guntotenmamas (I know, I know!). They have quite a few choices in concealed carry bags (purses) that are not over $100 (only 1 is). :)

ETA (again) - found this Lady Smith for sale and if I didn't already have one, I'd get it (as they retail for around $900)! http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=37945&page=7 (they're in Westerville OH)

Thanks guys!

Keith has mentioned the Kel Tec P11, but I've heard bad about the Kel Tecs. I guess we'll just have to see!

Too bad I don't think I could talk him into the Lady Smith.. That looks nice.

For those of you thinking someone is going to overpower you and take your gun.. If you have your gun out, the person should not be able to get that close to you.. shoot them. Shoot or get shot.

I have tiny hands. I looked at a Taurus and a Walther this weekend. I think they were .38- enough to stop a person rather than a little .22. That said, I really liked the Glock we had before. It was a 9mm compact. The sub-compact was too small for hubby's hands, but he could use the compact comfortably too. I saw a pink Taurus but it was a .22, lol. The other pink one I saw had been refurbished in a pink grip and it was a .38.

WHAT Ash has a purse? I'm on the phone with the Vatican as we speak to get this witnessed as a miracle! I hope the Pope doesn't faint when he hears the news!

LOL Laurie! I need SOMETHING to carry a book, my brush, deoderant, and a bottle of tylenol around in! Oh, yeah, and my wallet...

LOL Laurie! I need SOMETHING to carry a book, my brush, deoderant, and a bottle of tylenol around in! Oh, yeah, and my wallet...
How about a custom gun holster, you know the kind with the loops to put ammo in. You can have one made to hold those things also :neener:

Back