X8 - Possible TOV Mosaic?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
So, my guys have been really busy lately. Today I found a cute ol girl (Adelais) - what I'm thinking is that she's a TOV mosaic or a really heavily marked mosaic. I can't wait to see what she grows into. Her mother is a color section champ TOV Mosaic and sire is a 1st place nationals standard. 59g chunker.

What do you guys think?

DSC_0018-1.jpg

Last edited:
Aw very cute! I love whites. I love how they change.

My MuShu was born grey looking like that but now she's predominantly white
baby pic
baby1.jpg

The chunker now
IMG_3060.jpg

I'm with the others on the Tov, but if there is Tov involved you'll probably start getting random darker spots. :))

i am the proud great grandmother of this kit.

tiffany - she is precious.

her mom looked like a plain old white when she was born but went on to develop her "bonnet" quite a bit later. i now have a male that i think may end up being tov but am not sure. with whites i really don't call the tov ever until they throw a black...

either way, i know her lines and cannot wait to see how she turns out.

Shelli is the grandma :) You old fart! :p

Her dam is absolutely gorgeous, and as Shelli mentioned, she didn't look like a TOV at first but she shows it now. The dark black spot on her head showed up later on. I fell in love with her at the SEC show last year and had to have her lol. The more I look at Adelais the more I think that she's a mosaic. When I first found her though that's all that crossed my mind was that she was a TOV because of the markings. Sometimes I just need to take a step back and stop wishing lol.

DSC_0027-7.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have to wait and see. I had 2 like that who developed spots later. One of them was the daughter of my mosaic you like, at first I thought she was a copy of her mom but she turned tov later.

Shelli is the grandma :) You old fart! :p

Her dam is absolutely gorgeous, and as Shelli mentioned, she didn't look like a TOV at first but she shows it now. The dark black spot on her head showed up later on. I fell in love with her at the SEC show last year and had to have her lol. The more I look at Adelais the more I think that she's a mosaic. When I first found her though that's all that crossed my mind was that she was a TOV because of the markings. Sometimes I just need to take a step back and stop wishing lol.

DSC_0027-7.jpg
This is awesome! Is so tempting me to start breed my white to BV!!!!:hair:

Cute baby but i dont see tov either...congrats

I thought I read somewhere that you can tell it's a tov, partially by the marked lines on the front paws, or is it for some other mutation?
Can't remember.

Paw stripes can indicate TOV, although some colors have paw stripes but are not - my little tan kit Poet has paw stripes but she is not TOV.

The only way to tell for certain if an animal has the black gene is to breed it. If it produces a black or tov animal then it has the gene.
Right, I just was so surprised with how dark she was and figured maybe it's got something to do with the TOV gene. I didn't see the paw stripes, but I figured I'd see everyone's opinion. She hasn't lightened at all, still looks like a standard with a white tip tail.

The biggest problem with whites, is that they do hide the gene very well. I've seen whites, with no known TOV in their lines, have facial markings and paw stripes like a TOV animal would have. I do not call a white, even with a parent that has the gene a TOV white, until it's proven to throw either a black or brown velvet through breeding. It's safer that way. I do mention that it CAN be, but never say it IS. Simply because if it looks like it, but never throws the gene-- you'll have some angry customers.

Also, don't go just by paw stripes. Look at most standards, especially the darker standards. They've got pawstripes :) My violet, which has no TOV in his pedigree that I can see, has very clear paw stripes.

Back