Why do we keep getting denied?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bree is gorgeous! If I ever I have the land for it, I have my heart set on an Australian Shepherd and can definitely understand the shepherd appeal! Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks everyone :) Have not heard anything yet, I am hoping that even if we are denied that they contact us. Nothing is worse than to be left hanging!

I'm surprised shepards are not on your do not buy list in terms of home owners insurance. They should be right up there with pits. IMO, shepards are not very trustworthy. I've have seen more kids bitten my shepards than I have with pits. I have personally experienced more agressive shepards in the vet office than any other dogs.....well with the exception of chihuahuas.

We have a "boxer mix". In reality, he is a purebred pit. People can't tell the difference. Any dog that looks blocky and muscled will be labeled as a pit. Here is an interesting test on guessing which is the pit bull.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Wow, I had no idea it was so hard to adopt a pet. My experience I wanted to adopt 2 persians that were 10 years old and already spayed and neutered. I contacted them about 10 times before I got a response. It took around a month to actually meet up with them after all the emails, but I was able to adopt them.

I wanted chime in on this one since I have a coworker who volunteers several times a week at a dog and cat rescue. I know in the past she has mentioned that people will often get denied based on the animal they are choosing. Like others in the thread have mentioned, if a dog that ins't good with cats/other animals are chosen they will deny for that..
If you pick a dog that has been only partially been through the process (like its been rescued, checked out by the vet (and fixed) but hasn't passed the behavioral tests) you may be waiting a while for it to be adoptable, depending on what the behavior problems are and that shelters policies concerning it. For instance, at my coworkers place, if they are testing to see if a dog is resistant to being on a leash and the dog attacks or bites or is extrememly resistant in an agressive manner, they will wait and try again at a later time. If the same dog attacks or bites anyone in said shelter in the entire course of its stay there 3 times, their policy is to put it down.
If you are being asked questions about hypothetical situations like "You come home from work and the dog has torn everything in the house to shreds, what would you do?" then it may be your answers to those questions that are giving them pause that you may not have a clue on how to handle a dog with behavior problems.

I would suggest that if someone was interested in an animal at a shelter they should try and get the shelter on the phone to make an appointment to see the animal and talk with the shelter about their expectations of an adopting family. If you can't get them even to do that, it seems like it could point to organization problems or possible hoarding. Another possible reason you might be getting denied. Maybe the dogs you want are with foster parents who don't want to let them go.

Unfortunately, I'm willing to bet the little cutie your husband wants has a bunch of applications. My fingers are crossed for you. Be persistant. Write polite notes to them asking if they received your application. After a certain amount of time if you don't hear from them, ask them if you have been denied and why. It could be THEY thought another home would be more suitable. Maybe if they sense your genuine interest in adopting, they can help you find a dog/puppy that suits your needs.

I have been in communication with them very frequently. I also offered to donate some supplies to their rescue and I offered two additional references. I am trying to do what I can but I have not been approved ANYWHERE yet. I have not yet been "denied" for Bree but I am starting to get a bad feeling. I know my husband will be so bummed because he doesn't understand how we could get denied...he's very positive about it. At least I am prepared...I have dog stuff everywhere. Honestly in the next few weeks if nothing works out I might just put the dog stuff away and put getting a dog out of my mind for awhile. This was "supposed to be" the perfect time for us to adopt a dog because my work load is so light and I will be home for the transition period. After the transition period, my husband will be home during the day and I will be home at night...that is our regular schedule. Someone will always be with her...to me that seems ideal, but maybe there is some "better adopter." We specifically said we want a higher energy dog. I also talked about how I want to train the dog, and even named the organization I am going through. Aside from handing over my first born, I am not quite sure what I can do :p

So...Bree is coming up to PA from Alabama on either July 9th or the 16th and we are her new "parents" :) We are SO thrilled!!! Plus, this makes one more spot for another dog to be pulled from the kill shelter. The woman who runs the rescue said 500 dogs were euthanized in the last week alone...wow. When I got the call she was sitting with Bree (who I think we are going to re-name) and all the other dogs were barking their heads off and she said Bree was just sitting there looking at them like "what's your problem?" LOL! She sounds like a wonderful girl...and I am so relieved that we are finally APPROVED and it really seems that she will be a perfect fit for us. Woohoo! I will obviously keep you all updated!

YAY!! I'm so glad you got approved before getting completely disillusioned and gave up! Hopefully the adoption goes through without a hitch!

Congratulations! The long wait, and string of denials, is finally over! Can't wait for her to make it home to you!

Thanks :) We are hoping for the 9th, though they have to have enough dogs to bring up. I should know by the end of next week. Either way, we are very happy that she will be ours! Of course now I can finish buying the rest of the things I need to thoroughly spoil her ;)

If you have nation wide by any chance, last I heard they have amended their rules that Pit bulls and mixes are allowed provided they have their CGC.

I still would not chance it though. As Andrea said, a lot of times with BSL if it looks like a pit, its a pit..doesn't matter what anyone says. Dogs that have stand up ears, blocky faces, and a muscular build have been confiscated and killed because they were labled pit bulls... Even pure bred labs and boxers. When you are dealing with BSL and your home owners insurance you don't want to take a chance. Especially if there is a chance neighbors may turn you in.

I think you guys may have misunderstood me. For example, my mother has three half-pits. Except for the girl--who is a doll--you would never know the other two had any pit in them....they look like lab mixes (tall, long thin bodies, etc). I was saying that perhaps Andrea could find a dog that was indeed part pit, but looked like anything but a pit/boxer/mastiff, etc.

Regardless, :congrats1: I am so glad you were able to adopt Bree! You said you got her from Alabama. I'm in AL....may I ask which part?

I wasn't willing to take the risk of losing the dog based off of BSL which is VERY bad in my area, especially since I live in a nice neighborhood with a lot of small children. I am sure getting a "mean looking dog" would have caused a small uproar to say the least. In fact there are really only two or three families that even have ANY dogs around here. Just swarms of kids. She is coming from Locust Fork, AL.

Congratulations!! If you need any help..just holler. I've brought in two adult rescues dogs 2-3 years ago. It was mostly smooth with a couple of bumps lol.

Yuck..some of the kill rates at these shelters are deplorable. I blame people that don't spay and neuter and who look at dogs AND cats as disposable.

So...Bree is coming up to PA from Alabama on either July 9th or the 16th and we are her new "parents" :) We are SO thrilled!!! Plus, this makes one more spot for another dog to be pulled from the kill shelter. The woman who runs the rescue said 500 dogs were euthanized in the last week alone...wow. When I got the call she was sitting with Bree (who I think we are going to re-name) and all the other dogs were barking their heads off and she said Bree was just sitting there looking at them like "what's your problem?" LOL! She sounds like a wonderful girl...and I am so relieved that we are finally APPROVED and it really seems that she will be a perfect fit for us. Woohoo! I will obviously keep you all updated!

Yay! :congrats2:Congrats to you guys! I really think this is a case of "everything happens for a reason". :hearts:-dog-

Back