Why do we keep getting denied?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaylee is a cutie!! Congrats! So glad she found a great home!

Thank you everyone :). We just woke up from a nap together...she finds ways to smoosh as close to me as possible :p. I took her out and she did pee outside so I'm hoping we will make progress on housetraining quickly. I rewarded her and made a big deal out of her going outside...I'm following a positive training method based off of Victoria Stillwell's book. Most of the dogs adopted today were really young...in fact an entire litter of puppies got adopted today (two were adopted by a family who had a four month old child...I'd lose my mind...lol!) but there were some older dogs as well. All the ones I met were very sweet. They said they fly dogs into New England because there are not a lot of dogs to adopt that far up north and there are 500 dogs a week being euthanized in their area of Alabama. Since 63 dogs were adopted, 63 more can be pulled from kill shelters. They make the trip up with the rescue van every two weeks...I can't even believe Kaylee had been at their rescue since March! She is just the sweetest dog ever. I am really enjoying walking her so far since she pays no mind to the barking dogs in the neighborhood...she just walks right by. My husband is a little discouraged since the cat is in hiding...I keep telling him it will take time. I'm crating Kaylee tonight so Nova (the cat) will be able to come out. Kaylee has seen the chins and she's actually scared of how much noise they make running on the wheel...LOL! I will be monitoring her completely and never allowing her in the basement unsupervised (chin/cat area). I don't think she'd cause trouble, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I got a dog gate with a cat door that I'm setting up on Monday. Anyway, all in all I am very happy...I'd fully recommend adopting if you can!

Tell hubby that's totally normal. I've been a MULTI cat and dog house for over 15 years. Excellant idea giving the cat a chance to come out and relax. Give kitty special time and protect her if Caylee gets a little too interested. If she hisses or swats at the dog, don't overreact. It could take a few weeks but they'll be ok. :)

Kaylee is still sleeping with my hubby as of now...I might go wake her up soon to give her "breakfast"...it is nice that she wanted to sleep in though, because it gave me a chance to clean the house and play with the chins. I saw the cat drinking out of Kaylee's water dish this morning...LOL...hopefully she will come around soon. We have been giving her a supplement from PetSmart that is supposed to have a calming effect...she is still eating/using her box so I am sure it could be worse!

Glad to hear she is doing well! She looks like a total sweetheart.

We are living with my husbands aunt, and she has two cats. They've never lived with dogs, and Gavin has never lived with cats. What we did was install a baby gate that the dog can't get over, but the cats can. This lets the cats have their own area of the house where the dog cannot go. They stayed in hiding for quite a while, but now come out when the dog is in his room for the night.

Good Luck!!

What a cutie!!! So glad your girl is home. :)

Going off of what Megan said, when my roommates and I fostered both cats and dogs, one room actually got 2 baby gates, one at floor level, and one above that with a small (6" to 8") gap between. That way if one of the dogs decided to be a pest, the cats had a sanctuary, and we *knew* the dog wasn't getting over the gate. I mention it b/c once Kaylee decides to jump, she could probably clear the average baby gate in one try.

Well at night Kaylee is just in our bedroom with the door closed. Nova has the rest of the house to herself during that time, and tomorrow our dog gate with a cat door in it is arriving from Amazon! I didn't plan the timing perfectly BUT at least I will be home...my first day back at work is Tuesday, and my husband has off that day so Kaylee will still have someone to be with. Today we have had NO accidents in the house (yay!) and I am starting to get a feel for her schedule. I bought some more grooming supplies and I'm hoping that the dog pound muck will be totally gone ASAP. I can tell she loves being clean!

Congrats on getting her! She is beautiful! It is also good that she loves being clean after the state you said you got her in I am sure she really appreciates all you are doing for her..

Took Kaylee to her vet appt today...$300...YIKES. She has a double ear infection so we are treating that, and she had to get several shots that the rescue did not give her (including Bordatella which is NUTS considering she was in a kennel!) The only thing I did not do is the microchip because the vet only does Home Again and I want AKC. I am a little miffed at the rescue...I understand that they care for a lot of animals but each one should arrive with all their shots and sans ear infections IMO. Oh well...she is in good hands now and we will do what we have to to keep her happy and healthy :)

Well I live in a very expensive area and the vets around here are all about highway robbery, especially the ones who are even remotely worth it (ie- actually know what they are doing). It was $58 for the exam, $28 for Bordatella, $35 for canine distemper booster, $22 for canine influenza booster, $32 for stool parasite check, $73 for a year supply of interceptor though I will get a $12 rebate for that, $27 for an ear swab and $28 for the meds to help her recover from the ear infection. Actually, I just noticed going over this that they did not charge me for the Lyme Vaccine she got...I am sure they will get me for that when I go back to have her boostered and re-examined in two weeks. I don't mind paying the vet bills but like I said I just think that since she was examined prior to coming up that a bad ear infection should have been discovered and mentioned to me at the very least...she did get an Alabama Health Certificate, whatever that even means. At least she doesn't have any parasites :)

I'm sorry that happened Andrea. I just hope people read this and realize what it means to bring a new pet home. I think so many people fail to consider the health issues that can arise right off the bat. Kaylee has an ear infection, Stacie's rescue has a cherry eye that needs attention. Glad to know that this little girl found a home that was prepared to care for her! Hope the ear infection clears up quickly!

Thanks :) Unfortunately many times dogs are in rescue (and cats) because of owners not preparing for vet bills. Vet bills are a HUGE cost even if there aren't major issues...and then if there are, they can just get insane. My friend rescued a pup that got parvo and she spent $13,000 on vet bills. My mom had a dog that had a rare blood disorder and she spent $20,000 on extreme measures to save him and he passed away during treatment. I have thought about getting dog insurance but I hear it is really mostly a scam.

Unless you plan on boarding her or using dog parks on a regular basis the bordatella and canine influenza vaccs were unnecessary in my opinion. Beware of vets that over vaccinate dogs.

Hmmm well she got the canine flu shot at the rescue, but apparently it is a two-series shot so I decided to go ahead and get the booster. My dogs have ALWAYS had Bordatella because I take them around town to the State Park, the groomers, PetSmart, etc and with all those strange dogs I just think Bordatella is a good preventative shot. I probably won't get the canine flu shot for her after this year, it was special circumstances this time.

Trio, I love your little girl! Her features (not color) totally look like my pound puppy (that I got in AL as well)!

Shiloh says thank you for adopting. :hug2:
IMG_0987.jpg

More pictures of Kaylee please. :D

Latest posts

Back