Why do we keep getting denied?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rescues are that way everywhere. I think a lot of them are so OCD about their placements that they discourage and scare off perfectly good adopters. And they don't care! I mean, it would be impossible for me to rehome my dogs because no one would ever be good enough, but they have to realize that to save more dogs they need to rehome more dogs.

Maybe they think your yard isn't big enough? Maybe they don't like the fact that you haven't owned a dog recently? Don't let it turn you off to rescue dogs. Go to your local shelter or humane society. If it's like it is here, the shelters have limited space and there are dogs being euthanized daily because there isn't enough interest.

Give it some time and your dog will find you.

I'm not sure what more to suggest. I adopted my doberman from the American Lab Rescue here in conn. of all places lol. I went above the "call of duty" on their application. I told added a sheet of paper and explained my experience with dobes and how mine lived to ripe old ages, my beliefs on animal care and ownership etc. They did a home visit and it was very pleasant. Maybe ask for a home visit to prove you are a good owner? They are not looking through your underwear drawers or anything. They simply want to know you have a safe environment.

The second rescue I adopted from was New Day Rescue in Bloomfield, CT. She had me fill out the the application but she also gave me an in depth interview on the phone. She felt she could get a better feel on people by talking with them.

Neither experience was too painful. I wanted to use a rescue because I needed the dogs to be cat/child tested and I picked the rescues that included good info in their pet bios.

P.S. are you positive your references are giving you GOOD references?

Good luck!

Oh yes...don't overlook the "plain janes" at the rescues. You know...maybe not much to look at.... but great personality. You might have a better chance and give an overlooked dog a home. When several people are vying for the same dog, they are going to give the dog to the most suitable home which is purely subjective on their part. I was once denied a dog and when asked why, they said they thought a retired couple that inquired would be better for the dog. Hmmpppffff...

As far as rescue organizations go, the lengths that people are willing to go through just to adopt should be a no-brainer. Generally speaking, people who are going to make that much effort are not going to be neglectful or abusive owners.

I tried to adopt a couple of chins through a Humane Society in TN before getting my babies. I corresponded back and forth via email, filled out the application, and waited. And waited. Finally about a week and a half went by before I had to email them to find out the status on the chins/my application. A lady I'd never spoken with said, "Oh, the owners of the chinchillas decided they wanted to keep them after all (they were the ones who put the chins up for adoption!)." I'm thought, Thanks for nothing, I will not be going through your organization again."

Well I still haven't heard back about the shepherd mix. I'm not denying dogs based on physical appearance...that is if I really had a chance to even deny them before getting denied myself. I might visit the city shelter again today and ask specifically if they have any non-pits. Someone told me they often don't advertise those dogs because they will have no problem getting adopted.

Well I still haven't heard back about the shepherd mix. I'm not denying dogs based on physical appearance...that is if I really had a chance to even deny them before getting denied myself. I might visit the city shelter again today and ask specifically if they have any non-pits. Someone told me they often don't advertise those dogs because they will have no problem getting adopted.

I don't know if this would be a loophole--or against your insurance company's policy--but a lot of times dogs that are half-pit are identified based on the other part of their breed, i.e., a dog that's half pit/half lab is often times labeled "Lab mix" because of its appearance?

If it looks like a pit it doesn't matter if it is or not ~ insurance will be a problem especially since I live in a neighborhood with tons of kids. I would not doubt the neighbors on reporting me and the dog due to it being a "biting breed.". I'd rather not deal with that hassle. I am looking for a dog with some shepherd...or at least that's the "ideal.". We'll see!

If you have nation wide by any chance, last I heard they have amended their rules that Pit bulls and mixes are allowed provided they have their CGC.

I still would not chance it though. As Andrea said, a lot of times with BSL if it looks like a pit, its a pit..doesn't matter what anyone says. Dogs that have stand up ears, blocky faces, and a muscular build have been confiscated and killed because they were labled pit bulls... Even pure bred labs and boxers. When you are dealing with BSL and your home owners insurance you don't want to take a chance. Especially if there is a chance neighbors may turn you in.

Right now we are just working on one application because my husband is really smitten with this girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19678049. Maybe everyone is right and "our dog" will come along when it's "the right one!". I appreciate all the encouragement I've gotten as well as the stories of similar experiences...I am sticking to trying to rescue a dog despite my frustrations. Maybe all this is making me better equipped for when she comes home!

She's a beauty, stress that you know she will have plenty of energy, and you are looking forward to teaching her lots of stuff! They're very bright, and do best when they have a "job!"

I would recommend doing some digging for very small, single-person type rescues. They seem to be more chill.

I actually applied to a decent sized, multi-state Border Collie rescue organization. Never owned a border collie in my life. I lived in a 900 sq.ft. one bedroom apartment, with no yard of any sort. I was a full-time student with at least 1 part time job. My apartment was right up against a large park, but there wasn't *supposed* to be any off-leash dogs. A volunteer came to do a home visit and brought a dog she was fostering with her. I had my moms dog as my temporary "protector" at the time and they did NOT get along. The lady was still super nice and said I should have no problems getting a dog in the near future. I was e-mailed about a "courtesy listing" - a lady that just took in a bunch of BCs off a farm about an hour and a half away. She had one female ready for adoption. I went to look at her even though she was the complete opposite of what I was looking for (I want a long-haired red and white...ended up with a smooth-coat black and white!). I only paid $40 for her but she wasn't spayed so I had to foot that bill myself.

My second rescue dog kind of just fell into my hands, but she was through our local SPCA. Just filled out the paperwork, faxed it in, went and paid for her and all was done. They always "threatened" with house visits (we've done 3 adoptions through them), but have no time to actually follow up on them.

I've done the volunteer thing with rescues in the past. If you don't mind answering, why a young female?

I ask b/c most of the time when we saw that come in on an application, the fear was "they're going to try to breed her", esp. if the dog hadn't been spayed yet. If you haven't, try to include a line about why you want a female pup so they realize you're not trying to BYB/Puppymill a dog they've spent several hundred dollars on to keep out of that situation.

That said, rescues are also going to try to steer you toward dogs in the 3-5 years old range that are plenty young enough to enjoy a long life with you and deserving of great homes/second chances, but not as in demand as puppies. The idea that a dog can't be trained if it's too old, etc. is false in 99% of cases, assuming the owner is willing to work with the dog they *have* v. the dog they think they want.

It sucks that their customer service has been so poor, but I'll add my "don't give up on a second chance dog!" to the pile too. All I can say from the perspective of a former crazy rescue lady is that you get so tied up with each one, you want to do the absolute best for them, and that can lead to blind spots when it comes to finding them all good homes.

Well, actually, my husband wanted a puppy. He has never owned a dog in his entire life (he's 31) and he wanted the "whole experience." I have owned many dogs throughout my life and most of them came to me as puppies. I explained to him how much work is involved with dogs in general, but ESPECIALLY puppies, so we agreed that we could broaden the search to include young females. We'd still like her to be under two years old because we want to enjoy a long time with her. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a young dog. All of our pets are female because my husband doesn't like male pets. I think he had a bad experience with one and so he prefers female animals...again...I don't see anything wrong with that. My mom only likes male dogs...to each is own. I am definitely aware of how high energy this pup may be, my mom raised nordic breeds and they had boundless energy...to us, that is a good thing! I think any rescue that does not spay or neuter before adopting out would be really irresponsible...I certainly do NOT want to breed and I didn't even think about saying such a thing to a rescue. They should spay/neuter prior to adoption. For the record, this pup is spayed. Anyway...so far so good...hopefully this one will have a happy ending with us :)

Oh my Bree is adorable.

I had the same experience with a rescue when I was trying to adopt a cat a few years ago. They wouldn't give me the time of day when I showed up for their mobile cat adoption day. Very frustrating and demeaning.

I have my fingers crossed for you too!

I realize 90% of people wouldn't go to a rescue looking for a dog to breed, but it's that 10% that ruin it for everyone. :( Most dogs that leave a rescue are spayed/neutered before they go, but some vets still won't fix puppies under a certain size/weight or age-- and the kind of people that *would* breed a rescue dog realize that, hence why the request might make application reviewers think twice. As personal as it feels, it really isn't about you and your family, but their own worries and fears for the dog in question.

Personally I'm like your mother; I prefer male dogs with a medium to low energy level (my dream dog is a nice mellow Pibble/Am Staff mix or something lazy from the Hound group). Bree would *not* be my choice of dog simply b/c I don't run or bike, etc. and wouldn't be able to keep her busy enough to be happy. You're right that there's nothing inherently wrong with preferring one sex over another in a pet (I have all male chins too), but without the why behind that preference, an application reviewer is going to assume the worst when it comes to dog rescue. They see the worst "humanity" has to offer when many of those pets come in, and it's hard to forget some of those nightmare situations when adopters come calling. :( I'm sorry that makes it harder for you and the other good pet people out there, but without harsher animal cruelty penalties, there's always going to be a horror story fresh in the mind of every rescue organization.

Bree sounds like what you're looking for, and I wish you the best of luck in getting her home with you. It's a point in your favor that you have experience with northern breeds; that coat is going to be a handful, especially coupled with the kind of energy that'll send her head-first into mud puddles and brier patches. But what a cutie pie!

I think it's great for rescues to be picky, and I am not downplaying the importance of finding a GOOD home, it's just that I feel maybe in some cases dogs are being prevented from going into good homes due to too much strictness. Anyways, I just ordered a 30lb bag of Canidae PURE Elements from PetcareRX...I had some pet points in my account so it ended up only costing $37 AND I got a one cent rope toy! What a deal. This type of food is normally $50 a bag here. Now it's just a waiting game to hear whether or not we are approved.

Have you had a home visit? I've done HVs for rescues before and know that a good app can be ruined by something in the HV. From what you've said, you sound like a good candidate.

I know rescue can be frustrating - my pit is a rescue - but in the end it's so worthwhile.

I can't think of anything that would ruin it for us during a home visit. Our house is very safe and updated...we also live in a very nice suburban neighborhood. I don't think there will be a home visit for "Bree" but I'd be happy to let them come and see that we have a suitable environment for a dog.

Latest posts

Back