What Are You Currently Reading?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read many of Nora Roberts book - including 'Montana Sky" - I can't put her books down until I am finished. Her trilogies are excellent My favorite is 'The Sign of Seven' starting with 'Blood Brothers'

I'm stttttiiiiill trying to finish Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. hamilton. Gotta get done and move on! (I never read 2 books at once, I always have to finish one before I move onto another)

I'm re-reading a series by Steve Alten called Meg, I'm on the second book called Trench, next is Primal Waters, and the whole reason I'm re-reading these books is because May 19th, the 4th installment comes out!! yay!! www.stevealten.com
he's a really great author and he's a nice guy too, he always personally answers e-mails, check out this best seller!!

If you like his work, you should check Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series.

I LOVE the Anita Blake books! They're sooo great! I think that's why I fell in love with the twilight series as well, gotta love those sexy vampires!!!
There's a bunch of quick reads by this girl Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, it starts with In The Forests Of the Night, they're only like 200 pages but they're GREAT

I just picked up the book Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty. It is not the type of thing I usually read, but my friend highly recommended it. She has a tendency to suggest books that I normally wouldn't look twice at, but end up completely changing my life, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

If you guys love Twilight and Anita Blake, Check out the black dagger brotherhood. I was a diehard twilight fan, and LOVED the Anita Blake series until the last few books...but the BDB blows them away.

Megan, what are the books about? I love Anita Blake, but the Twilight books are the worst things I've ever willingly subjected myself to.

In short, they are a book about Vampires. It's actually hard to describe the book, without making myself sound like a total loser here... but I'll give it a shot.

It's a "romance vampire book", similar to the twilight books in the sense that "vampires fall in love", similar to the Anita Blake books because there is a ton of sex in it--but its not meaningless sex like in those books. The books are written amazingly, and you really get to know the characters. It feels almost as if you know them in "real life", especially if you join and read the forums for the books. The author has an entire world drawn up, and it just sinks you right into the world. You fall in love with the characters. I am not a cryer, but I've sat here and laughed out loud, sat here and cried while reading these books.

I will admit, the first time I tried to read the first book(Dark Lover), I put it down after the 2nd chapter. Two years later, Peggy convinced me to try again that she just loved the series. I read the first 3 books(that I had at sitting here) in a matter of a few days, and ordered the last 3. I waited by the door everyday waiting for them to come, as soon as they got here I couldn't stop reading.

I finished True Love and Other Disasters by Rachel Gibson and LOVED it!!!! Sunday I will read Lover Avenged (Revehnge's story) in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.
May is a BIG month for me. I have 12 books by "keeper" authors coming out! I can't wait!!!!

Megan, what are the books about? I love Anita Blake, but the Twilight books are the worst things I've ever willingly subjected myself to.

Wow Rebecca, you are seriously the FIRST person I have ever heard say they didn't like the Twilight series, guess nothing is perfect lol

I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers yesterday. I am just starting The Tipping Point, also by Gladwell.

I would recommend them to anyone. There are a lot of very deep and intellectual theories and ideas, but the writing style is easily accessible and manageable. The high school I just finished my teaching placement at is using Outliers as part of the curriculum for grade ten, as well as it being the book of the month with the Book Club.

American Gods by the wonderfully talented Neil Gaiman. The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen (for school) and Namaah's Kiss by the usually exceptional, sometimes iffy Jacqueline Carey.

Wow Rebecca, you are seriously the FIRST person I have ever heard say they didn't like the Twilight series, guess nothing is perfect lol

I can't stand Twilight, and I know many people who feel the same way. :nah:

If you like his work, you should check Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series.

I might be willing to try one of her early books, but I'm not really into lycanthropic sex, especially not gratuitous amounts of said sex. The Anita Blake series has never called out to me as something I need to read. :p

Last edited:
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

I'm reading the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. It is a wonderful series about a female detective in Botswana and includes both her cases and personal endeavors. It has a special meaning for me since I was just in Botswana in June.

The charming television series based on the books and starring Jill Scott is coming to DVD in the US on September 8, 2009.

American Gods by the wonderfully talented Neil Gaiman.

Love Neil Gaiman! Have you read Good Omens with Terry Pratchett? He's one of my favorite authors of all time, and they make SUCH an awesome team. In fact, a friend just recently sent me a picture you'll like, showing how the book was written.

Neil plotting and Terry scattering jokes:

GO_terryjokes.jpg

As for me, I just finished Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land (awesome! so deep, yet so fun. a true classic) and just started on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which seems very promising and I've had recommended to me by everyone from beatniks to doctorates in philosophy as being possibly the best book on philosophy ever written.

Latest posts

Back