West Coast 2010 Show

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoof- I showed the Chocolate boy but had to go to work right before he was judged! He is Ronda's Chin but she let me groom and enter him to let me get a feel for how showing chins works. I guess he did alright then if he was the only one in his class? :D

Hi, Chelsea,
He got a 2nd. They're not judged against the other chins in their class but on their own merits for color, clarity, density of fur, etc. Glad you could come for part of the show though.

Sue

Thanks for the update! I really enjoyed the show and learned a lot for the time I was there... which wasn't nearly long enough!!!

We all had a great time as well. My youngest boy also attended the show, and as luck would have it won @ the raffle again. He won a little ebony male, and needed a "buddy" for him so came home with one more... Every chin of Ronda's that he helped groom feel asleep in his lap! Thanks to Ronda's generosity I finally have some Homo Beige!

Attachments

• DSCN1135[1].JPG
    DSCN1135[1].JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1183.JPG
    DSCN1183.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 38
In reply to Tabitha's questions about announcing the owner of the animal: it wasn't being "announced," the owner did not put the animal down on their paperwork. In other words, Claire, our secretary, did not have that cage number written on any of the entry sheets. It's important that you fill out your paperwork with all your animals listed not only to allow the chapter to be paid properly but you can't receive credit for your ribbon if an animal is not listed. My sheets that I write down the classifications on do not have owner information. The official entry sheet is what we work off for awards. It's better if you fill that out before you come and have all your animals listed and then you just have to fill in the cage card numbers and won't miss one of your animals.

You are most welcome to ask any questions. It takes thousands of dollars to put on a show and what comes in will fund next year's show. We're a small chapter, only about five years old. This is only Claire's & my third show and we're learning just as you all are. We're really new to this, but we'll keep going.

The venue was what it was, space is extremely expensive to rent for something like this. It actually is really good to have the public exposure that we had with the Hotel and the huge festival that was going on across the street. It brings "chinchillas" to the public where we're still pretty unknown. So next year we'll have a bigger space and hopefully we'll double in size again!!

Nice job everyone,

In reply to Tabitha's questions about announcing the owner of the animal: it wasn't being "announced," the owner did not put the animal down on their paperwork. In other words, Claire, our secretary, did not have that cage number written on any of the entry sheets. It's important that you fill out your paperwork with all your animals listed not only to allow the chapter to be paid properly but you can't receive credit for your ribbon if an animal is not listed. My sheets that I write down the classifications on do not have owner information. The official entry sheet is what we work off for awards. It's better if you fill that out before you come and have all your animals listed and then you just have to fill in the cage card numbers and won't miss one of your animals.

To me, the breeder/exhibitor's name being said loudly enough to be heard across the room and by the judge is announcing it. I understand it was necessary to find the animal on the forms to be able to award points, but was there no better way to do it? If it's better to have forms filled out ahead of time, are they available for members and non-members alike ahead of the show?

This is just a suggestion, I don't want to come off as trying to tell you guys how to run your shows. At the ECBC shows we have a sheet where we will write down what cage numbers are given to each person. This helps if someone filled out their sheet(s) wrong we can call them to the table to correct it without announcing them publicly at the show. We also make this sheet available to everyone attending the show so they know who to ask about certain animals after the show.

You are most welcome to ask any questions. It takes thousands of dollars to put on a show and what comes in will fund next year's show. We're a small chapter, only about five years old. This is only Claire's & my third show and we're learning just as you all are. We're really new to this, but we'll keep going.

Is there something like a general manager for MCBA? A person that runs the MCBA national office? I'm not trying to compare organizations...I'm just going based off of what I'm familiar with. We have Kathy Clark as our GM and I can ask her any questions I want about how shows are run or what I can improve on for our shows and what would be breaking the rules at our shows, etc. If there's someone like that for MCBA I'm sure they'd be happy to help you guys out since it sounds like you guys were thrown into running the shows with little to no help.

The venue was what it was, space is extremely expensive to rent for something like this.

That is what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. Like I said, I've never been to an MCBA show and I wasn't sure if things were done differently or if this was just a learning experience for everyone. Thank you for answering some of my questions.

Every chin of Ronda's that he helped groom feel asleep in his lap!
I wondered who he was! Here is another chin he'd coaxed into complete relaxation. Wish the photos weren't so blurry, she'd sunk into her own fat rolls and it was pretty cute.

He did a very good job, will he be bringing his own next year to show?

Attachments

• Sleeping.jpg
    Sleeping.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
It was a great show, about 180 animals which is twice what we had last year. As big as the room was we were out of space. So next year we will need a barn. Much thanks to all who came, it will guarantee another show next year.

:thumbsup:

I've been attending shows for various small animals for a good 15 years and running some of them for the past 10 years, and I think you did a superb job. Having double the expected entries is one of the hardest situations to deal with on the fly, and you did it very gracefully. We even started on time. I congratulate you on a great show!

I was also very happy you were willing to let the show run late instead of speeding up the judging and reducing the amount that all of us learned. Jack Humphreys is the third chin judge I've listened to, and I definitely learned things at this show that I hadn't learned at other shows. He did a great job and was so professional in his comments of strengths and weaknesses. I'd love to see another show where he's judging.

Sumiko, I'm not sure you saw, but the judge's wife won your chinchilla pendant. She was thrilled with it.

And to whomever donated the hammocks, thank you! A couple of my chins will be very happy with their new cage addition.

Thank you Sue and Claire! You didn't get a single break from when the doors opened until they were closed and did a great job even with double the expected number of animals. You and everyone else were very friendly to all of us newcomers. I really appreciate it and enjoyed myself.

Linda

To me, the breeder/exhibitor's name being said loudly enough to be heard across the room and by the judge is announcing it. I understand it was necessary to find the animal on the forms to be able to award points, but was there no better way to do it? If it's better to have forms filled out ahead of time, are they available for members and non-members alike ahead of the show?

Yes, there is. They are on the MCBA website, under "forms."

This is just a suggestion, I don't want to come off as trying to tell you guys how to run your shows. At the ECBC shows we have a sheet where we will write down what cage numbers are given to each person. This helps if someone filled out their sheet(s) wrong we can call them to the table to correct it without announcing them publicly at the show. We also make this sheet available to everyone attending the show so they know who to ask about certain animals after the show.

This is typically done at all MCBA shows. There are xerox copies available once the registration is done and it shows that numbers 1-12 belong to Tunes, 13-45 belong to Becky, etc. This chapter is newer and may not have known that, or they may not have had access to a Xerox machine in order to make and distribute the copies. I'm sure it's hard when you're way across the country from your organizations home base. Most people seem to stick to their "side" of the country with MCBA and ECBC, with a line running down the center of the country. When the WI chapter started, they had all attended many of the shows that were around for years before they started their own chapter. It must be hard for Sue and her group to be kind of hanging in the wind out there. They can ask questions, but I'm sure it's much better to be able to see the show set up and run from the ground up. So does it really matter if they were announced? Everybody would have known who it was by the sheet anyway. It's not like there's any privacy when it comes to showing. Everybody knows who everybody is anyway. I don't think this would have bothered many people.

Is there something like a general manager for MCBA? A person that runs the MCBA national office? I'm not trying to compare organizations...I'm just going based off of what I'm familiar with. We have Kathy Clark as our GM and I can ask her any questions I want about how shows are run or what I can improve on for our shows and what would be breaking the rules at our shows, etc. If there's someone like that for MCBA I'm sure they'd be happy to help you guys out since it sounds like you guys were thrown into running the shows with little to no help.

I think you've seen Becky answer pretty much any MCBA related question on here. She's on the board. Brenda Walters, who is a member here, is also on the board, as is PJK. Barring that, you could always go to the website and look up the officers and contact them. All you have to do is go to the site and click on "our organization."

I've been to shows from both organizations many times, though admittedly more times MCBA. All the shows always seem well run, even if at times a bit hectic (like when Ralph had a gallbladder attack during the Wisconsin show one year and had to have it removed when he got home!), but with everybody pulling together the show came off without a hitch. I'm betting that Sue and her group will have it nailed next time with a little cooperation and some volunteers from out of the show attendees. :)

Um yeah, duh - kinda forgot to mention the big cheese at MCBA, Randy (JAGS) is on here too.

I have been to many, many shows, both ECBC and MCBA. They are set up virtually the same. The differences are classification and MCBA runs one show and ECBC divide them into two shows. Spaces for shows are all different and you just have to make things work!

The board of directors can all be asked questions by the people putting on the shows. We have a secretary (ECBC calls it a general manager) and we have people that work with the chapters. They will all answer questions when asked.

Finding judges for shows (both ECBC and MCBA) is hard! There are not very many available, and if you have one come from a long way away, it is expensive. Most chapters can't afford the cost. You will see the same judge over and over in an area, because there are so few to choose from. I prefer a judge that still has animals. Those are even harder to find!

No show is perfect! Chapters that have been around a long time have it down to a science, for the most part. Newer Chapters struggle more. More power to them, though, for putting on shows!

BTW- MCBA sends a person out to a new chapter when they have their first show. That is a huge help, but often the people in charge change and some of the "details" are forgotten.

Awww, I'm glad Jack's wife won the pendant. :)

A sheet with a list of all the exhibitors and their blocks of cage numbers would be really helpful for next year. I didn't know whose animals took 1st place, color phase champ, section champ, etc. other than those who were sitting with me since only the male/female champions and grand show champions were announced. I am used to the exhibitor's name being announced once the animal is out of competition. Having a list would help for those looking to buy also. Jolene was looking to buy some chins and had to track all the owners down and it would have made it easier if she could reference a sheet. That would be helpful to hand out at the next show.

I'm hoping to come next year, with a larger string as well. I'm sure it will run much more smoothly. It's a learning experience.

Thanks Becky and Peggy, that answers a lot!

Next year when we attend I'll offer to help if they seem overly hassled like they did at this show and ask questions if something confuses me. Like I said, I didn't feel comfortable asking questions at the show since everyone seemed so busy and I didn't want to hold up the show with questions.

I don't care if breeders are announced so long as they are done judging the animal. While the animals are being judged I just feel better not having the names announced so the judge can hear them.

The classification system and the majority of the judging didn't bother me. The only thing I didn't like was an animal chewed on both hips taking a third.:confused: I understood the classification system after the third or fourth class had been judged. The whites took forever, lol!

I do have to say though, the show books were absolutely awesome, so thank you Sue and Claire for that. There was a lot of things in there that helped me understand how the classification system works and some of the MCBA rules.

Next year when we attend I'll offer to help if they seem overly hassled like they did at this show and ask questions if something confuses me. Like I said, I didn't feel comfortable asking questions at the show since everyone seemed so busy and I didn't want to hold up the show with questions.

I did ask the judge a few questions during the show (not as many as I have at California shows), but when I had concerns about the show, I wrote them down and passed the note to Sue. She quickly came back to me, and we took care of it without really disrupting the show. I thought she did a really good job of running the show given the extra challenges.

I don't care if breeders are announced so long as they are done judging the animal. While the animals are being judged I just feel better not having the names announced so the judge can hear them.

I saw this too but didn't think it was a big deal. As you know, at the last California show, Gary (the judge) went around talking to you and everyone else for a couple of hours as you groomed your animals. He clearly saw which animals were attached to which exhibitor, so I didn't think it was a big deal at Empress shows either if the judge knew whose animals they were when judging because I saw it was occurring with both clubs.

The classification system and the majority of the judging didn't bother me. The only thing I didn't like was an animal chewed on both hips taking a third.:confused: I understood the classification system after the third or fourth class had been judged.

I wish you had come up while we were classifying animals. As you well know, my show experience with chins is limited. When they needed help, though, I volunteered to help classify and learn at the same time. It was a great experience -- everything I could have hoped for in attending this show especially because I had no animals with me. You could have joined us for any part of the classifying, and you would have seen first hand how they were classified and Sue's system for setting them up for the show. I'm always interested in how other clubs set things up. I figure there are always improvements we can make, so we take the best of what we see others do and incorporate it into our shows.

I actually explained the classification process in brief to quite a few attendees. I don't know who they were, but various people came up and asked how the show was set up. I could tell them the animals were separated by color from light to dark, then each color was set up light to dark within the color, and then each of those classes was divided into junior and senior male and female. I actually thought it was a bit funny that people came to me with questions considering it was my first MCBA show, but I could answer most of their questions and pointed them to the table for the rest.

I'd encourage you to get involved with the classification process next time.
Linda

I wondered who he was! Here is another chin he'd coaxed into complete relaxation. Wish the photos weren't so blurry, she'd sunk into her own fat rolls and it was pretty cute.

He did a very good job, will he be bringing his own next year to show?

He did bring one chin, but it was his PW girl for the baby derby. Last year he brought a ebony white of his that took a 1st. He's already hooked!
I have more pictures, but Ronda would probably shoot me! LOL <evil grin>

As for the show. I want to give a HUGE thank you to Sue and Claire who worked their butts off! Just a suggestion, but maybe name tags, with name or ranchers name? I had no idea who half the people where! Unfortuantly for us everything was a huge rush, since we were late coming in, so didn't get a chance to introduce myself to anyone before the show.

I did ask the judge a few questions during the show (not as many as I have at California shows), but when I had concerns about the show, I wrote them down and passed the note to Sue. She quickly came back to me, and we took care of it without really disrupting the show. I thought she did a really good job of running the show given the extra challenges.

I have to admit...I have rarely if ever heard you ask questions at the CA shows. I have heard the judges on numerous occasions at our shows ask if anyone in the audience has questions or would like to come for a closer look, but I haven't seen you participate as readily as you did at this show. Just my observation, I guess.

I saw this too but didn't think it was a big deal. As you know, at the last California show, Gary (the judge) went around talking to you and everyone else for a couple of hours as you groomed your animals. He clearly saw which animals were attached to which exhibitor, so I didn't think it was a big deal at Empress shows either if the judge knew whose animals they were when judging because I saw it was occurring with both clubs.

The October show was purely for education. If you also noticed, Gary did not come over when we had animals on our laps, did not look at the animals or comment on them before the show. Margot helped me groom a couple of animals and Gary walked over during that time...but there were several other people around me and the animal could have belonged to anyone. So Gary did not know whose animals belonged to who, he showed genuine surprise when the champions were read off.

I wish you had come up while we were classifying animals. As you well know, my show experience with chins is limited. When they needed help, though, I volunteered to help classify and learn at the same time. It was a great experience -- everything I could have hoped for in attending this show especially because I had no animals with me. You could have joined us for any part of the classifying, and you would have seen first hand how they were classified and Sue's system for setting them up for the show. I'm always interested in how other clubs set things up. I figure there are always improvements we can make, so we take the best of what we see others do and incorporate it into our shows.

Like I said, I was not completely comfortable at this show. I didn't want to push my way into classifications or have anyone feeling like I was trying to dictate how to run the show. If I had been asked (Sumiko, Shahna and I all introduced ourselves to Sue and Claire before the show started) I would have been more than happy to help. Generally, I try to stay out of the way so that the things that need done can get done without an extra set of hands messing with things they're unfamiliar with. And since you are also familiar with Sumiko and myself it would have been easy to ask us if you really wanted our help.

I actually explained the classification process in brief to quite a few attendees. I don't know who they were, but various people came up and asked how the show was set up. I could tell them the animals were separated by color from light to dark, then each color was set up light to dark within the color, and then each of those classes was divided into junior and senior male and female. I actually thought it was a bit funny that people came to me with questions considering it was my first MCBA show, but I could answer most of their questions and pointed them to the table for the rest.

The classification was confusing at best. I didn't understand how the standards were broken up or why obviously lighter animals were with the dark standard group, but I didn't do classification and was at lunch when the standards were done. I guess I'll have to pay closer attention next time. Getting the hang of what 1a, 1b, color phase champion, color section champion, etc. meant was where I had a bit of trouble. I figured it out after the first couple of classes and got it further cleared up talking to a couple of forum members yesterday who regularly attend MCBA shows.

Last edited:
If you also noticed, Gary did not come over when we had animals on our laps, did not look at the animals or comment on them before the show. Margot helped me groom a couple of animals and Gary walked over during that time...but there were several other people around me and the animal could have belonged to anyone. So Gary did not know whose animals belonged to who, he showed genuine surprise when the champions were read off.

It's interesting how two people can attend the same show and see such dramatically different things.

And since you are also familiar with Sumiko and myself it would have been easy to ask us if you really wanted our help.

I'm sorry I was unclear. We didn't need help with classification. When those of us doing it had varying opinions, we read the documentation, discussed our logic for placement, and came to a common conclusion. My only thought was that you could better understand the process by being part of the process or even observing the process in action in the future. I thought our process worked well, and we were able to come to an agreement on everything. Having an additional participant would have given us an additional opinion and would not have detracted from the process (and might have even strengthened it).
Linda

He's already hooked!

As for the show. I want to give a HUGE thank you to Sue and Claire who worked their butts off! Just a suggestion, but maybe name tags, with name or ranchers name? I had no idea who half the people where!

River was great! Helping Ronda out with grooming and helping out with clean up of show cages and chairs after the show.

Name tags would be very nice. I knew some folks I've met before...Christine and River, Ronda, Tara, Elisa, and the Craners, but everyone else I just kind of listened for names (or asked if I had a chance to actually talk to them).

I remembered that I had my camera after lunch and will try to post some pictures tomorrow or Friday.

I finally got around to uploading pictures. I didn't remember I had the camera until after lunch so I missed the judging of the whites, beiges, violets, and the one sapphire, but I got some of them sitting on the sidelines. I don't think I got any pictures of people other than our judge, mostly just chins...lol.

First up...this is the only one I don't have a cage number for, but he/she sure was cute:
cutewhite.jpg

Cage 24 - Awesome markings! Judge wasn't quite sure what to do with him. He was for sale. Don't know if he sold or who he belonged to, but if 'he' were a 'she' I would have loved to snatch him up. He took a first place.
cage24.jpg

cage24_2.jpg

Back