West Coast 2010 Show

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know the exact count on animals, but we ran out of cages. They originally had 180 and ran out before we finished grooming our mutations. Definitely well over 200.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who helped us groom! Especially with the mess of not having enough show cages. Alison's dad is the happy looking one. :D

Some random photos, chins over every available surface and all over the floor on the standard side.

Attachments

• Grooming.jpg
    Grooming.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Grooming2.jpg
    Grooming2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Grooming3.jpg
    Grooming3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 38
  • StandardsBVs.jpg
    StandardsBVs.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Mutes.jpg
    Mutes.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
We left at 4 am from OR this morning to get to the show and groom all our chins. Sarah, Tabitha, Shahna, and I all carpooled together.

This is a long show! It's 3:30 and we're still going!

We are taking a break before the standards are judged and I'm happy to see a lot of standards... there's got to be close to 75 or more. I have 10 standards competing and am anxiously awaiting for the judging to start. It doesn't help that we're all running on just a few hours of sleep (or less!)

It's been nice to put faces to a lot of the Pac. Northwest forum members too!

It was an awesome show! Soo many chins...there were a lot of tables for chins, but we still ran out of room and many ended up on the floor.

I brought four girls, 3 standards and a Brown Velvet. I wasn't expecting too much as they all started blowing fur like crazy in the past couple weeks, but we did well! My two young standard sisters both got a 1st (one went home with Jol3n3). Their older sister took Female Section Champion. And Tesla (who is now Peggy's) took Reserve Color Phase Champion.

Big thanks to our judge! He was great about commenting on each animal and explaining why each animal placed where they did.

Huge thanks to Sue and Claire for organizing the show and taking time to make it all happen.

Congrats to River, Elisa, Jolene, and someone else on taking home raffle chins!

Alison's dad is the happy looking one.

Lol...great pic of Dad attempting to groom. He did ok. I don't think I've ever groomed so many chins in one sitting...and I didn't really do all that many. Fur was flying everywhere! Thank goodness for lint rollers and vacuum cleaners.

Hi, this is Alison's Mom. Glad everyone enjoyed the show. And yes, Steve was happy to be there fiddling with all the critters. LOL I stayed home and took care of all Alison's other critters.

Don't worry Alie, I'm walking the dogs everyday. Meg and Bear did a lot of 'sit' 'stay' 'OK' today. ;)

Congrats to everyone for making this a great show. We have some wonderful chins this year. As Tara mentioned, we ran out of cages after 150. But we were very lucky to have Kristine from Canada, able to make it down and bring us the rest of our cages. With such a big show, it will take me a bit to gather all the results. But I will get them posted as soon as I can.

Jack definitely did an awesome job and was very descriptive. I imagine his arms were hurting afterwards, there were some HUGE chins in this show.

Ronda says she got home and it took her five hours to unpack, she just got to bed an hour ago.

Lol...great pic of Dad attempting to groom. He did ok. I don't think I've ever groomed so many chins in one sitting...and I didn't really do all that many. Fur was flying everywhere!

She says thanks you guys did an awesome job, she took the naturalle breeder award!

Also, the hotel staff was very nice and it was a beautiful hall. Who built the show lights? Cudos to them, that was pretty ingenious!

We are currently on our way home to California now! Poor Tabitha probably won't get home until 1 am. We had a great time though. We will try to bring full show strings next year!

The exhibitors other than Grand Show, Reserve, and Champ and Reserve Male/Female weren't read off so I don't know all the show results. I do have our results though and can post those.

I brought 10 animals:
X-14 (Marina) - Bg F - Reserve Phase Champion
X-13 (Lola) - Bg F - Color Section Champion
X-3(Butterscotch) - Bg M - Color Phase Champion

Z-4 (Minnie) - Md Std F - 1A
Z-2 (Daisy) - Md Dk Std F - 1A
Z-1 (Pip) - Dk Std M - 1B
Z-3 (Kip) - Dk Med Std M - Color Phase Champion
X-8(Rupert) - X Dk M - Color Phase Champion
X-10 - Dk Std M - Section Champion
X-11 - X Dk Std M - 1st place

Shahna (Ridge Chinchillas) - 4 animals:
Hope - Black velvet F - Grand Show Champion (Champion Female of Show)
Kira - Dark Ebony F - Section Champion
Captain - White w/dark guard hair M - Color Phase Champion
Chowder - Pink White M - 1st
Shahna's son's chin, Sweetheart - Bg v/c F - 2nd - out of prime, color can't stand up to the other beiges

Tabitha (RDZC) - 4 animals:
Z-8 - Black velvet female - 1A
X-23 - Med Dk Std F - Reserve Section Champion
X-24 - Std M - 2nd - out of prime, slightly open at hips
Z-9 - Std M - 2nd - out of prime, open on hips

Also congrats to Ryan on his top awards (sorry, I can't remember what colors and the exact placings! They were excellent though!).

Chester, an adorable violet male rescue also got to go to his new loving home yesterday with Vanessa!

Last edited:
Thanks Sumiko! It was a great experience meeting some of the breeders and my head is still trying to wrap around all the judging criteria and the virtual Home Depot paint selection for "shades of grey" that is the Naturalle color section :hair:

Yeah, I only brought three animals I purchased from Linda of Cascade Chinchillas and Amanda of Meadowbrook Chinchillas to get a guage on quality and to see what I should be striving for before I start breeding chins. Linda's BV girl took a 1st, Amanda's PW took Reserve Champ Male and her Extra Dark Ebony took Reserve Grand Show Champ. I honestly couldnt believe it! Now I am just trying to figure out what my goals will be in breeding. A lot to think about.

Anyhow, thank you to the breeders who introduce themselves and chatted with me! I guess for the next MBCA show I am supposed to start breeding chins today? :hilarious:

Congrats Ryan! You've got a great start there. You were in the middle of the room so I have quite a few photos of you grooming your ebony. Maybe start with a nice violin quartet, some champagne and a romantic evening to get the girls in the mood.... :D

my head is still trying to wrap around all the judging criteria and the virtual Home Depot paint selection for "shades of grey" that is the Naturalle color section

Yours and mine! I got asked to sort so I snagged Linda and off we went. I haven't been to enough MCBA shows to know what the criteria for the light, medium light, medium, medium dark, dark, extra dark are, so ended up sorting them into light, medium, dark and extra dark.

Certainly had a lot of standards to chose from, and was really shocked to see so many. In the past it has been mostly mutations.

It was also nice to meet both Claires from Spokane, since we talk about you guys so much.... :rofl:

Did anyone know who the young lady was that groomed and showed the one Chocolate? I didn't catch her name, and I think she had to leave before the show even got started.... little guy was the only tan in the show.

Anyone else have pictures? I saw someone taking them with a pretty nice camera...

Yes, the picture guy was my husband and I'll post as soon as he can make me a CD. His battery was dead and needed to charge yesterday.

Also, Claire Russell is out of town this week but will post the full results as soon as she's back and can delve into the papers.

It was a great show, about 180 animals which is twice what we had last year. As big as the room was we were out of space. So next year we will need a barn. Much thanks to all who came, it will guarantee another show next year.

:thumbsup:

Ryan,
If you're on here and could email me your address, I have your Champion Male trophy. So let me know & I'll mail it to you.

Sue

Since this was my first MCBA show...I have a couple questions. I didn't get a chance to ask them after the show because everyone was so busy and we were in a hurry to get out of there after the 7pm ending.

Is it common practice at these shows to announce the breeder of an animal in the middle of judging? I saw this happen quite a few times and even with one of my own animals. I know at the CA shows you can't announce the breeder of an animal until it's out of competition.

Is it normal to have the cage numbers facing the judge or visible to the judge before judging has ended? At any show I've been to in the past the numbers are facing the crowd at all times because breeders have consecutive numbers and many of the judges have been around long enough that figuring out whose chinchillas are whose is easy.

Are the tables of chinchillas for the show supposed to be out in the open where anyone can see and/or mess with the chinchillas during the show or was this time just because of the small room? I noticed when the whites were being judged, a hotel employee came in with her two sons that were eating apples and they were poking at the whites.

I know you know the answer to these, but I'll post because Sue put a lot into this with really no return. It's a lot of work to set up these shows.

Is it common practice at these shows to announce the breeder of an animal in the middle of judging?
No, but she didn't know that, and the judge didn't know anybody in the room but me by name and I wasn't showing so it wasn't a big deal. It would have been acceptable to politely mention that they shouldn't do it and they would've stopped. For time constraints though... and for people who couldn't figure out how to do the paperwork...it's what got done.

Is it normal to have the cage numbers facing the judge or visible to the judge before judging has ended?

Jack is an NCBC judge, he didn't know and neither did Sue. We mentioned it politely and he changed it at the beige class and publicly apologized saying that he didn't know they were supposed to face out.

Regarding the chinchillas being out - they worked with what they had. If it bothered you, you should have politely informed the people to please not be near those chins and pointed them off to the raffle or pet chins for sale to poke at.

You make the show what it is, if you have a problem you have to speak up. I'm sure you noticed that they immediately fixed everything we mentioned. Jack even apologized for several things as he didn't know any better.

Just have to lend a helping hand. :)) MCBA shows follow the same rules as ECBC, if you feel something is wrong just ask.

I know you know the answer to these,

If I knew the answers I wouldn't have asked. I have never been to an MCBA show so I was curious. The only thing I've been to is the CA ECBC shows. I guess I should send the rest of my questions via PM to Sue since posting a question publicly is offensive? I didn't feel comfortable asking Sue or Claire questions at the show or during the show(they were extremely busy). Ronda was busy keeping track of her entire show string and getting everyone groomed so I also didn't get a chance to ask her. Either way...I asked other members that regularly attend MCBA shows in chat and they answered my questions without attitude.

Overall it was not a bad show and I hope to attend again next year. I guess I'll have to remember to ask questions in the middle of judging and the middle of the show when everyone is busy and hassled.

Back