The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just set up my new FN and I LOVE IT! It is the best cage ever and I am soooo happy I purchased it -- worth every cent! I have the 143 as well -- so 3 levels. I have the Bass pans too.

I use Aspen on the bottom unit only, and fleece liners on the top two. My 3 boys seem pretty well potty trained, and go down to the Aspen to pee (they also have a litter box they use as well). I find this arrangement is working very well for me! Will post pix as soon as I am through interior designing!

Easy solution - get some eye screws and screw UP into the wood shelves where you want to hang a toy or hammock or whatever, then attach the whatever to those eye screws using clips, snap hooks, or tiny carabiners.

Something similar to this - EYE SCREW

Just make sure that the length of the screw part is shorter than the depth of your shelf so it doesn't screw all the way thru the shelf and come out on the top side. :)

Oh good, I had thought of using something like that but wasn't sure it was safe. Thank you so much!

I use Aspen on the bottom unit only, and fleece liners on the top two. My 3 boys seem pretty well potty trained, and go down to the Aspen to pee (they also have a litter box they use as well). I find this arrangement is working very well for me!

I was hoping to do the same with my two levels; fleece on top and shavings on the bottom. Glad to hear its working for someone. Hopefully my chins are on board with this plan!

I'm ready to get my FN in.. I ordered the 142 from www.kennelvet.com last wednesday and they still have not even shipped it yet! They said it ships within 2-4 days, that's a lie... anyone ever ordered from them before?

Tomorrow my fleece liners should come in :dance3: which means I can take pictures of my finished FN cage. I'm sooo excited! I want to show you what we made for the cage.

okay okay I finnally broke... I bought the FN for my fuzzybutt. I wanted one for xmas/my birthday, and got $125. Doing more searching on prices after showing a friend this thread I discovered Kennelvet.com had one that including shipping was 190 and asked my fiancee if I could take some money out of the savings. This way it is delivered and I dont have to worry about asking someone with a truck to get the one thats 150 an hour away. Pictures comming soon! Ohh and this also means that I can get my birthday present he promised me of a beige.... hehehehe... :bliss::chin3:err after my month of no spending!

....I was hoping to do the same with my two levels; fleece on top and shavings on the bottom. Glad to hear its working for someone. Hopefully my chins are on board with this plan!

I initially tried that too...then tried the tall but small casserole dish filled with shavings in one of the corners of the bottom level and low-and-behold the little devils used it! And that's ALL they used for peeing. So...each and every day, I just empty out the dish and replenish it with new shavings. It's soo much easier and tidier that way. :)

I initially tried that too...then tried the tall but small casserole dish filled with shavings in one of the corners of the bottom level and low-and-behold the little devils used it! And that's ALL they used for peeing. So...each and every day, I just empty out the dish and replenish it with new shavings. It's soo much easier and tidier that way. :)

Right now chiechie uses a dish full of kdp shavings too, for pee anyways you know they cant help where they number 2. Do you put a fleece liner in the bottom and the corner dish on top of that to help keep the rest clean? Im trying to figure out how I am going to do this thing ^.^

This would be ideal, I just don't have confidence that my chins are as smart as yours (shhh... don't tell them that). I am hoping to ultimately switch them to a litter pan, but make the transition gradually. I'd hate to invest in a bunch of fleece liners and have them pee all over them.

I keep telling my husband I'm almost done spending so much money on the chins, but it never really stops does it? :p If they weren't so stinkin' cute...

Here's my FN Cage!!

IMG_0527.jpg

The Pirate Ship "above the water"
IMG_0522.jpg

"Under the Sea"
IMG_0525.jpg

Thanks! My future father-in-law and his brother made it. Then I wood burned the planks on the side you see and the front.

We made the pee box out of some random poplar planks we had and I deemed it "the poop deck."

Right now chiechie uses a dish full of kdp shavings too, for pee anyways you know they cant help where they number 2. Do you put a fleece liner in the bottom and the corner dish on top of that to help keep the rest clean? Im trying to figure out how I am going to do this thing ^.^

Yes that's exactly how I do it. Fleece liner on the bottom tray with the tall casserole dish full of shavings in the back corner on top of the fleece. Helps hold the fleece down too. ;)

Brittiny, I absoultely adore your cage set up! It looks great and I love how you have it themed. Where did you get the pirate ship from?

Brittiny, I absoultely adore your cage set up! It looks great and I love how you have it themed. Where did you get the pirate ship from?

We (and by "we" I mean my future father-n-law:thumbsup: and his brother) made it from KD pine from Home Depot. I did all the "planks and screws" detailing. It's the width of 2 houses and is like 3 shelves/ledges.

Morgan Freeman loves the new cage, but Dr. D is still frightened of every thing and we had to put him in it. He's just starting to explore.

Does anyone keep 4 chins in a FN142. Like split, 2 on the top level and 2 on the bottom level? I feel like it wouldn't be enough space for 4 of them but I haven't seen one set up in person though!

I didn't see any browsing through the past 40 pages, lol.

Does anyone keep 4 chins in a FN142. Like split, 2 on the top level and 2 on the bottom level? I feel like it wouldn't be enough space for 4 of them but I haven't seen one set up in person though!

I didn't see any browsing through the past 40 pages, lol.

I have four of my girls together in an FN (open middle). I'm actually in the process of adding the 143 to it. I have the bottom two levels open, and then the third section with the cut-out pan, kind of like a pent house. They have plenty of room without it, but the bigger the better, right? I've never had two chins in the FN141 size though. I think it would be alright as long as they had some time out of the cage every now and then.

I'll try to get some pics when it's done.

brittiny, just when I think I've seen the most awesome setup, someone else comes along with something that makes my eyes pop out. Your cage looks amazing! It's so creative with the ship and colors. The suspension bridge looks like waves above the wheel and the cover on the tube is the clouds...very nicely done.

I have four of my girls together in an FN (open middle). I'm actually in the process of adding the 143 to it. I have the bottom two levels open, and then the third section with the cut-out pan, kind of like a pent house. They have plenty of room without it, but the bigger the better, right? I've never had two chins in the FN141 size though. I think it would be alright as long as they had some time out of the cage every now and then.

I'll try to get some pics when it's done.

Ya, I have 2 boys now and I was planning on upgrading to an FN142 once the Fiance and I get a house. I didn't plan on getting more chins but i've recently started looking at Ebonies and now I want one so bad! There is someone local that has one and he comes with a cage mate so thats why I ask.

My boys get out of cage play time almost every evening, if not, then its every other night and their cage now is about as tall as the 141 but about half the length and I feel the same, bigger the better. The fiance was hesitant about another chin or 2, let alone getting 2 FN142's at the moment!

Hopefully someone that has had 2 in a 141 sized cage can add some insight. I don't want them to feel cramped in there.

I think in your case it wouldn't be much of a problem, given that they have time out of the cage. Would you be able to keep the new chins in a separate cage until quarantine was over? You could always consider getting a second FN down the road when you have some more room. Until then, I don't think they'd be too cramped. I know what you mean about ebonies, they are pretty irresistible:))

Back