The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look through the pictures, esp in the beginning where there are a lot of them, most take them out.

I am a worry wart and there is too much for them to chew on and hurt themselves on for me with the mini shelves that come with them.

I ended up selling them (fast) on Craigs list :D

I don't have a ferret nation so I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading that the original plastic pans make more noise than the bass metal pans.

I was asking about what people do to the "balconies" -- the smaller interval half-shelves, not the bottom pans. For the bottoms, I've already purchased the Bass pans, and am having fleece liners made for those (which will let me try that or the aspen shavings to see what works best). I just hate to throw the balconies out (or sell them, they seem a great size) and wonder how they could be modified.

If the chinnies eat the fleece liners as fast as my rats did, they'll be living on Aspen! Within days of redoing everything in the ratties cage, it looks like rag city. But (sigh) they have so much fun destroying everything!

I used stick-on vinyl floor tiles on their (the rats') balconies, but I'm afraid the chins would chew them. Anyone tried it? The rats have not bothered them at all in over a year and they wash off so easily.

Actually so was I.

They have a plastic material as the landing pad. While the pan is a hard material, and works ok if you dont want metal ones, the thin sheet of plactic on the shelves can easily be chewed.

I know some have chins that are fleece chewers. Lil stinkers they are. Mine knock on wood have never done that.

LOL - It's amazing when you think about it -- we sit up all night and email each other for solutions as to how to outsmart rodents!

I started this post 35 pages ago, lol! If you look at my cages, I took out the original FN shelves and went with a long shelf on top, all the way across the cage, and some small ledges scattered around.
For the bottom I went with some small half shelves (still length wise) so that I could fit the Chin Spins on the side panels, and then I used ledges to make a staircase to the cut out hole between levels.
Hope that helps!!

And PS - don't feel bad, it took me almost 3 years to totally outsmart my chin Amy, she was the most cunning of the bunch! ;)

WOOOOO!! My FN came in yesterday (cagesdirect.com ftw took 4 days to come in), we're going get it this morning and the we're going to put that bad boy together. ^_^
This weekend we're going to try our hand at crafting their house.

The chins won't be able to move in until after Christmas though.

The plastic on those shelves is recessed inside of it's wire holder. Most chinchillas that I am aware of don't mess with them and a lot of chin owners that I've met in GA don't take them out. If it would make you feel better though you could cover them w/ fleece. I've seen members on here do that and it seemed to work fine for them.

totally off topic but if you get a new chinchilla and your gonna quarantine him then do you use a brand new cage (Hopefully i get a fn) or take your old cage clean it and put the new chin in that?I REALLY want a ferret nation. i planned the cage for weeks on a sheet of paper, which by the way is very difficult to visualize.

Admiring the "Chin home set-ups", I noticed the black wheels - Who makes them, are they quiet ?, and cost ? Thank you

totally off topic but if you get a new chinchilla and your gonna quarantine him then do you use a brand new cage (Hopefully i get a fn) or take your old cage clean it and put the new chin in that?I REALLY want a ferret nation. i planned the cage for weeks on a sheet of paper, which by the way is very difficult to visualize.

I've never had to quarantine a chinchilla before. I can make a good guess, but I'd suggest making a thread to get the best answers. There are so many people who could answer you for sure :D

Re: Fn

I am soon going to be a FN club member. I am going to buy my chinchilla, Phoenix, a FN cage tomorrow.

If anyone is interested, Petsmart is selling them for $179.99 the same as Ferret.com (where I was going to order by cage)

I am too a college student and a mother of a 2 year old so I don't have a lot of money but I have been surfing the web for FN cages including craigslist and hobbly but nothing has come my way yet but I am going to invest my fiances and my Christmas money on one tomorrow and is super excited and hope that they still have some when I get to T.C. tomorrow.

I definitely will probably need some help decorating and is thinking about investing in some of those fleece liners. Do you guys wash them with anything or just buy themselves? How many is a good number to have on hand?

Thanks everyone :)

I am going to invest my fiances and my Christmas money on one tomorrow and is super excited and hope that they still have some when I get to T.C. tomorrow.

sierra, you should call before you go so you aren't disappointed. i went to my petsmart three different times before they had one in stock!

FN

Yeah I will in the morning. We still will go but I will try to get a raincheck. I called them today and they said they were in stock so hopefully they will be tomorrow too. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

FN Club

Well I am officially a FN cage club member. I went to Petsmart and bought my cage. I was told that they didn't have anymore and was really upset but I just wanting to see if there were things that perhaps Phoenix would like and when I went to the counter to pay I asked for a raincheck and the lady had to have the number or something but they ended up having only one left and I was soo excited and mad that I was told that they didn't have anymore.

I bought it and I put it together at my brother's dad's house and he is going to bring it to my apartment tomorrow night. We made some ledges, a bridge, and some hanging toys. I can't wait for Phoenix to get into her new cage tomorrow night. I will definitely have pictures posted.

:) :):thumbsup:

Just make sure to take the ramps out and watch her with the plastic pans. If she chews them, you will have to remove them, because the plastic can get real sharp when it is broken etc...

Can't wait to see the set up!

Yeah I am definitely taking the ramps out. I want to get those bass pans that everyone has but since we just got the cage I'm going to have to wait a little bit until I get my financial aid refund on Jan. 24th and then I'm going to buy those pans, fleece so I can make my own liners and hammocks, the chin line stuff, more lava bites bc Phoenix devours them right up and I can only find them in T.C. (45 mins away).

Any more ideas?

She has so much room now I want to deck it out like everyone elses. I really like Aimee and KayKay's cages.

Latest posts

Back