Rusting water bottles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostongirl'sChin75

Stephanie: Zoo Poo Gal!
I have 4 chins, 3 of which are using the Superpet water bottles. I noticed today that one of the bottles had rust around the rim where the nozzle and the plastic cap meet. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

And does anyone know where I can get a water bottle that has a lever system like the Edstrom Water Buddy does? Sabin, my newest chin, has started chewing the plastic cap on the Water Buddy he is currently using and I do not want for it to get any worse or have him ingest any plastic. Right now, it looks like he has been scraping his teeth on it and not actually biting off pieces of it.

You need to put something in the way so that he can't get to the plastic bottle, that way he can't destroy it on you. I use a metal guard for my bottles to prevent chewing.

Those superpet bottles eventually do rust on that metal cap. I end up pulling the cap off sooner or later.

Sabin, my newest chin, has started chewing the plastic cap on the Water Buddy he is currently using and I do not want for it to get any worse or have him ingest any plastic. Right now, it looks like he has been scraping his teeth on it and not actually biting off pieces of it.

I had one chin who tried to chew on the cap of the lixit bottle. I got this idea from another member who posted this pic -

I have the Lixit bottles and I just use a large flat washer as a metal guard. My chins can't get to the plastic part at all.

CIMG1980.jpg

ETA: just googled your water bottle and saw that the cap is on the top so this idea won't work for you but Susan's suggestion for a metal guard will. :))

I have 4 chins, 3 of which are using the Superpet water bottles. I noticed today that one of the bottles had rust around the rim where the nozzle and the plastic cap meet. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

And does anyone know where I can get a water bottle that has a lever system like the Edstrom Water Buddy does? Sabin, my newest chin, has started chewing the plastic cap on the Water Buddy he is currently using and I do not want for it to get any worse or have him ingest any plastic. Right now, it looks like he has been scraping his teeth on it and not actually biting off pieces of it.

I had to toss the nozzles of the two super pet bottles I had, within a month of use they were rusty. I keep my Lixit nozzles when the bottle breaks and I use those on the super pets.

Thanks everyone! Looks like it is off to the pet store I go for bottle guards. And I will remember that idea about the washer, as I have a Hammie that chews the cap to his bottle and I hate the water bottle he has now to replace the chewed one.

All of my SuperPet ones have rusted, so I had to throw away the caps. This is why I prefer the Lixit bottles.

Hmmm..it seems to be the general consensus about the Lixit bottles. I have one for 2 of my guineas and have never had a problem with it, so I might switch over all the animals to the Lixit..

I will say that I love the Edstrom water buddies but they don't make them any more. I did buy metal guards for mine from Flower Town chinchillas (you can just google their name to get their store) they're in Canada, but when I bought them the US dollar was worth more than the Canadian dollar so shipping and the cost was cheap.

I just take the metal part off my superpet bottles and use the white cap and spout underneath. I do prefer the lixit bottles more, but I'm not about to throw away a perfectly good bottle. :p Taking that metal part off, and using a washer as shown cancels out the problem.

As for the edstrom, they actually make guards for the bottles. I know this website carries them, though I'm not sure who else does since they are no longer being made.

http://www.chinchilla.ca/list.php?Category=E&source=acces

Stephanie, I had Sabin on a glass Ryerson bottle before because of his issues with chewing plastic. I have a few extra here if you want me to send you one.

Therese, I would really appreciate that! He is doing so well that I would hate for anything to mess that up! He absolutely loves the fleece I have him on and his stuffed chinchilla buddy I bought for him from QMC. I put it in his cage last night and he immediately cuddled up to it and went to sleep. I also put a ledge in there for him, more to chew on than anything, which he has done, but he likes to sit on it too. I am going to try and get some pics tonight and post them on here. And oh my god does he eat! :) Every time I go out in the chin room, he has his head in the bowl!

Thanks you again for trusting me to take him and make him a part of our family!

Stephanie, I had Sabin on a glass Ryerson bottle before because of his issues with chewing plastic. I have a few extra here if you want me to send you one.

Aww darn. I'm sorry Stephanie. I didn't realize since the Edstrom was already on his little carrier. I have one of the Ryerson's glass bottles here if you would like to trade the Edstrom back.

And yes, he is a good little eater. He's soooooo cute, especially when he would burrow under the fleece I put in his cage. First he would lay on his pillow, then under, then on, then under, then just his little head under. He couldn't make up his little mind, but at least he seemed like he was having fun trying!

Latest posts

Back