Reasons for being illegal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did some reading up. and it seems like a few breeders ruined my chances of ever owning a hedgie in PA isn't that swell of them. They didn't listen to the laws in place so to "punish" them they banned hedgies all together.

I don't currently live in PA since I go to school out of state, but I am working with some people who live both in PA and elsewhere to try to change the legislation about hedgehogs. We are hoping to get them legalized, but the PGC is not very willing to budge. I will try to keep you updated, though, if we make any progress.

I once called the PA game commission myself to ask why. The answer I got was that all non native animals are illegal to own in PA. Which is stupid, because the last time I checked, guinea pigs were not native to PA, neither are iguanas, nor are parrots - but pet stores sell those, and people who own them are not prosecuted.

Also, the surrounding states, Ohio, Delaware, and NJ (to an extent) allow hedgehog ownership - so if hedgehogs could even survive the springs, autumns and winters, isn't it possible that some escaped hogs could have already began destroying the delicate environmental balance that they are so concerned over?

Lastly, sometimes I have to admit that I am glad that hedgehogs are illegal in PA because PA is really lax about regulating and inspecting puppy mills, especially those run by the Mennonites in rural PA. If those animals are abused and neglected, can you imagine how much less they would care about proper hedgehog husbandry?

I just wanted to add that I meant to say, "there's a piece of me that's glad that hedgies are illegal in PA", but I also feel that you shouldn't punish responsible pet owners just because you're worried about the actions all of the irresponsible pet owners/pet breeders.

I just wanted to add that I meant to say, "there's a piece of me that's glad that hedgies are illegal in PA", but I also feel that you shouldn't punish responsible pet owners just because you're worried about the actions all of the irresponsible pet owners/pet breeders.

Unfortunately, you have to punish the responsible along with the irresponsible because no one knows who the idiot is going to be that lets the alligator loose in the sewer system or the hedgie loose in the wild. I don't know why hedgies are illegal in the colder climates, though, as they would not pose a hazard where they can't survive. But misplaced species really do ruin the environment and I, for one, am very concerned about that. Did you know starlings were never indiginous to the United States? They were from England. Some early settlers brought about 7 of them over to remind them of their homeland and now we have billions of them and they have absolutely taken over. So, I do understand the frustration of not being able to own the pets that you would love to own, but I also understand why some animals are banned. I wonder if you can get licensed to own a hedgie? I know I have had several raccoons which are illegal to own, but I got a license permitting me to have them. Might be something you can look into.

I would think that the colder climate areas are more to protect the animal. Since the hedgehogs can hibernate and die from the cold. From what I understand its a very painful death. If they are release in the warmer part of the year they will die when its colder and its very cruel to subject them to that. And since there are people who find it harder to care for a hedgehog they will let them go in the wild rather than take them to a rescue or shelter and then let them die.

I had a college friend do this 2 years ago with a hamster. She didnt want it anymore so she just let it go in the woods. The kicker.. there was a pet store around the corner.. like 2 minutes driving distance where she couldve taken it.

Like i mentioned before. I did some digging and found that the main reason for hedgies being illegal is this. A while ago they used to be legal then questions of why people need them and what is the potential harm they could cause. So following that legislation was passed to make bringing in any new hedgies illegal, but all that where in the state were aloud. This was not followed and many breeders where trafficking in new hedgies over the state border. This really pissed them off and they banned hedgies out right from then on.

So, yep, the good are getting punished with the bad. But in the end you look at it one way and it is good and you look at it the other and it is bad.... maybe i will look into a sugar glider.

This is very interesting. In a similar situation, I wanted to get a rattie, and later found that our province has them banned as pets. Apparently back in the day there was a huge infestation of them, and they've been banned and killed if caught ever since then.

Seems like the authorities don't let things go lightly, or in any sort of timely manner. I guess they are trying to learn from the past, but things do change.

How can they outlaw hedgehogs? They don't outlaw dogs, and when dogs escape and roam free, they have the potential to do MUCH more damage... I know that Indianapolis has been flirting with a ban on pit bulls because of the danger...

Small animals have the potential to do MUCH more harm to an ecosystem!!! Introdce rabbits or frogs to a place where there have been none before and they eat up all of another animal's food source... The rabbit will win, and there will be none of the other animal left! It's happened many times before and has the potential to drastically damage the entire ecosystem of that area. Take Australia for example...

This is why they are so cautious. But in Canada, it's so cold that a hedgehog would never survive long enough in the colder seasons to cause a problem.

I would think PA would be the same way, there is no way a hedgehog could last through the snow and cold there

I would think PA would be the same way, there is no way a hedgehog could last through the snow and cold there

They can probably do enough damage in the summer to not have to last the winter.

And animals evolve. Who's to say they wont evolve to last?

That is true theoretically. But, realistically, I haven't seen any news reports lately about hedgehogs destroying the environment in any of the states where they ARE legal. Again, theoretically, they could do a lot more damage in warmer states like Florida, etc. where they have been legal for years, but they haven't. Nor have they in the states that surround PA where they are legal. So unless PA has an abnormally weak "immune system" or something, I just don't think the argument holds up, factually speaking. Just a thought...

I think I know one reason:
If a hedgehog escapes in a warm climate (ie.Hawaii, California) hedgehogs will thrive and who knows what will happen to the eco-system, I guess? I think another one is that the might not want to have a reputation of hosting exotic animals. But, seriously, what horrible-ness can a hedgehog ever do? It's not like "This just in: 8 oz. hedgehog mauled passerby"
xD
That's what I've wondered.
Hedgehogs are typically loners in the wild, and probably wouldn't bother anyone or anything.

I must admit, I find these laws all rather confusing. We have similar problems here in Georgia as you have in PA.

To be honest, I never even considered that a hedgehog could be a pet until I stumbled across the old CnQ forum a while back and wondered what in the world a "Quill" was. :hmm:

Needless to say, I found the little hedgies to be the most adorable little things. Out of curiosity, I began to do a little research and was not suprised to find that they are illegal in Georgia.

So what confuses me is that you can legally breed hedgehogs with the right permits, but they can not be sold within the state. So you have to breed them if you want to own them? Maybe I am not seeing this from the right angle, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Also, as I belive someone else mentioned, if there was a possibility of them escaping and reproducing this would have already happened in one of the many surrounding states where they are legal.

To get to the point, what can be done to get the law changed? Sugar gliders have been illegal in Georgia since I can remember, but last year they were finally legalized thanks to a cute little face showing up in the Senate (http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-news/legal-news/georgia-sugar-glider-bill.aspx). Now if only that senator would bring a hedgehog in... who could say no to a face like that? :D

Back