Reasons for being illegal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sight

Hi guys!

I have my chin Tika, and was thinking about getting a hedgie and noticed that they were illegal in the state of PA. I was just wondering the general reasons they where illegal in some states and not others?

There is no general reason for hedgehogs being illeagle in some areas but while some places have band exotics in general, Pensylavania seems to have picked out hedgehogs. There was a law made a while ago where no hedgehogs could cross the border but hedgehogs already in the state could be kept. Many breeders broke this rule resulting into the official banding of hedgehogs. I'm sure there is a way to have a pet hedgehog but it would involve many documents and a things along those lines and I don't know of anyone who has gone through any of that though someone may come around and give you some advice!

I think I know one reason:
If a hedgehog escapes in a warm climate (ie.Hawaii, California) hedgehogs will thrive and who knows what will happen to the eco-system, I guess? I think another one is that the might not want to have a reputation of hosting exotic animals. But, seriously, what horrible-ness can a hedgehog ever do? It's not like "This just in: 8 oz. hedgehog mauled passerby"

Ya... I don't know but it seems pretty stupid to me... and besides... Hedgies live 2 too 4 years right? what are the chances that a male and female escape in the same location, make it through the winter, and manage to find each other and throw of the ecosystem? all in their lifespan?

Red tape really puts a damper on life sometimes :cry4:

Even in South Florida I think they would have a problem outside, even we have cold snaps.

Exactly! Why can't the government do their research on animals that they ban? If they did, they'd know how sweet they are!

And what's the punishment? Stick you in the hand with a quill? Sounds to me like a politicians kid had a problem with one!

And what's the punishment? Stick you in the hand with a quill? Sounds to me like a politicians kid had a problem with one!

They take the animal and kill it and then you are hit with hefty fines.

I think it's a fine and they take the animal. I've heard bad things about what they do with them.

There are so many little municipalities that it would be extremely difficult to have an all inclusive list. Look at Lawrence KS. Hedgehogs were illegal there and are now legal thanks to the work of a boy. Laws can be changed, it just takes someone willing to work on it.

Kudos to the kid that got the law changed - wonder how much Mom influenced his speech, though.
Just goes to show, it never hurts to try to change something - it could work!

How can they outlaw hedgehogs? They don't outlaw dogs, and when dogs escape and roam free, they have the potential to do MUCH more damage... I know that Indianapolis has been flirting with a ban on pit bulls because of the danger...

You won't see anyone getting their hands bitten off by a roaming, rabid hedgehog!

P.S. I would not be for a ban on dogs either... I LOVE DOGS! I was just making a point.

How can they outlaw hedgehogs? They don't outlaw dogs, and when dogs escape and roam free, they have the potential to do MUCH more damage... I know that Indianapolis has been flirting with a ban on pit bulls because of the danger...

You won't see anyone getting their hands bitten off by a roaming, rabid hedgehog!

P.S. I would not be for a ban on dogs either... I LOVE DOGS! I was just making a point.

There are several bans on dogs. Pitts are ban in Miami-Dade County. And in Broward County you need 100k home owners insurance to have one. And that is JUST in one breed in one area. There are bans in neighborhoods around here for certain types of dogs. Pitts, Rots, Standard Poodles and Chow and just some of them for the community that I used to live in. There were about 10-20 breeds that were not allowed in the neighborhood..

So yes. They do ban dogs in places just like they ban hedgehogs and other animals.

I meant dogs as a whole, like hedgies as a whole, not specific breeds (sorry if I was confusing). If someone started a petition, I'm sure you could get a lot of people to sign it!

I meant dogs as a whole, like hedgies as a whole, not specific breeds (sorry if I was confusing). If someone started a petition, I'm sure you could get a lot of people to sign it!

You werent confusing me.

The hedgehogs we have arent broken up into breeds like dogs are.. There is just APH. Unless brought from another country. So they cant really ban one breed of hedgehog, as you stated "like hedgies as a whole, not specific breeds.."

Latest posts

Back