Quick maybe wierd question.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nmiller05

I know that this may seem as a weird random question, but has anyone ever heard of putting the chin in the fridge to cool them down after playing with them

I did once hear of some strange person sticking their chin in a vegetable tray when they overheated, not understanding what they were supposed to do, but that's about it. They took the tip of holding the chin in front of an OPEN freezer door when they overheated from extreme temperatures, and twisted it a bit.

If your chin needs to be cooled down after you play with them, then your house is too hot. Drop your temperature. You need to maintain a comfortable environment for them since they can't put on more clothes or take off more fur and you can.

I've heard of people doing this as a fast option to cool a chin down if they think it is getting over heated. They just let them sit on the shelf in the fridge...I don't think they knew what to do.

I suggest getting a chin chiller. You can keep them in the fridge and then place it in your chins cage for them to sit on.

Also like tunes said, your house may be a bit to warm.

I've never heard of that one. I keep the play time area at a minimal of 65 degrees, and if they start to look tired or hot, I always put them back in my bedroom in their cages which stays about 57-60.

Thanks for the advice. I was refering to the chin that my husband had when we were in high school. A girl had given her to him and he loved her and tried to take good care of her, but the girl neglected to tell him about room temp and such. We lived in the country without internet and anyway she over heated and died. We just bought 2 and I made sure that I have books and plenty of resources plus a vet I can take them too if something were to go wrong. We keep our house at a pleasant 73.

I read that a person's a/c died and her chin was overheating- put him on a plate in the fridge and called the vet. Saved his life, but that should never be used on a regular basis.

We keep our house at a pleasant 73.
I think, someone correct me if I"m wrong, that chins can have heat strokes at 75, so I think that may be a tad bit too hot.

Well, all the books say that 80 is too warm and anything below 75 is perfect. They are very healthy and Very active. Their play area is much cooler below 70.

Well, all the books say that 80 is too warm and anything below 75 is perfect. They are very healthy and Very active. Their play area is much cooler below 70.

I wouldn't say perfect, but it's probably okay. It's going to depend on what your humidity level is. If you have your chins at 75 and your humidity is 50% or above, that's too hot. I keep my chin barn at 60 to 65 degrees with my humidity at 35%. This winter my barn has been at 50 pretty constantly with a higher humidity level (long story involving a dehumidifier) and it's been comfortable for them, although their fur doesn't look great because of the humidity.

Temperatures above 75 degrees Fahrenheit can be fatal! We keep our chinchillas comfortable between 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit all year round.
That's where I read it, I guess I"m basing it on my chins really. They're NOT happy at all in anything 70 or over, they won't move and just lay there. They get so agitated with me. I guess if your chins are happy in 73 and thriving, then it must work for your furry friends. Mine are just awfully picky.

Oh wait, now I found where I read it. It reads:
Temperature in the room should not exceed 75 degrees Fahrenheit since chinchillas are prone to heat stroke.

I've had a chinchilla die of heatstroke at 75F - I wouldnt advise anything above 70 on a daily basis or you're asking for trouble. If your chins get overheated during playtime, that room is too warm for them. A good chin vet is a great resource, but they dont replace proper care & housing. Books are full of incorrect knowledge - published to bring in money, not to spread correct information.

Hope that doesnt sound rude, I dont mean it that way. I just worry that weeks or months from now, you'll be here with a thread going "OMG my chin isnt moving, her ears are all red and she's gasping for air, what do I do?!?!?"
Quite honestly, my first chin was raised on the advice of a not-so-knowledgable pet store owner, and some crappy books from the library (no internet back then). Sadly he died from something that could have been prevented if I'd had access to better resources. I hope you dont make the same mistakes I did.
~Barb~

I keep my chin barn at 60 to 65 degrees with my humidity at 35%.

This is totally off subject, but Tunes, you have a chin BARN?!?! That is incredible! I must say that I'm totally envious! :)

I had to keep my sister's chinnie girl in the fridge with the door open of course for a couple of hours, when we moved to BFE Tulare, in the middle of summer. The place had air conditioning but it wasn't on before we got there so into the fridge she went until it cooled down enough.

They do just fine at 75. its 80 you gotta worry about

That's not true at all. I think it also depends on the chinchillas fur quality. The thicker the fur the cooler it has to be. My newest rescue is fine at 70-72 but my older chin isn't comfortable in anything over 70 (his ears turn red, you can't get him to come off his chill stone). Just because 75 may not kill them (though it might) it still isn't comfortable. Would you hang outside in 110F weather when you could be sitting inside 75F air conditioning? It's the same for them.

75 can be deadly to a chinchilla. There quite a few members who have lost chins at 75 degrees. While they CAN live at that high of a temperature, it's uncomfortable for them. Mine start looking uncomfortable at 69-70 degrees, so I try to keep them at 65-68.

Do not close the door with a chinchilla in the fridge. by the way...not good enough air circulation. any how I keep my house at 72 but m chin room doesn't get over 68.

Back