Quick maybe wierd question.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The highest my chin room has ever gotten in 72, but my ac is set it the room for 68. I agree with the fur point. Stolie (who has a beautiful coat) gets pissy at about 70 ish. Lena (crap coat) would probably do fine at a higher temperature...

Find where the cool and warm spots are in your house. You can reduce heat in an area by wrapping a gas forced air vent in layers of tin foil. Maybe do that in a spare bedroom, put the chins in there and leave the bedroom door open for some heat.

75 degrees orphaned a couple of my kits last summer when the a/c couldn't handle the heat wave.

I'm sorry to hear that =[ So it's safe to assume that my information was correct? I just want to know so I know whether or not to update my information.

Is more humidity or less humidity better for keeping things cooler?

I also had a scary night last summer when lightning hit the transformer in front of the house around midnight - chin room went to 80 and humidity to 68% slowly, but saved in the nick of time! I built "evacuation carriers" for 60 chins about 2 weeks later! Really got me thinking!
The least humidity in hot weather is the best!

Is more humidity or less humidity better for keeping things cooler?

Less humidity is better. Remember, chins come from a cold desert climate. Humidity is the content of moisture in the air. The more humid, the more damp of a feeling. Chins + damp/water = bad.

Less humidity is better. Remember, chins come from a cold desert climate. Humidity is the content of moisture in the air. The more humid, the more damp of a feeling. Chins + damp/water = bad.

Okay, I knew about more humidity raising the chance for fungus in the fur, I just wasn't sure about temp, but thanks a ton for clearing it up!

Okay, I knew about more humidity raising the chance for fungus in the fur, I just wasn't sure about temp, but thanks a ton for clearing it up!

Well, think of how sticky and gross you feel when the humidity is higher vs. when it's lower.

Well, think of how sticky and gross you feel when the humidity is higher vs. when it's lower.

Yeah, I spent the summer in Lexington with my grandma and step grandpa working at the nursury, it was EXTREMELY humid and I just felt yucky in general.

not sure which information you are referring to but basically 75 degrees is too hot. most my chins survived (not happy but not dead); a chin that was under physical strain to begin with (i.e. nursing) died.

I'm sorry to hear that =[ So it's safe to assume that my information was correct? I just want to know so I know whether or not to update my information.

When I took these pics last summer when it was 73 degrees in my house. Since my guys have their own room now with a separate heating/air conditioning unit, I keep it at 65 at night and 68 during the day.
If your chins ears start to look like this then at a very minimum get him something cold to lay on. Ice chips are a nice warm weather treat too.
baxterredears.jpg

baxterpinkears2.jpg

His what his normal ears look like for comparison.
baxter0607084.jpg

lol im sorry but my room is at a constant 75 degrees i live with my mom and so i have to go buy her rules and my chins eas have never looked like that and they act happy and play so im gonna say my chins arnt uncomfortable

Nicole, glad to see you're selfish enough to keep chins in a temperature they can die from, rather than fight to make them more comfortable or find them a new home. Chins can acclimate to higher temps, but it's not good for them, as proven by those who've lost them to heat stroke at 75.

Also Nicole, on chins with lighter ears it is easier to see the effects of overheating as in the pictures. I have a black velvet and it is hard to tell if her ears are red unless it is a real problem, so I go by feel and behavior to tell if she is getting overheated. Also even if a chin is doing okay at a higher temp, playtime and the higher level of activity that comes with it can push them over the edge.

To the OP, I've also heard of this, but I would rather take ice/something cold from the fridge and wrap it in fleece rather than stick my animal in there. Though as a last resort I guess it would be better than nothing.

Lol oh no problem ash!
I do have a chin with light ears and hers are the normal color there not red nor are they pink and like i stated they play and are very happy. They are close to a window so where they are at it may be a little cooler but my thermomter by my bed reads 75 so with that said if they were red and if my chins were acting funny i would lower the temp but there not so thats that. i take very good care of them and im sorry you feel that way ASH

i also think it has a lot to do with humitity and we have low humidity

How long have you had your chins, Nicole? I'd like to see your experience stacked up against these breeders whose experience outweighs my own four years. Your chins might appear "Fine" at 75 degrees, but I encourage you to put on a thick fur coat and run around at 75. And remember, they can't sweat. Their ONLY source of cooling off is their ears and feet.

ETA: During the summer, that "area by the window" is going to be warmer, not colder, than by your bed, as it's an outside wall that receives the heat.

Latest posts

Back