Question about a hobby breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

I posted a listing on clist about wanting two more kits.

I haven’t had much luck at allllll with finding ones from on here. I was looking fro 2 male kits, one to be black velvet and another one to be brown velvet or something else tan... i done know something I didn’t already have.

ANYWAYS this gentlemen responded to my add. He said everyone knows who he is and that he isn’t a true breeder but a hobby breeder. He doesn’t own a camera so he won’t send me photos of chins ahead of time. Or where he keeps them or his breeding stock.
He told me the colors he has and they are the ones I want. Still unsure on how much he wants to charge for them.

Anyways anyone heard of: Roy Nussbaum

I would be happy if he came on here so I could get to know him on the chin forum also. So if anyone is friends they should invite him.

Any who- do you know of this hobby breeder-the good the bad the awesome and how are the temperament and genetics of his stock?

:thumbsup: Thxs

I have not heard of him, but I also stick to a few select breeders and rarely buy out of that group.

I purchased 2 female chins from him about 2 or 3 years ago. I think when you came to my house I showed them to you a black and a white in one of the top cages on the right hand side. I do keep in contact with him by emails only.

California is packed full of breeders, you shouldn't have any problems finding some! There are also quite a few good rescues there too if you want to consider an animal that needs a loving home due to no misfortune of it's own!

Will he let you see where he keeps his breeders if you go visit? Not being able to see where the breeding chins are kept would kind of make me wary. I know with some ranchers their breeding stock aren't kept in show quality shape, but not even allowing you to see the parents is a bit questionable to me anyways.

Due to personal experiences, I can see why people would not want someone in with their animals--especially if it's in a home setting. Too many horror stories (people trying to break in to steal animals, AC being called, risk of disease etc). I personally have stopped letting people I do not know into my animal room, and I have nothing to hide...just safer for my animals that way.

Yeah, I can understand not wanting people at your house. But then I'd say get a camera to post pictures! I dunno, I wouldn't buy from someone sight unseen.

Just my opinion though.

Ask for pics of the parents at the minimum if you are concerned with the breeder. Or pictures of their cages - it's not hard to do that for you.

I had someone try to break into my place after visiting the chins a month beforehand. So I do let some people still visit, but not everyone. I trusted them too, spent hours talking with them in email and by phone months before it happened, so I never thought they would do that.

Though looking back, I now realize they were casing my house while there. They weren't happy enough with just looking at my chins, they wanted into storage rooms and all other rooms as well as were wanting to look on the sides of the house, my son's bedroom, etc... I should have known. :banghead:

Usually just friends, family or other breeders I personally know and know wouldn't be trying to break in to my house can visit.

I have kids, so I have to think of their safety, my own and my chinchillas too. Had they broken in, like they were trying, they were going into my son's bedroom window at the time when I caught them.

He had part of his garage converted into a chin room. All the chins are in this room. He's off the 101 fwy in Agoura Hills. I made a mistake on when I purchased my chins it was about 4 or 5 yrs ago. I went to his house last year because he purchased 2 cages from me. I do believe he doesn't belong to any chin clubs and he doesn't come on here.

Last edited:
I contacted him after we had a little argumentish talk. I wouldnt mind buying from him I just thought it was super weird he didnt have a camera and his reason for not getting was bc the chins would change so much anyways...

Could you contact him for me? What was his prices?

I purchased 2 female chins from him about 2 or 3 years ago. I think when you came to my house I showed them to you a black and a white in one of the top cages on the right hand side. I do keep in contact with him by emails only.

You'd think... but I cant find a single one with a blk velvet kit.
And I dont mind a rescue but they have to be kits. I only know of a couple rescues and one I tried working with before I bought my current two couldnt tell me if the chins were male or female who were together in a cage for the past month...

California is packed full of breeders, you shouldn't have any problems finding some! There are also quite a few good rescues there too if you want to consider an animal that needs a loving home due to no misfortune of it's own!

Did you try LA chins? Last time I was there I saw two black velvet kits.

I think I know who this hobby breeder you are referring to. I considered getting chins from him a long long time ago. He was very pushy and insisted that I come meet the chins personally. I just didn't want to waste my time with someone who couldn't even bother to post photos of their chins...

Back