Oxbow chinchilla food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chinchillalady

I was just curious if anyone else felt this way about Oxbow.

I admit, I'm furious that they stopped selling their food online. I bought the fifty pound bags of food, simply because I have quite a few chins. Now, I have to special order the food from where I use to work, and that's become a hassle, because I'm lucky if I even get it in a reasonable amount of time. So, I've had to resort to going out and paying $17 a bag (a ten pound bag at that!), and buying two or three bags at a time.

I told my husband we are going to switch them to the PANR (I've looked up stores that sell it in our area, or at least close enough), because I love my chins, and don't want to worry about when their food is going to arrive at the store.

I just think it's ridiculous. Maybe it's just me, but I like it better when they sold their food online.

On a side note, does anyone in WI know a good place to get quality hay? Around the Milwaukee area? I'm having problems getting hay from them, too. (I get the fifty pound box.)

I don't feed it, but honestly that's why I stopped feeding Mazuri, because with my 4 chins it wasn't as cheap as using PANR. I didn't have any issues with the Mazuri only that I wanted to save some money.

I feel as though when there's other feed out there that will work just as well, why not switch if it becomes a hassle to get?

It is just under $14 to buy a five lb bag of Oxbow near me...I'm trying to find some better deals offline even for different brands...

I wish food wasn't so expensive:cry4:...okay I'm done crying over spilt pellets :winkers:

Wow.. you guys really need to go to a feed store. My 25lb bags of Mazuri cost about $15. 50lbs of PANR is about $15

I have only found Oxbow at one place in Santa Barbara and other wise it's Charlie Chinchilla etc.

That's why I turned to you:thumbsup::heart3:

I'm trying to see if I could get something else ordered in to the shop I go to *crosses fingers*

I pay about $11 dollars for a 5# bag of Oxbow ..at petfoodexpress. It is a little high, but I trust this food ..and it's readily available and fresh when I get it. I can't say that about my feed store's 25# bag of Mazuri ..and they won't carry PANR for me.

On a side note... petfoodexpress is willing to order 50# bags of Oxbow for me, but they want $50, too. That's not gonna happen.. even if it is half as cheap as the 5# bag I already buy. That much food will go spoiled before my three Chin'kids can eat it.

Darned if I do, darned if I don't...

Yeah, I do to a feedstore when I am almost out. It's 6 bucks for a 2.5 lb bag of mazuri. They have the 25 lb bags.. but yeah.. won't be fresh

But, if you have one in your area try a feed store. As for hay, I like going straight to the farmers, where they can guarantee freshness and it is what they say it is.

A bail is about 5 bucks.

I pay about $11 dollars for a 5# bag of Oxbow ..at petfoodexpress. It is a little high, but I trust this food ..and it's readily available and fresh when I get it. I can't say that about my feed store's 25# bag of Mazuri ..and they won't carry PANR for me.

On a side note... petfoodexpress is willing to order 50# bags of Oxbow for me, but they want $50, too. That's not gonna happen.. even if it is half as cheap as the 5# bag I already buy. That much food will go spoiled before my three Chin'kids can eat it.

Darned if I do, darned if I don't...

At my feed store I order my PANR on Friday and it comes in on Wednesday. The last bag I ordered was milled on Jan. 29th 2009 and I picked it up on February 9th. It can't get much fresher than that. I would rather have a feed store order than carry anyway. If not many people purchase the feed then it just sits on the shelves until someone buys it.

I totally agree, Essentia.. but they won't order it for me.

They keep my Mazuri blocks (bRat food) on the shelf every week.. I'm the only one that buys it, so he gets 2 bags for me every time he orders ....but he won't, or can't, get the PANR for me. Strange ..but it's what he tells me every time I ask.

It also plays into where they have mills. I feed Penpals, and can only buy it in bulk now because Megan and another breeder got a somewhat local mill to produce it.

I switched from Mazuri to Oxbow when they started selling it at the Petsmarts around here. Only because in the end it came out to be a dollar cheaper (by the pound) for me to buy a 5lb Oxbow bag at 12.99 versus the 8-9 dollar 2.5 bags of Mazuri. Besides he eats a lot. We were going through those two pound bags on a monthly basis, but the Oxbow stuff lasts longer and he really seems to enjoy it. He also loves the hay from Oxbow.

I feed Oxbow and I order it from Aznmaggie here on CnH. She can fit two ten pound bags in a flat rate box and the last order I received cost me under $37.00. You can also order it from Dr. Foster and Smith for about the same price. I also believe you can STILL order it from Oxbow, you just have to call them to order it, you just can't order it over the internet anymore. Give them a call and see.

I am switching to PANR from tradition and I get the PANR from a feed store 5 blocks away. Let me tell you doing that is A LOT easier than ordering online and than waiting and hoping it gets to us when we need it. I got a 10 lb bag for $5.75 and that will last my 3 (soon to be 4 :D) chinchillas a LONG while. It was milled in December of '08 so it has awhile before it goes stale.

I pay about $11 dollars for a 5# bag of Oxbow ..at petfoodexpress. ......

On a side note... petfoodexpress is willing to order 50# bags of Oxbow for me, but they want $50, too. That's not gonna happen.. even if it is half as cheap as the 5# bag I already buy. .....

According to your post their prices are:
5 lbs = $11
50 lbs = $50

5 lbs x 10 bags = 50 lbs
$11 (for 5 lbs) x 10 bags = $55

Just wanted to let you know that it's not 1/2 as much to get the 50 lb bag, it'd only be saving you $5. Unless there's something I'm not seeing there.

It's a little over $2/lb. if I buy 5# bag for $11 ..at $50 for 50#, it's $1/lb. ...it's half, or there about.. and some portion of the 50# will be wasted due to going stale, so it's not worth it to me and my Chin'kids.

My three girls eat Oxbow food and hay. It is much better than crap they were given before they came to me, but I agree that it can get expensive (the pellets, at least). We buy 5 pound bags since we only have three, and I think it's around $10 or so, but we buy it from a little local pet shop.

We buy Oxbow hay by 50 lbs and it has increased by $4 at the feed store we go to. We feed PANR at one place it is cheaper, but never fresh so we end up going to another place that is more expensive or waiting a long time to get fresh bags.

At the feed store in Kernersville, a 25 lb bag of Mazuri is $14 something.
At the feed store in Galax, a 50 lb bag of PANR is $15.75, fresh from the mill, special ordered. I order on Wednesday, they have it by Friday (Of the same week).
I'm very happy with PANR.

You can still order from oxbow right now, but it has to be large quantities, and over the phone. I told them at the time they were going to tick people off with not selling through their site anymore, but money won out. They get so much more by having the higher priced places carry it, and they don't have to worry about it anymore.

I think it stinks that their loyal customers who made them what they are, are the ones who lose out.

Latest posts

Back