Ok, so i almost killed my friend

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread was too long for me to read but it sounds like the guy is a victim of his own doing. I think he has made himself retarded.:hilarious::rofl:

This is going off topic, but I've given hemp seeds to birds- not the same thing as pot exactly but it does make you think a bit! They are often sold as supplements or treats especially if a bird needs to gain weight (my reason for doing so).

And on an odd note for psychology type people out there, BF Skinner fed hemp to birds and they were more focused (this was in his idea for a pigeon guided missile system- he was a little odd!).

Just a little tidbit of random info

Now given that, it was screwed up of your "friend" to blow smoke at your chins! It seems like it should be ok, but keep an eye on him. That is just wrong!

this thread was too long for me to read but it sounds like the guy is a victim of his own doing. I think he has made himself retarded.

thats what i think too. only someone that has lost most of their brain cells would even consider doing anything that might piss me off, and THAT did WAY more than piss me off! why would you do something that you know i'm going to kill you for? obviously he had a death wish, but i guess if my life sucked so bad that i could only cope with it by being high all the time, i'd prolly want to die too. BTW, this thread should prolly be moved to the chin debate forum now, we kind of got off track a little didnt we?;) oh yeah, and i dont care if people want to kill their brain cells by doing things that are bad for them, i do not judge and i am all for medical marijuana when there is a valid reason like cancer or aids and you are on your way out anyway and you want to do it comfortably, but dont force it on others and next time you want to get your animal high, think of this: would you give drugs to an infant? what about a todler? or a small child or even a teen? if you answered yes to this question, you should be slapped and thrown in jail to rot with chi-mo's and murderers. If you answered no, yet you get your animal high, tell me, what exactly is the difference?

Megan, Your pets will be fine and you are a caring chinnie mom! Yah! They probably did just freak out; because of you clapping etc. and your reaction. Did you ever see on tv that women (and i'm sure there's plenty more like her) blowing pot smoke in the kids mouth, as the mom watched. Well, of course, the mom's lost all custody and is in jail etc. Some people are beyond "stupid". I think our pets are just as beloved as a family member and we are devoted to them. Yep!

I am suprised there are actually people who think its "OK" to give animals drugs, I would have thought this thread the answer would have be "Are you nuts". Guess I live a sheltered life, I never would have thought that there would be open discussion on a chinchilla forum about drug use on pets and some think its not going to hurt them, when someone actually has a conversation with a pet and can record it and play it back where the pet say's yeah cool then maybe my tune will change.

I am suprised there are actually people who think its "OK" to give animals drugs, I would have thought this thread the answer would have be "Are you nuts". Guess I live a sheltered life, I never would have thought that there would be open discussion on a chinchilla forum about drug use on pets and some think its not going to hurt them, when someone actually has a conversation with a pet and can record it and play it back where the pet say's yeah cool then maybe my tune will change.

Unfortunately it's true, I believe there are people in the world who do feel it is ok to give drugs to animals. They don't see any harm in taking drugs themselves, and are even more irresponsible by exposing animals to them as well. Drugs will hurt animals, just as they will hurt people. No one here believes it is ok to expose animals to drugs. We wouldn't be here if we did. It is my belief, though, that a one time, limited exposure to marijuana, which is one of the safer drugs - even compared to cigarrettes which have numerous poisons in them - won't have lasting implications on Megan's chin. Repeated exposure would hold a totally different story. Megan got the "friend" out of the house, cleared the air, and took measures to make sure her chin was ok and out of harm's way. A call to the vet would be the final step to making sure he has no ill effects from his exposure. I truely believe that her chin will be ok, but it is time to find some new friends.

Very good points. :) At that point it comes down to the human's decision on whether he thinks the effects are worth the side-effects. Perhaps someone trying to help a stressed out hyper little border collie relax for a bit might be a better thing than someone just getting their labrador drunk.

Maybe this post was missed by you?

Again, yes, there are idiots who believe that its not harming their pets because they believe its not harming themselves either. Over 10 years ago, my boss' spoiled brat son was in college and had a couple frat roommates who also had a small pug mix type dog as a mascot. At that time, I used to hear such horrid stories as to how funny it was to get the dog drunk or high. I expressed my sadness and concern to both my boss and his son. I found out a little while later that the dog "mysteriously" ran away and to my happiness found out it was a group of sorrority girls who rescued the dog. The college guys didn't even care that the dog was gone, sadly they replaced it with an iguana :(.

Oh geez...poor little pug baby! I'm happy to hear that he was rescued...then an iguana? Who raises these children that they go on to waste their lives like that?

People... :rolleyes: And, I get yelled at for being picky when it comes to where my chinchillas end up. I can't trust anyone any more.

It is so sad what happens to frat or college dorm pets. I had a fish and someone killed it by feeding it crap and pot seeds. Then they kidnapped him and I never got him back I assumed it was because he died. So sad, I would never bring an animal into that environment.

Maybe this post was missed by you?

I guess I didn't see that...it all comes down to the maturity of the person. A forum is comprised of many different people, but I think the majority of the people here have the best of intentions for their animals. People here really care about their animals and what is best for them. But the forum doesn't pick its members, so you will find a few irresponsible members from time to time, who will hopefully learn from this group the dangers humans can pose on animals.

Jenn, Ticklechin?

Please note the earlier post where I very specifically said I was playing devil's advocate to start up a real debate, rather than simply say "it's wrong because it's illegal" or "it's wrong because it just is".

Perhaps it is also worth mentioning (AGAIN) that I do not expose any of my pets to any psychoactive substances. Was it immature, irresponsible or showing that I do not "have the best intentions for my animals" to start this debate?

I was trying, successfully I might add, to get you guys to think about your answers and provide empirical evidence as to why it is not a good thing. The personal insults are not constructive and not appreciated.

I don't know why a debate should start in the health section when a owner was asking if pot smoke can hurt a chin, why play devils advocate unless you believe what you are debating. This is a family forum and frankly I don't see why the need to go on and on about pot and animals nor do I think we need to post links to pot sites nor the discussion in sites talking about pot and animals, do your own searching in private.

Last edited:
well, my husband's sister is a vet tech and she seems to think they're ok. she said the same thing as most of you, as long as there is not repeat exposure, they should have no problem. one thing i did notice yesterday is that they didnt eat as much as normal. maybe cause they dont eat when they're stressed out? that would make sense cause they are so easily stressed it was probably scary for them to be stoned and not know why or what was happening. my poor babies!!! :( they're eating fine today. my sister said that she has had dogs come in that are vomiting uncontrollably from alcohol poisoning and from eating pain pills that people have left out on a table and all sorts of stuff. it makes me so sad. i swear, when my husband and i buy a house, i'm going to make sure i have enough acreage to rescue any stray or abused animal i come across! and if you think about it, the only difference between a baby and an animal is that one has fur and walks on 4 legs. sure they learn, but only what you teach them. babies learn what they are taught by everyone around them. also human brain chemistry is very different from animal, as well as capasity. we are able to figure out right and wrong and understand what is good and bad for us. animal, can understand right and wrong only if taught and they dont know what is good and bad for them, all they know is that "master" said no. if they were able to make decisions like that for themselves, and know the difference between good and bad, and understand the effects of such things, they would be just as advanced as we are and we'd be seeing dogs and cats driving cars and working in factories and making clothing and owning houses. alot of people look at animals and think, "awwww...fuzzy and cute!" they dont realize that adopting an animal is the same as having a child, only they are children their whole lives. i had to explain to my husband today why i spend so much time on this site learning about my babies. he says, "they arent babies, they're animals. You didnt give birth to them. their only instict is to eat and poo." i asked him, "what is the difference between that and an infant exactly?" We dont have children yet, so animals are my babies. he understands that and he doesnt mean that i shouldnt care for them as much, but i think i do spend a little more time obsessing about them than the average person. thats only cause they're new to me. i've never had a chinchilla to care for and they are alot more high maintanence that i knew. i just want to make sure that i'm doing everything right. i would feel horrible if i came home one day and my babies were sick or dead because i fed them something i wasnt supposed to, or they were exposed to something that killed them and i could have prevented it. now my husband sits with me when i'm on this site so he can learn just as much as me.

Megan, I think they are a bit more high maintenance only in the beginning as you are getting more acclimated to them. You are also stressed and worried about your babies because they are new but as the time passes, you will get into a routine and then everything will be fine and you'll foget about all the stress. It's good to be so involved and care about your pets and I'm glad they are eating and feeling better today :)).

Very good points. At that point it comes down to the human's decision on whether he thinks the effects are worth the side-effects. Perhaps someone trying to help a stressed out hyper little border collie relax for a bit might be a better thing than someone just getting their labrador drunk.

Please note the lack of my saying that giving a dog alcohol is okay. I was arguing that using marijuana in a manner consistent with how it has been used medically for thousands of years, that no one has given any explanation how this is harmful. Just that it's 'bad'.

I don't know why a debate should start in the health section when a owner was asking if pot smoke can hurt a chin, why play devils advocate unless you believe what you are debating, that its ok to get a hyper dog drunk.

What I was pointing out here is that the human is responsible for being the caretaker and decision maker. I never ever ever said it was okay to get a dog drunk. Alcohol is a poison. Marijuana, however, is not. It's much easier to die from nutmeg poisoning than marijuana.

"In common parlance, a devil's advocate is someone who takes a position, sometimes one he or she disagrees with, for the sake of argument. This process can be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure." - Wikipedia

What I am still waiting for is any sort of empirical evidence to say that exposure via the ears or other method to an animal such as a dog (NOT a chinchilla) is harmful in small to moderate amounts.

no offence enslavedbyninjas, but i agree with ticklechin even though the debate made valid points on both sides, i just wanted to make sure my babies were going to be ok. and, like abortion, religion, and polotics, that is a never ending agrument to be had in the debate section. some people think its ok, some people dont. as i said before, i dont judge, but i also do not agree in the least with people that get their animals intoxicated and that is my own opinion. everyone is entitled to theirs. however, i have to agree %100 that my "friend" we'll call him, "stonetarded" is an idiot for smoking an illeagal substance in MY house and forcing it on MY babies! and he should also be hit by a car!

one thing i did notice yesterday is that they didnt eat as much as normal. maybe cause they dont eat when they're stressed out? that would make sense cause they are so easily stressed it was probably scary for them to be stoned and not know why or what was happening. my poor babies!!! :( they're eating fine today.

I'm glad to hear they're doing good today. :) Sorry to derail your thread as much as I did! As far as the stress, do you think it's possible that the argument/slapping etc in front of them stressed them out to the point they didn't have much for appetites?

my sister said that she has had dogs come in that are vomiting uncontrollably from alcohol poisoning and from eating pain pills that people have left out on a table and all sorts of stuff.

That's horrible to hear. :( Both of those situations are just horrid. Makes you wonder what man-made creations we put into our own bodies on a regular basis?

ETA - Yeah, I don't think I ever said it myself (as most people pointed out already) your 'friend' is a disrespectful idiot. He never should have done that in your house, let alone to your babies. And I do respect your opinion as far as the debate goes, and in that situation I probably would have reacted in a similar manner. :)

Last edited:
Back