Mason, The Bunneh

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I've had my bunny for about 6 years now, my sister in law found him in her yard one day. On Thanksgiving day, I noticed he wasn't eating. After a long week of waiting for him to poop, $560 in vet bills, and a 5 days stay at the vet, he's now home and very healthy :D He beat the odds, it's hard to get the GI tract of a rabbit going again once it stops. His blood work came back normal, but he had lots of gas in his abdomin, so that may have made him stop eating. Here he is (you can see in the first picture his little shaved arm from the vet stay):

IMG_4625-1.jpg

IMG_4641-1.jpg

^^^I can has a treat? (I was sitting in front of the chinchilla cage feeding them)

IMG_4647-1.jpg

IMG_4648-1.jpg

^^^ Seriously... can I have my treat?

I feel so blessed that he pulled through. I've had many small animals over the years and with every one, once they got sick, they didn't recover.

Mason and my dog Sweet Pea:

IMG_4406-1.jpg

Grapefruit helmet:

mason-grapefruit02.jpg

Sleeping:

sleepymason01.jpg

Head Shot (I think he looks like Quagmire from Family Guy):

maymay5.jpg

He's also very stubborn, I think it's cute :p At the vet, everyone who came to talk to us said he was very stubborn, but adorable... he doesn't like to be picked up, doesn't like to be moved, refused most foods (a few nibbles of papaya was all he would eat), and when they force fed him Critical Care, he would spit it out. He's very spoiled.

Grapefruit helmet!!!! I LOVE IT!! All animals should wear hats or helmets.. :)

I agree! He only left it on for about 3 seconds though, he kept pushing it off. I had to get at least 1 good picture. I have another picture of him wearing the helmet, he looks a little mad at me :rofl: I slept with one eye open that night

mason-grapefruit.jpg

Almost forgot Mason after a bath and right before getting his nails clipped:

mason-bath05.jpg

Hope I'm not overdoing the pictures, if I am, don't be afraid to say something!

Are you crazy? MORE PICTURES!! :) I think everyone will agree, there's no such thing as too many cute pictures of bunnies, chins, other animals...

Okay, good, now I don't feel bad :D I've posted a lot of pictures of my dog on another forum and no one ever comments on them anymore, I think they're sick of them :p I only post a few a month, if that, nothing too over the top.

I'm like you, I can't get enough cuteness! I can see 1,000 pictures of the same animal and say "aww" all 1,000 times :p I don't have too many more of Mason, let me check my photobucket. He's getting another bath soon (he needs it bad), I was just waiting for him to settle back home, he was out of it for a while. Tons of pictures then.

Last edited:
IMG_4393-1.jpg

IMG_4044-1.jpg

mason-laying.jpg

mason-cagefeb09.jpg

^^^ His cage. The box on the 2nd floor has been replaced and he has a new litter box & larger bottle. I also just put a straw mat in there. This photo is from earlier this year. He's simple, if I try to decorate it too much, he moves things and destroys them, it's hilarious. The door to the cage is right where he's sitting, the panel comes up and the giant safety pin holds it in place.

Last edited:
Very last one, all of the others are pretty much duplicates of what I've already posted.

maymay.jpg

In his old cage, about 4 years ago. I like the C&C cage MUCH better, easier to clean and safer for his nails. He doesn't like to have his nails clipped (I have scars to prove it), so if they grow out a tiny bit, there's nothing he can get them stuck in.

Last edited:
My dog is so in love with Mason, every time he comes out of his cage, she's waiting at the bedroom door. Sweet Pea licks him like crazy... I wonder if she thinks he's another dog or maybe a puppy. With other dogs, she sniffs until she's had enough, I've never seen her lick other creatures. Not sure what it is about Mason that makes her go nuts. Found this article about why dogs lick, not sure about this situation though.

"A dog may lick as a way to try to appease someone higher in the "pack" and the pack may include their owner."

Maybe Sweet Pea knows he's the boss :p

Well your thread settles everything now. When I retired I had planned on getting one last pet due to our ages and being fair. My husband and I talked about the great dane because we love them so much and know they are the right "fit" for us. Sadly they are not long lived. But we know that. Funny how you start to think of age and the ability to care for animals and have the strength to care for them. Not that we are ancient :hilarious:, but we want to be able to do some traveling and get up and go on the Harley ect.

Well I can see now that I am going for a bunny. I had one as a very long time ago. His name was Oscar and we had to keep him at my grandparents house outdoors. My father found him under a car and my brother and I did a con job on our parents to keep him. After seeing your spoiled rotten bun........I can see myself retired around the house with another rabbit in my life.

Your bunny is sooooooo darned funny. I just love all those pictures!!!!! If I didn't know any better I would say he and my cat WB ( Walnut Brain for short) are brothers. WB is 13 and lives in his own little world. He only loves us. He hates everyone else and if you wanted to cut those nails you had better have a life insurance policy. :rofl: But we wouldn't trade him for nothing. WB was thrown into a box at birth with his brother and sister and left at the pound steps on a closed Sunday. I just happened to find them and took them home. Or they would of been dead within an hour in the hot sun covered up and it was 97 degrees.

Awwww, your bun is the sweetest! I love that face! And those ears- I just want to snuggle him. And there is no such thing as too many pics... Thanks for the smiles! :)

He's way too cute! Glad he's feeling much better. Thanks to a good Mommy. :)

Latest posts

Back