jungle gym

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchkin

I'm thinking about making my chinchillas a jungle gym type thing out of wood and PVC pipes but no ideas are coming into my mind on where to start. It wouldn't be for in the cage but when I let them out to run around. Any ideas would be great! THANKS! ;)

What About using (Safe Plastic) PVC pipes (Like you wrote) and making a GIANT Habitrail (Spelling?) Like what is produced for Hamsters ? A huge Maze with twists and turns that ends up in a large play area ? Sounds Fun - Smiles

PS- I just read something from "Tunes" about plastic - Be carefull of materials used.
Best, Grace

When I had all my chins in an enclosed bedroom so I could let them out and run around, I used one of those cat trees. It works well for out of cage playtime if it's covered, because most chins don't bother the carpet covering while they're out playing. Of course if you notice that your chin tends to try and chew the carpet in the room, then this wouldn't work. And I'm not saying to use carpet in the cage, it just worked for on the tree for my girls.

I also even drilled extra wood ledges into the wood supports on it.

So even if you didn't want to buy one, you could get ideas by looking at pictures of them.

I would not make a large series of tunnels for several reasons, difficulty in cleaning, difficulty getting chins out to put them away, and heat and humidity issues with chins running in small areas.

I've used cardboard boxes with holes cut out and cardboard tubes linking them together. Then when you're done with playtime, you can fold and flatten the boxes down. Personally, I wouldn't want to use something that I wouldn't be able to dissassemble just in case I need to get the chinnie out and he/she doesn't want to cooperate and also because it would be very hard to clean.

I used to have intricate Crittertrail tubes for my hamsters and it was a huge mess (peeing/pooping in all the inacessible parts of the tube when it was all connected and walking in their waste) and the hammies didn't want to get out of the tubes, even when I needed to clean the cage. After that experience, I kept the tube design simple.

I had a duh moment and forgot all about this. This is a play gym I made out of 1 inch dowels and pine boards. It cost me about $150 to make and if you are interested in making something like it pm me and I can tell you how it is put together.

playground.jpg

playpen.jpg

When I had all my chins in an enclosed bedroom so I could let them out and run around, I used one of those cat trees. It works well for out of cage playtime if it's covered, because most chins don't bother the carpet covering while they're out playing. Of course if you notice that your chin tends to try and chew the carpet in the room, then this wouldn't work. And I'm not saying to use carpet in the cage, it just worked for on the tree for my girls.

I also even drilled extra wood ledges into the wood supports on it.

So even if you didn't want to buy one, you could get ideas by looking at pictures of them.

We tried one of those and all they wanted to do was pee on it :banghead:

We've also made something similar to these - more elaborate than the ones they show - and the chins absolutely love it. If you do, just make sure you use 100% sisal rope to cover the pipes.

IMG_8539Resize.jpg

We've also made something similar to these - more elaborate than the ones they show - and the chins absolutely love it. If you do, just make sure you use 100% sisal rope to cover the pipes.

IMG_8539Resize.jpg
Those are so cool, 1. where did you get the rope, 2. where did you get the pipes.

IMG_8539Resize.jpg

On a side note, that is so the rug that is in my living room. :p

If I recall, we got both the rope and pipes from Home Depot (either that or Lowe's)... it's 3/4" PVC with the appropriate connectors. The pipe comes in 5' pieces, but a simple hand saw easily cuts through it. We used Elmer's wood glue to help secure the rope, and it's held up fairly well so far :))

THANKS everyone for your ideas! Wow Bethany the one you built seems amazing! haha :p I'll take a look a those links you posted and definitely PM about the one you built. I can totally see my baby boy jumping all over those pipes in your pic Cerlynn

Last edited:
I think he was trying to figure out how he could rip off the sisal rope... silly boy

Back