Is every new purchased female pregnant?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why that is, but I actually had a girl ask me why I didn't let my boy and girls be with eachother. "Why don't you let them get together?" Um, because I don't want babies... She breeds rats and hamsters, selling them to petstores. I couldn't do that..

For the original question, it seems there are so MANY irresponsible pet owners out there. :(

I personally don't believe every newly purchased female is pregnant. What I believe is that so many new people are getting yelled at in the breeding and babies sections they lie and say it's a surprise kit because they need help, want help, but don't want to get yelled at in the process.

Gosh, I sure hope not! Now I'm nervous since I'll be picking up my 2 females in a few weeks. But I think the breeder is responsible and they should be fine.

That's a good point; I would question a breeder or seller on the fertility status if the chin I was buying looked like a bowling ball with fur.

I agree with Laurie too. Some people (certainly not all) realize they acted irresponsibly and come to this forum because they geniunely want help. They say it was a surprise kit because they don't wanna get slammed.

If they don't want to get slammed, they should just admit they made a mistake and didn't really know what they were getting into. Then separate the chinchillas and follow our advice. It's not a horribly demanding procedure and it's not difficult to follow. We all make mistakes, but that is not the problem...it's the people who insist on continuing to breed their crappy pet store chins AFTER we've told them not to, or keep getting "oops" babies out of a rescued pair.

Obviously, not all females are sold pregnant. I don't believe I've ever sold a pregnant chinchilla, though I have sold a couple possibly pregnant females to other responsible breeders (never a pet person wanting to "experience" babies). Though I do see your point that it seems the breeding and babies section has been flooded lately with "I bought a possibly pregnant chinchilla" threads. Maybe it's just that time of year and things will go back to normal soon.

Well I don't think a lot of the new people who have a pregnant chin or new kits get "yelled" at off the bat. I've read quite a bit of those types of threads and the ones that start to get heated are the ones where they continue to put their animals in jeopardy or blatenly lie because they (the new members) know what they did whether it was on purpose or not.

Starting a thread based on a lie is only going to get heated responses eventually and people only WANT to remember those types of threads.

I agree with Sandi, the only threads I recall the OPs getting scolded were the ones where they refuse to listen to our advice and/or make bogus excuses. Those who admit their mistakes, or genuinely are oopsied, we are generally polite about making sure they correct the situation.

However, this forum does not have a short memory either. If a mistake is repeated and 16 weeks later they're asking the same questions, we're going to put two and two together, in which case politeness evidently did not work, so there's no need to try it again.

I've noticed this trend as well. I suppose people could be lying...but I also think some individuals who like to pretend to be "rescuers" are actually seeking out pregnant females purposefully.

I've taken in over 20 rescues in the past 3 years and only once did I have a pregnant female...

I haven't had a single pregnant female come into the rescue yet. One that could have been had she been a bit older, but luckily wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it can and does happen, but not near as much as people would like us to believe.

Last edited:
It does happen. It seems every pair of chins I see up on Craigslist is a male/female pair. The first chin I bought with the intention of breeding - from a breeder who turned out to be not so responsible - was pregnant when I got her and I was not told she had been exposed beforehand. That breeder had sold other already pregnant females to other people at the same time.

There are plenty of people out there who don't take breeding or rehoming chins seriously. There seems to be a myth floating around that chins need to have a buddy, and that they get along better with opposite sex chins than one of the same sex.... So, no, I don't automatically believe everyone is lying when they say they got an already pregnant chin. I just wish my champion, breeding quality chins were as prolific as the rescues/rehomes/petonlies seem to be.

Last edited:
I think people tend to translate what is known as true for other species over to chins - ie two unneutered male dogs will generally fight, when that's not the case with chins. More often than not I have people say OH good then I'm ok with a male/female whatever the same sex is.

I agree that people are dodging getting "yelled at" however I honestly think this forum's responses are nothing compared to some of the heat I saw on old cnq. I think everyone genuinely tries to help everyone no matter how bad the mistake could be, whether it's what the person wants to hear is another matter.

I'd say maybe once or twice a year I run into a pregnant rescue. The rest of the time they are in same sex pairs or by themselves. It's pretty rare for me to have rescue girls actually come in pregnant - they only are usually when people surrender their breeding pairs that they were intentionally breeding.

And, Mish - the rescue mamas that have their babies shortly after they arrive here always have three to five babies and all of them always survive! :p

. I just wish my champion, breeding quality chins were as prolific as the rescues/rehomes/petonlies seem to be.

Amen to that!

I've had a couple pregnant rescues pass through here. It's unfortunate, but it seems that the majority of folks around here have male/female pairs. I've separated opposite sex pairs that have come here - some even had 3-4 mth old babies still living with them. People just don't get it, or they don't really care.

I've also had a few pregnant rescues.

That's a good point; I would question a breeder or seller on the fertility status if the chin I was buying looked like a bowling ball with fur
Most chins don't show pregnancy - not even the ones that drop triplets sometimes. Some chins just get fat, particularly on pet diets.

I just wish my champion, breeding quality chins were as prolific as the rescues/rehomes/petonlies seem to be.
Agreed!!

On the other hand, I've also been to blame - I hold retired females four months after closing but had one male literally knock them up through the wire. One had babies four months to the day she left, and another two months after. Only two in 15 years isn't too bad though.

It is pretty well known that if you want your top show giganto perfect female to have babies you sell it to another person. They usually have them within the next four months. :rolleyes:

It does happen. It seems every pair of chins I see up on Craigslist is a male/female pair.

I know, the same seems true on similar sites over here, too. Why do people do this with chins, it isn't typical with other types of animal?:banghead: It's fine if they know what they're doing, of course, but most of the time, they clearly don't.

If the chin was from a petstore, I wouldn't actually be all that surprised if she was pregnant when bought, though, miss-sexing is so common. I've bought a pair of supposedly male Campbell's hamsters from the petshop before (female was pregnant, and sadly died), and our last bunny was most definitely not female even though he was supposed to be when sold! I definitely wouldn't trust most petstores to sex chins correctly, so anyone buying from them really needs to be aware, and to check the sexes of not only their new chin but the chins they were in with.

Latest posts

Back