Hypothetical question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I don't see it totally tanking just because the current big ranchers are retiring

I have to agree with this. IF it is these ranchers that are keeping the quality up, then really it doesn't matter? I mean if them retiring is going to crash the whole chin world then it probably very well deserves to be crashed if a handful of breeders are able to crash it with their singular actions. These ranchers will be missed most definately, but it is now time for others to step up and have their time to shine, this is the way it is, and the way things have always been in all aspects of life, the moon waxes and the moon wans.

I definitely agree with having less to choose from come show time - I'm just barely scraping up 5 animals to show at York this coming year and hoping that they all continue to look as good as they do now in April.

However, I think now is the time for some of the breeders who are just starting to make their names to really step up. We will never have 1000 animals, 100 is our limit and we've been hanging out close to 30 for some time now, but there are breeders out there who have proven that a smaller herd can consistently produce quality animals. It just means taking the time and effort to do so.

Look how many years and how many different large and small breeders have tried to take the National Top Breeder Award away from Vin Samavia. This includes myself and the two breeders who just sent their herds to Mexico who had many more animals to choose from than Vin who with only 150 Breeding females still beat everyone for 21 years.

Don't get me wrong, Vin is a great breeder and I have often admired his animals, but he did have access to some of the best standards in the dark star herd. So he didn't have to maintain his own standard lines, which helps a lot with mutations. I know I would do much better if I didn't have to maintain good standard lines to add back into my mutations. I will definitely miss the big ranchers, for many things including their advice, humor, animals, and as competition. I plan to take a trip to Mexico at some point in the next few years to pick Gary's brain and to buy new bloodlines.

I do not think we should all give up and declare the end of the chinchilla world, big ranchers have retired before and will continue. I look forward to seeing who will step up and fill in and how things go. One thing is for sure, it will be interesting. :)

Also, just because the "big" breeders are retiring and selling out doesn't mean they won't continue to mentor. Just because they are not involved physically with the breeding anymore doesn't mean they aren't going to help the smaller and up-an-comings. I'm pretty sure Gary will continue to help out Tab and others, just as Dave Woods continued/continues to help others on the Eastern coast, such as Megan. I don't know if Mish was mentored by Woods, Megan is the only person I can 100% think of who I know was mentored by him.

Ellis only has around 100 females in breeding from what I have been told. The combined herds of Ellis and Vin still only total 250 breeding females. Ralph has also told me he intends to stay involved with chinchilla and will still be around to shows.

May I ask how many chins you have, how many have you bred and shown and why you think you are a expert at showing and breeding chins?

I have never claimed to be an expert at anything chin. I have attended shows, though, and I have listened to the judges and asked questions. What I say is what I learned at the three shows I’ve attended (2010 CA State Show, 2010 Spring Field Day, and 2010 Washington Show), and I can certainly share what I have learned. That’s what forums are for.

As far as the quality at the field day which is what you seem to be questioning, all one had to do was listen to the judge. Gary Neubauer was the judge. He started the show by telling everyone he would be inflating scores from what they had been at the state show just a few months before. In other words, a first at the field day would not necessarily have equated to a first at the state show. Then, as he went through judging, he actually identified for those in attendance which might have placed first at the state show by stating something like “This one might have placed first at state.” I think there was even one that he stated something like “This one might have placed first at nationals.” So he was very open in telling everyone the rest of them were most likely lower than first at those levels of competition.

People on the forum had warned me that this happens, and it’s a new concept for me. I was happy to see that Gary openly stated what he was doing and said he was doing it to encourage the newer breeders whose animals weren’t yet up to first at state or national levels. He also clearly stated that many animals should never have been there even if it was a field day. One chin he actually had taken off the table saying it wasn’t worth judging it even at a field day. Others got fourths and fifths, and he again asked people to quit bringing such animals to shows – even field days.

Those on this forum who were in attendance can verify all of this. It was no secret, and you didn’t have to be an expert to hear and understand. I was happy to see that this was openly stated to ensure everyone understood the rules of the field day and weren’t under the illusion that their animals would have placed at those levels at other shows.

To me it is very important for people to understand that the show really matters. If you’re buying a breeding animal and want top quality, find out how it placed and definitely know what kind of show it was. Field day scores can be inflated and mis-leading. Even winning a class at a field day needs to be seriously questioned. We saw classes with only a couple of chins and only one first place. The judge did not say the first place animal might have placed first at state, yet he still gave it a 1A in keeping with his stated goal of encouraging the newer/smaller breeders (some of which as you say have been breeding for years). So if I’m looking to buy, a first place at state, even if it was the lowest first in the competition, could be a better buy than a 1A at a field day.

I learned that knowing the judge also makes a big difference when buying animals. Jack Humphries came down from Canada and judged the Washington show. He gave more firsts than I saw at the California shows. I was told that he scores a chin as a first place if he believes it can be a productive animal in a breeding program. (Of course it has to be paired properly before it’s productive, but that’s a different question.) This made sense when I listened to his comments. So a first place under his judging must be viewed differently than the CA State Show. The Washington show was also an MCBA show, and there were a lot of classes many of which were very small (sometimes one animal). So again, placing 1A or 1B at those shows needs to be understood in relation to the class size and quality which isn’t easy to do if you’re not in attendance at the show.

Linda

P.S. The word “hamster” does not have a “p” in it.

As a answer to your snarky remark, I don't CARE about hamsters nor do I CARE if I can SPELL hamsters. You never DID answer my question, how many chinchillas DO you have and how many have you bred or shown? I went to 2 state shows and one field day, and I actually showed 2 chins, groomed them myself and both recieved 1st place at the state show, whoopie, I would never even consider piping in on a show discussion like you do, acting like a "expert" and name dropping.

Last edited:
Linda, basically what everyone got from what you've said is small or newer breeders can't keep up with the big boys on quality.

Then all you just said was a field day is not judged the same as a state show... no crap?! That's why it's a field day NOT a state show. Likewise a state show is not judged the same as a National show... it doesn't really take a genius to realize this, this is the basic hierarchy of the show world. In some breeds, for example quarter horses, you must earn enough points at lower shows to qualify for higher shows such as world. This is not a new concept.

Likewise... each judge is a different person so OF COURSE they judge differently.

From all you've talked about what most people are getting from your words that just love to tumble out of your mouth is that you went to a field day, the judging was more lenient, no "big ranchers" participated so therefore the smaller/newer ranchers aren't as good. Seriously?

Were all smaller/newer ranchers there? With all of their animals in prime and show ready? Kind of ridiculous to judge an entire book by the picture on the cover because you can't take the time to read it don't you think? Since you're going to base everything you know, explaining in small words things people already know and have known to be the way it works, on basically one of the shows you've attended then that's what you're doing.

Each group holds their shows different, each judge judges different, each animal will do different at a different show. That's why the judge says more often than not " today this is our top animal" that mean tomorrow a third place animal could be primed and beat it out without question. A smaller or newer breeder can simply not know how to properly prep or groom their animals, or they might only be able to attend one show and hope their animals are in show condition for that show, that doesn't mean they can't produce or don't produce quality.

What most people are saying is that before you go around preaching to the choir or even the patrons, that maybe you should get a little more experience yourself before telling everyone the sky is falling.

You also have to realize that the smaller breeders/young ranchers of California are more concerned about supporting our branch than doing well at field days. While we do bring the majority of our good animals, some of us will go out of our way to increase numbers at a show if we feel it's necessary.

At the spring field day, I got a call telling me that one of our hobby breeders that typically brings about 10 animals had only brought 2. After calling around, we had a total of 30 animals that were going to be at that field day. I grabbed everything I possibly could and ended up bringing 15 animals, far past my 6 show conditioned animals. Many of them did very poorly, they were chins I already knew the faults of and planned on selling. I knew they wouldn't do well and I didn't care because it is more important to me to keep a field day interesting with more animals and to support my branch than it is for me to win GSC at a field day. If all the small breeders JUST brought their best and in prime animals, we would have field days with about 20 chinchillas maximum on the show table. That's not a learning experience for anyone. You should be grateful that we brought our crap to help you learn more about faults instead of picking at every little thing and saying we have poor quality compared to the ranchers. I've taken multiple 1st places at the state level and gotten many comments from judges that my animals would have placed higher if only the show were a month later.

Please also note, MCBA has 1A and 1B placings, ECBC does not. ECBC has Class Champions and Reserve Class Champions and then the Grand Show Champion and Reserve.

We should all be concerned with supporting our chapter! Membership is down in the MCBA, and shows are a huge part of raising money for the chapters - we need the chapters to put on the shows in the first place!

I have grabbed animals I didn't plan on showing to make sure we would have a good number as well. Sometimes with smaller shows you have to do so

We should all be concerned with supporting our chapter! Membership is down in the MCBA, and shows are a huge part of raising money for the chapters - we need the chapters to put on the shows in the first place!

Maybe I'll reshow some animals then this year at York to bring in a bit more money. I have a pet girl I can toss in, too. I doubt she'll do well, but it's an extra $8.

Linda, you also need to realize that by showing "crap" animals, people get to learn what NOT to breed for and from. I know at York (and maybe other smaller shows, I tend to only make it to York, but since I'm actually going to be breeding now, I'll have to make it to more shows), they allow audience members to come up and actually see how the judging is done, and the breeders who come up get a 1-on-1 lesson with the judge with things pointed out. If you didn't have the poor quality animals on the table, people wouldn't see the flaws and get to learn them.

I am definitely one of the small breeders that will bring extra animals to support the shows and chapters. Also sometimes I have an animal born that I just don't like, but I can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about it. So I will show that animal so that I can get the judges comments on it and learn more about what it is that I don't like. I will also show some of my standard recessive carriers, which are breeding tools and shouldn't be shown, to get a better idea of what qualities I am working with. So yes, some of the standards I show are absolute crap as standards, but are actually not bad for recessive carriers.

I too brought animals I never would have other wise brought. I did it in support of the chapter. Most were older animals out of prime etc.
I wasn't expecting the Washington show to be as big as it was this fall, and hopefully the next one will be too!
Some criticism is always good. For myself I've been to maybe 5 shows tops. Yeah it's nice to hear the good. I want to hear and see for example what a good animal is vs a bad one. People can easily become barn blind. If you have a crappy animal, seeing it in person next to something nice well, is a learning experience in itself!

I have taken as many as 50 animals at one time to shows with a mix from low end pet animals all the way up to my best just to help with the educational end. It helps not only the others showing or watching but when you have new trainee judges so they have more animals of various condition and quality to evaluate with the judge.

I have thrown animals into the shows that I have just picked up at the show or took there for someone else that were not intending to show just to add to numbers of the show as well.

As a newer person to showing ( this will be year 3) I never thought to bring some of my other animals not ready. Or older ones that I know would take a hit. It would be educational for those just starting out.

I do understand the differences between a field event and a national event. But many do not. My goal one day is to make the MCBA nationals with my own breeding offspring. And then perhaps head to the Empress. Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm pleased with my results thus far buying animals, showing animals and now looking forward to mine growing out for show.

I would like to make a suggestion and perhaps someone can help out with this one. I live in Virginia and almost all of the educational events are just too far for me to travel to. Any chance a chapter can host a web cam so we can sit in on the events? Heck I'd be willing to pay in advance with paypal. It's a new tech world out here and it would be a great opportunity to bring in more revenue while giving us what we need the most. Education from the best miinds out there.

It's a new tech world out here and it would be a great opportunity to bring in more revenue while giving us what we need the most. Education from the best miinds out there.

I agree. That would be AWESOME.

Back